Returned to Find Guild moved

Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Returned to Find Guild moved

Unread post by Astratia »

I've been absent from WoW for about a year and a half.
For as long as I remember, I've been with a raiding guild on an RP server. I was only on this RP server because the person who first invited me to play was on it - I had no idea the differences in servers at the time.

Now, returning to WoW I found the guild I was with has moved - to a PVP server. Now, normally I wouldn't have any issue jumping to a new realm to join back up with the people I know and remember... however, it's on a PVP server.

I can't stand PVP.

Not only that, but I'm mostly back, not to raid but to just mount and pet collect. I could see PVP really hindering my enjoyment to play my main character on that server.

So, I'm debating on what to do. Stay where I'm at at a low population RP server, move to a PVE server, or risk it and jump to the PVP server (which I hear is high alliance) and be back with my guild?

Art Credit to Lupin Dark Wolf

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Returned to Find Guild moved

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I would say to go ahead and move. They are changing how PvP servers work in the next xpac by allowing you to opt into or out of PvP. Those who opt in can only see others that have done the same. Same goes for those that opt out. This also applies to PvE servers.

You might have to deal with PvP for a little while, but it wouldn't be for a terribly long time :)
Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Astratia »

Valnaaros wrote:I would say to go ahead and move. They are changing how PvP servers work in the next xpac by allowing you to opt into or out of PvP. Those who opt in can only see others that have done the same. Same goes for those that opt out. This also applies to PvE servers.

You might have to deal with PvP for a little while, but it wouldn't be for a terribly long time :)
Oh wow, really? I didn't know this, but sounds nice :)
Well, nice for those who are like me and don't want to get attacked by a much better PVPer randomly lol.

Thank you for the information!

Now just have to decide what to do about my character name. I have one on reserve because 'mine' is taken by someone else. The one I reserved is really, really close to my current, with one minor thing I had to do.

The 'i' in the name is 'ì' :3

Thank you again! This makes the idea of moving over much easier :)

Art Credit to Lupin Dark Wolf

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Very happy to help :)
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Speaking as someone who was a carebear on a PvP server for... twelve? years to play with friends?

Don't do it. Especially if you're just back, only do it if you KNOW your friends and guildmates are still playing actively. It doesn't matter right now what BfA is bringing—BfA doesn't even have a release date yet. It's not pre-orderable, unless something magical happened while I was asleep today. The PvP changes are a light at the end of the tunnel for carebears stuck on PvP servers now, but it's not going to save you from bad times in the interim.

I mean, I guess if you're Horde you're probably going to have a faction advantage unless the server they moved to is large enough that it doesn't get CRZd in current content (Proudmoore is like that, Korgath was not). You'll have a faction advantage in old content regardless because I've never seen old zones NOT get CRZd. Faction advantage doesn't mean a whole lot when it only takes one or two PvP-focused individuals who think that chain killing you is hilarious and totally worth their time.

I know that's pretty strongly against, but... I just... euuuuuuuuugh, you know? lol I spent something like $250 over the course of those twelve years following the banner of my friends and guildmates from PvP server to PvP server, while we tried to find a better deal. Being the minority faction on a low-pop server blows; being the minority faction on a high-pop server blows about ten times worse, and being the majority faction on a low-pop server used to be great but with the CRZ changes now means absolutely nothing.

Know what you're getting into, and make sure you have a support network once you're there.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Aye, it would be wise to make a character on there and see if they are still around and everything, but I don't see any real reason why she shouldn't go ahead and move if they are there. Yes, BfA is still several months away (probably August or September), but as long as she has friends there, the wait shouldn't be bad.