So the Burning (spoilers)

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: So the Burning (spoilers)

Unread post by Valnaaros »

@Xota. We know from the novellas that burning Teldrassil was always Sylvanas' plan B. Unfortunately, the Warbringer for Sylvanas did a very poor job of showing that and, indeed, made it look like it was done out of spite. As for Sylvanas' soul, there is no indication yet that her soul has been splintered. It's possible, though what Sylvanas has done isn't exactly out of character.

I'm hoping for the same. Mal could have a new world tree planted where Teldrassil once was or something like that.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xota wrote:Teldrassil the stump looked horrible.
I completely agree. I guess back in Classic they couldn't have constructed a model massive enough to do it justice without breaking the game, but perhaps they should have always gone for a fake backdrop of a massive tree and then a portal to the city.

I hope if they do regrow it that it looks like a real tree.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I almost wonder if they burned it so they didn't have to deal with it....
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

Teigan wrote:I almost wonder if they burned it so they didn't have to deal with it....
Going by the novella, everything points back to the Warbringer's cutscene. Sylvanas going from calmly being content with laying siege and taking Teldrassil, to the conversation with the dying Sentinel reminding her of the Ranger-General she was and the order coming from there. As it's written even Nathanos as her right hand was completely shocked and taken aback by the order to burn the tree.

The insinuation seems to be that at some point there will be a showdown between Saurfang and Sylvanas for what I suppose will be "the soul" of the Horde. The story does a better job of explaining how Saurfang even got talked into planning the strategy for the battle that led to these events.

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Again, this crap should be IN. The. Game.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Of course it should be in the game, but it doesn't change the fact that it is canon lore.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Nope.
Not if it's not in the game it's not.
Argue all you want, but if I, as a player, have not come across any of this information while playing the game, then it is nothing more than fan-fic.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That's your choice if you don't want to acknowledge it as canon. But in that case, if anything outside of WoW is non-canon, most of WoW's xpacs wouldn't have happened since their events were caused by other events in novels and short stories.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I do sympathise with you, Sukurachi. This multi-media format that Blizzard are moving towards is starting to alienate some players, and, if you're invested in the lore, it's causing big gaps in the understanding of what's going on. I get if it's something small, but it's becoming a problem in that this is major lore we're now dealing with - and it's not accessible in-game. That being said, Blizzard is adapting their means of putting out material to their players and, even if it's not wanted, it's something the players will need to adjust to.

Again, I sympathise with you, because this whole War of Thorns could have been dealt with so much better than what they've done (example A being Tyrande in-game vs Tyrande novella), but it is canon. That's not really something you can say 'nope, didn't happen' to, I'm afraid, or else I'd 'nope, didn't happen' to a lot of things, too.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

The only book I like to read for lore are the Chronicles ones. That's some good shit there.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Setanta wrote:
Teigan wrote:I almost wonder if they burned it so they didn't have to deal with it....
Going by the novella, everything points back to the Warbringer's cutscene. Sylvanas going from calmly being content with laying siege and taking Teldrassil, to the conversation with the dying Sentinel reminding her of the Ranger-General she was and the order coming from there. As it's written even Nathanos as her right hand was completely shocked and taken aback by the order to burn the tree.

The insinuation seems to be that at some point there will be a showdown between Saurfang and Sylvanas for what I suppose will be "the soul" of the Horde. The story does a better job of explaining how Saurfang even got talked into planning the strategy for the battle that led to these events.
By "they" I meant Blizzard and by "deal with it" I meant graphically update it because it was a stump. ;) Which was not particularly clear in what I said, sorry! I was replying to the statement that the stump was kinda ugly and assumed it would be understood :)
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Setanta »

Between reading the novellas and playing both scenarios, I'm starting to see where the long play in the situation can potentially go and it actually holds some excitement for me.

Sylvanas is definitely craftier than the playerbase is giving her credit for, and there will absolutely be a showdown between her and Saurfang at some point down the road. Not to mention she has had the best one liner in this entire bit with "Muzzle your dog" :)

Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Setanta »

Teigan wrote:By "they" I meant Blizzard and by "deal with it" I meant graphically update it because it was a stump. ;) Which was not particularly clear in what I said, sorry! I was replying to the statement that the stump was kinda ugly and assumed it would be understood :)
no worries. they may update it. I've only seen the stump from darkshore earlier because that was where my orc was camped when I went to handle the lordaeron part of the scenario. sometimes my reading skills aren't up to par because I'm distracted :)

Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Setanta wrote:Not to mention she has had the best one liner in this entire bit with "Muzzle your dog" :)
I guffawed when she said that. it was so timely and on point.

"Step on no pets!"

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Sukurachi wrote:
Setanta wrote:Not to mention she has had the best one liner in this entire bit with "Muzzle your dog" :)
I guffawed when she said that. it was so timely and on point.
Ahahaha it was so good.

God that final cinematic was just *heart eyes* So satisfying.

My queen! <3 Slay them all :D
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I have to say Janias facial expressions looked a bit off. Maybe that's just my animator brain nit picking but they did not look right. She looked a bit bug eyed in some of them.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

cowmuflage wrote:I have to say Janias facial expressions looked a bit off. Maybe that's just my animator brain nit picking but they did not look right. She looked a bit bug eyed in some of them.
That was just the crazy seeping out.

"Step on no pets!"

Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Setanta »

Sukurachi wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:I have to say Janias facial expressions looked a bit off. Maybe that's just my animator brain nit picking but they did not look right. She looked a bit bug eyed in some of them.
That was just the crazy seeping out.
So much of this. :)

Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg