Druid Guardian Challenge Help?

Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Druid Guardian Challenge Help?

Unread post by Talihawk »

Is there anyone who's done the guardian challenge on an alt that would be willing to help me? I don't tank in dungeons or raids so I know I'm totally clueless, but I've watched several videos and I still am doing absolutely abysmally. I'm not generating enough damage to kill the first boss, so it's taking me way too long to kill him. Which I've only manged to do once. I suspect it is because I'm missing nuances that other people who play tank more often aren't mentioning in the tutorial because they assume you know to use or do these things.

Thanks!
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Druid Guardian Challenge Help?

Unread post by Rawr »

What bear legos do you gots? If you want to cheese it (and most people do) you need the Luffa. :mrgreen:

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Rawr wrote:What bear legos do you gots? If you want to cheese it (and most people do) you need the Luffa. :mrgreen:
Unless you're like me, and the Luffas ABSOLUTELY JUST DO NOT WANNA DROP FOR YOU. I swear, those hate me. :(

That said, I did do the challenge as a Guardian Druid; and this alt is by far not a Guardian-main by far (I played her basically only as Feral up until literally Antorus release). I have since learned a bit more about tanking (well I've tanked N and H Antorus and a few M+15), but I mean, at the time I was in relatively the same boat.

I was probably around ilvl 936 on Guardian druid when I finally beat it. Again, people with more tank experience than me had an easier time (but all my friends who did it had Luffas too). The first boss (Inquisitor) basically requires you to extend your Thrash radius. I used the Chestpeice Leggo (Ekowraithe? Itextends the radius of your attacks and use the talent "Balance Affinity") and Elize's Everlasting Pants (gives you more Thrash Stacks).

Chest Leggo + Balance Affinity should give you the radius compensation that Luffa's would if you don't have them. Anything else I would honestly stack up boosting your dps. In terms of damage taken, I would use most of my Ironfur or Bristling Fur on ghost adds.

Your goal is mostly to make sure to Moonfire the eyes as they spawn (1-2 Moonfires is enough) and ignore the Infernals. Make sure that they don't hit you with knockback, but you dont need to do anything other than your AoE damage to get rid of them. They damage themselves. Try to save Velen's healing pools on the ground for an emergency.

When the ghosts come out, I used Incapcitating Roar if they were about to start finishing their attacks. Sometimes my CD wouldn't be up yet by the 2nd round of ghosts, so I would use my Umbral Moonglaives trinket (super helpful trinket for this fight imo). If all else failed, I would then use a Velen healing sphere to stun em. Every once in awhile I would Skull Bash-charge the Inquistor to get my free Mangle off.

Just keep thrashs on the Inquistor eventually he will die.

The next Boss, Kruul, is basically an all out DPS check/race. I would save pots and Heroism (Drums) for him and him alone. I did also use Ironfur and Survival Instincts and Ursoc abilities on him to survive the damage coming in.

Talihawk
Petopia Artist

I do have the luffa, pants and chest leggos. However my ilvl is only 930. Health is 9941k . I was using the pants and the luffas in my last attempt.

I suppose my biggest issues are getting killed by the elementals the most often and not being able to maintain my health without resorting to the orbs or potions.

That's the other thing people are saying they are killing the eyes with one shot, and it's taking more like 3 for me. Why is my druid so under powered? I've noticed that out in the world too, my other druid on another server who's lower ilvled and isn't maxed out on her weapon, seems to do more damage in balance than my worgen druid. Her being a nightelf shouldn't make that big of a difference should it?

Here's his info tho I'm not sure it's up to date. https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... l/lykhanis
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

If you don't have timers of some sort, or audible alarms, I suggest get them. So that you don't use your thrash right before you need it to kill the shrieking ghosts.

I switched out trinkets, so I don't remember which ones I had on my successful run, but at least one of them was a dps trinket from Life Finds a Way. Devilsaur Shock Baton helps a lot for killing the eyes (Devilsaur's Bite for everything that isn't eyes). I know 880 is low for trinkets, the the effects are pretty handy. If you're still not doing enough on eyes, use the galactic guardian talent. Macro moonfire so it targets eyes if any are up. I have no idea how many times I hit the eyes with moonfire because of that. Other trinkets that do bonus damage (and some kind of interupt or stun) on damage or spells can be substituted.
For your relics (and netherlight crucible talents) get as many that increase thrash as possible since the bulk of your damage in phase 1 will be from thrash.

I don't remember what my second legendary was, it was probably either the thrash pants or the Frenzied Rejuv boots. If you're having trouble staying alive, use a defensive legendary for your second one. The thrash pants won't help kill the shrieking guys, and you can make up the damage on the boss.
It's a preference thing, but I'm pretty sure I used typhoon for emergency aoe interrupt, instead of bash. I used the orbs for interrupting too, after the dudes got to Velenn. When I was dancing around the infernals, I tried to stay a moderate distance away from Velenn, so the infernals wouldn't kick me when I was cleaning up the adds at Velenn. I saved all my bursts (except the initial pre-pot) for the start of phase two. Which was hectic, and I actually got booted off the edge but the npcs got the last few percent before the next wave of shrieking guys.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

yeah i've got lots of things macroed, downloaded the dbm challenges module, not sure what the timers are?
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

TMW (Tell Me When) and a few WeakAuras will help greatly. TMW is nice if you don't feel like tweeking everything, just drag stuff to where you want it or turn it off. WA for timers and sound notifications.

Links:
TMW string, just do what it says http://www.chesder.com/druid.html download the addon from where ever you do that.

WA strings https://www.method.gg/guides/guardian-d ... ra-strings Dont use the Iron fur CD or the Frenzied Regen one, they don't work. https://wago.io/weakauras/classes/druid/guardian for everything else. If you find something you like the look of better you can replace TMW with a WA string. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:

Talihawk
Petopia Artist

Cool thanks RAWR I'll give those a try!!
Blackavar
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Blackavar »

some things that I did that I found helped alot (I had regen boots and 5 stack thrash pants I think at 932-935 ilvl) are;
- for some reason there is a huge difference with velen in melee range of the inquisitor. Way more dmg output from him.
-I made target/spell macros for the eyes and a target/int for inquis
-change the interrupt timer sound to something your not used to. I used a loud trumpet horn.
-if you're further away from the elementals they wont knock you back even in their cone. its only within I think 5-10 yards
-save your incapacitating roar as a back up for inquis or to stun aoe adds if they dont die fast.
-try to only use regen in first phase. my big deal was saving cds so i used orbs and regen mostly.
-if inquis is low and ur incarnation is still on cd. wait til the incarnation is up. major difference there.

I had the same thing with the eyes took 1-3 shots depending on if I had crit or not.
I hope you get it soon!

Ty Thorka for the amazing Sig and Avatar!

Talihawk
Petopia Artist

a guildie gave me some advice on my relics, i'm trying to get them all to help with jagged claws, that apparently will help a lot with my lack of damage, but I'll try some of those ideas too, thanks!
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

150 or so tries later I finally have my Werebear. Yay. Thanks for your help ya'll!
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Talihawk wrote:150 or so tries later I finally have my Werebear. Yay. Thanks for your help ya'll!
Congrats!! :D :headbang: :headbang:

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

congrats!