Possible subraces datamined

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: Possible subraces datamined

Unread post by Teigan »

I was excited. But then, I thought about it, and it occurred to me that if these are really the sub-races, and especially if they are the only sub-races, this might well end up similar thing to how getting a second pet went. They'll give us something almost but not entirely unlike what we asked for. I'm still holding out hope for those Wildhammer dwarves and Mag'har orcs.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I guess we’ll see soon enough! These could easily have been nothing more than placeholder entries for testing a potential new system. Or they could be part of something diffferent to “subraces”, such as a system to transform the look of your current character into something a bit different. Or... something else we haven’t thought of. Hopefully it will be clear in a week and a half :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I'm crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath, that these are just prototypes. Others have already mentioned most of these, but I'd rather see other "subraces". Wildhammer dwarves, krokul and/or broken, and/or high elves would be nice for alliance. Maybe even mechagnomes. Dark Rangers and undead trolls would be good to flesh out the forsaken (pun intended). Taunka and Yaungol would be fun for Tauren, but I expect they'd need too much helm model tweaking. Maybe that's a problem with krokul/broken too.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Just a small thing, but Krokul is just the Draenei word for the Broken. They are the same thing. :)

As much as I would love Taunka and Yaungol, they probably won't happen. Not only would helmets need to be updated, but they use the vanilla Tauren animations, and they both do not have female models. Same goes for the Broken.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

They're not quite the same thing. Broken have toes and use the old tauren rigging. Krokul have hooves, and use the Draenei rigging. I don't expect blizzard to spend a lot of time making new models, (just adding special effects and new skins). But if any potential subrace were to get a model added, it should be female Broken/Krokul. TBH, they should already be in the game for npcs.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The one complication I can see with adding Broken as a subrace is that they’d also have to add class restrictions by subrace. Broken can’t reach the Light and so can’t be Paladins (or presumably Priests). This is a pretty important part of the Draenei story, as it led to the Broken finding Shamanism and introducing it to Draenei culture. It’s doable though, just an extra complexity.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

@Xota. Wowpedia Page on Broken: "The Broken (also known as Broken Ones and Krokul or krokul in Draenei) are a devolved sub-race of draenei who live in Outland, mutated after being exposed to the fel energies wielded by orc warlocks. Many tribes have joined or become enslaved by the Illidari. When the Dark Portal reopened, several of them tried to get to it and escape Outland. Another breed of Broken, called by their draenei name Krokul to differentiate them, are found on Argus. These Krokul have been hiding on Argus since the draenei flight from the Burning Legion. They look slightly different than Outland's Broken, having upright bodies and hooves, likely because they were mutated by Argus's fel energies instead of the red mist."

I agree, female Broken should be in the game, and they were working on a female model back during TBC. In the files you can find a modified, headless female Tauren model.

@Wain. I don't think class restrictions would be a big problem. If the current datamined subraces are real, they will have to have class restrictions. Nightborne cannot be Druids and, due to the fact that they have no religion and do not use the Light or Void, can't be Priests. Void Elves, assuming they are High Elves, wouldn't be able to be Priests or Paladins since the Void and Light cannot interact (See Turalyon and Alleria's audio dramas). Highmountain Tauren aren't unable to be Priests, Paladins, and Druids, but they do not have any amongst them, and have not had the time and training to become them. Lightforged Draenei would not be able to be Shadow Priests (since Light and Void cannot interact), and they wouldn't be Shamans since they are not apart of the main group of Draenei. They are unable to become Shaman, but they don't have the time nor training to be currently.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

Wain wrote:The one complication I can see with adding Broken as a subrace is that they’d also have to add class restrictions by subrace. Broken can’t reach the Light and so can’t be Paladins (or presumably Priests). This is a pretty important part of the Draenei story, as it led to the Broken finding Shamanism and introducing it to Draenei culture. It’s doable though, just an extra complexity.
Oo, that's right. I've just been thinking about how much more fitting it would be to make a Draenei shaman into a Broken. I totally forgot about the other way around.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xota wrote:
Wain wrote:The one complication I can see with adding Broken as a subrace is that they’d also have to add class restrictions by subrace. Broken can’t reach the Light and so can’t be Paladins (or presumably Priests). This is a pretty important part of the Draenei story, as it led to the Broken finding Shamanism and introducing it to Draenei culture. It’s doable though, just an extra complexity.
Oo, that's right. I've just been thinking about how much more fitting it would be to make a Draenei shaman into a Broken. I totally forgot about the other way around.
Yeah. I love my Draenei, he's my main and all :) But I think the racial story would have been far more compelling and nuanced (if it's possible to say 'nuanced' without sounding like a wanky arts critic :D) if they'd gone for Broken instead. They could have left Draenei as an overpowerful NPC super-race, which is more how they were originally portrayed.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Draenei, or rather, "good" Eredar, did not exist prior to TBC. Originally, Eredar were the most evil of demons, and they were the ones that corrupted Sargeras. Pre-TBC lore was that the Draenei and the Eredar had no relation to one another. Draenei were natives to Outland that looked like the Broken and Lost Ones. After TBC, it was changed to the Eredar having been largely corrupted by Sargeras, and the good ones that escaped becoming the Draenei.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

That's more what I meant, that the Eredar were very powerful beings even before joining the Legion and hence tend to fill a lot of their upper ranks. But I'm going way OT now ;)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:As much as I would love Taunka and Yaungol, they probably won't happen. Not only would helmets need to be updated, but they use the vanilla Tauren animations, and they both do not have female models. Same goes for the Broken.
Yeah, this is a really frustrating situation for a number of racial models. I think it's really not an acceptable way to cut corners by either making the females of new races invisible, or just giving them the boring old model as if they're not as important to the racial look. It's happened so many times now. I'm not too surprised for older ones, which date back to the days when the artists thought that it was suitable to give male characters sensible armour and female characters skimpy platekinis, but I really would have expected better of them these days.