Dungeon PUGs that either made you go YAY or wtf?

Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Dungeon PUGs that either made you go YAY or wtf?

Unread post by Aleu »

I'm sure we've all had our share of awesome and horrible dungeon pug.

My most awesome one was getting into a HoR pug with dps that just tore up the meter. I kind of felt left out... They were doing 7k and I was only around 4.2k. :( We still blasted through the dungeon. The fact they were all RPers made it even better. \o/

My worst was recently... A Paladin who attempted to tank Heroic PoS with only 27k health... And he blamed the dps and healer for the wipes. He could barely take a few hits. x.x

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Striv
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring//Twisting Nether

Re: Dungeon PUGs that either made you go YAY or wtf?

Unread post by Striv »

Ohhh... hmm...

lesse here... my best YAY so far was when I was on my druid and I was healing H UP and we just pulled mob after mob without a problem. We even pulled two or three groups at a time and our dps was epic and the tank hardly lost any health. It was my fastest run through there and definitely in my top 5. :)

My worst experience was on my paladin healer. She's not very well geared but I can heal just fine. I have 1900+ heals unbuffed. Im pretty sure thats good enough. Anyways I was in H OK with a premade (me being the only pug is what I mean) and supposedly the tank was high or something and he couldn't hold aggro. His health dropped alot. Like in huge chunks. And I was blamed of course. So they kicked me from the group : \ I feel wronged. But whatever.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Aleu wrote:My most awesome one was getting into a HoR pug with dps that just tore up the meter. I kind of felt left out... They were doing 7k and I was only around 4.2k. :( We still blasted through the dungeon. The fact they were all RPers made it even better. \o/
Wow....7k dps AND they still found time to RP? Kudos to them! :o

Don't get me started on pugs, lol. xD There have been some amazingly wonderful groups and some godawful ones.

Highlight: PvP prot pally tank in CoS. He was tearing up the meters like crazy and had the attitude to go with it. I went ALL OUT and ended up passing him by a long shot. I think he was slightly impressed, considering how many advantages he had in there. It was crazy-fun; I was opening without MDs before he got to mobs. Ballsy. I never play like that. :) The only reason I could do it, though, was his insane threat generation. Was really awesome.

Featured Lowlight: Man...there are SO MANY bad pug stories.... My favorite is the one with the holy pally in HoR. The guy used ONE holy shock the entire instance and was otherwise mostly spamming holy light. I called him on it (I was on my rogue at the time) and he took GREAT OFFENSE at being told how to heal before leaving in a huff. I just swapped to my priest and we finished the run with no trouble. I think that one's stuck with me because it was the first time I called a pug on being lousy. Sadly, he was not the last, of course, but he was the first one to drive me to actually SAY something. (Usually I run with friends and we're okay with carrying people, for the most part, so we don't comment on terribleness unless there's a REAL need to.)

@Striv: I know EXACTLY what you mean. I went through something similar in PoS on my priest. The tank and one of the dps were guilded and I'm not sure how many of the others had been in the party before I got randomed in, but it was at least one, since I got kicked, even though they were the ones doing bad pulls and such. It's so frustrating to get kicked by the bads, cause they think they're in the right...but they're not.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Best run: Second random heroic I ever do, which is PoS. Battered Hilt drops, I'm one of the first on my server to get it. The rest of the group get mad at me, but we decide to do HoR too. Success! Another Hilt. One of my guildmates got it (We had decided to farm randoms for emblems.)

Worst run ever: CoS. The priesb says "hunter, hope u can bandage" I say, " ofc, why?" "I won't heal u" "why" "I hate u noobs! U suck!". So we have to wait fifteen minutes to votekick him, and then we get a paladin. But this guy was a ret pally, and the terms retardadin applies. Apparently, he thought he could heal with his ret gear, and got oom at trash, with the tanks panic buttons used up. So we wait fifteen minutes again to kick him, but during this time the tank leaves. And finding a tank in battlegroup misery takes over an hour! So there, that was a great waste of 45 minutes.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

My most WTF moment was when I was running Mara about 2 years ago. We had gotten the the mid point with all the slimes and had a bad pull with about 10+/- mobs. The tank and a dps ended up dead. The healer who as a pally said he could not rez. Yes that's right a pally that could not rez. When we asked why he said he abandoned the quest because it confused him. :shock: A person who was confused by a level 10 quest rolling a healer. :o

My most YAY moment was one of my own I hate to admit. It was back in BC days when Kara was part of progretion, and was doing a guild run of H SP. We got Quagmirran to about 50% when things went bad. The healer died then the tank and a dps. By this time it's down to me on my rogue and a frost mage with the boss at about 12% health. I ended up tanking him to victory, and was assigned as offtank for the Moros fight. Yes my guild master had a sick sence of humor.
We don't die. We multiply.
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Hmm...as a general rule, I have terrible luck getting into heroic groups. I will sometimes wait for hours with my LFG flag up, to no avail. More often though, we will be all set to start an instance and something comes up. Most of my stories are 'bad' ones as a result.

The first WTF moment was running Heroic Azjol-Nerub. Finally got a group together after over an hour of waiting on my rogue. When we get in the dungeon, among the first of the trash mobs a boe ring drops with great stats for rogues, so I need on it because...well, because I actually, y'know, needed it. The group starts yelling at me for being a ninja. (Note: Normally, I don't even GREED on green/blue drops; I pass on them unless I need something). Anyway, we keep going. A few more trash-pulls and several near-death experiences later, somebody yells at the tank. "What's your DEF?"
"504."
"504? Not 540?"
"No, 504."
*silence*
*nearly simultaneously, everybody but me leaves group and hearths*
I realize the guy was WAY under geared for tanking a heroic, but there wasn't even any talk about getting a new tank or anything. Everyone just...disappeared, leaving me standing there all alone in the middle of Azjol-Nerub :(

The other WTF moment was when I got a very mature group together to go run Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle, and we all jump through the instance portal and:
"Instance Not Found."
Lolwut? So we try again.
"Instance Not Found."
Rats. After 5 more minutes of trying we give up and disband. No loot for rogue :(

Best moment? I found a group to run the daily heroic (at the time) in an instance that I knew. We worked SO well together, picking up on each others' nuances and whatnot, that we decided to keep going through 4-5 more heroics--as a pug! The best part was that I didn't know some of the fights, but they were perfectly willing to explain them to me before we went. I have been kicked from groups before for not having done a fight/instance, despite learning fast, so this was quite a treat :)

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

I've had several groups where noone says anything, and nothing at all goes wrong. Just clear through. Those groups are nice.

I remember I was on my DK once, doing ToC normal I think. This was pre 3.3. Then the melee DPS trinket drops. So I need, and so does the rogue. The rogue had a fit when I won. I offered to run with him again and everything, but he just wigged out and left.

Ungoro
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shattered Halls PVP EU

Unread post by Ungoro »

A PUG group for me is the usual dungeon/heroic group for me. Rarely have i had enough friends or guildies online that want to do the same instance, and i can only recall two times this happening which were when i first got into Deadmines with my 3 hunter friends and when it was Hallows End just gone (although 1-3 of them were ex-guildies but they were still friendly to people who weren't mean to 'em). I would love to get into a guild and do some old raids/dungeons/heroics/new raids with guildies.

Greatest YAY was probably when i showed up my shammy friend in my first 80 raid and i got 2nd on the meters and he got 6th (Both dps, and 1st place was a well geared tank so if we had a lower geared tank would of been first!) and any other 80 raid i've done, as i've always been in the top 5 on meters and this was before patch 3.3 and i had barely any gear from raids.

The most memorable WTF was in my first successful heroic which was Utgarde Pinnicle and the last boss we got down to 20k hp first time and i assumed it was just a bit of bad luck. Second try we got down to 16k, and i believe that if luck was on our side the tank (Paladin) and the dps should of been able to take him down, but no! I noticed the Paladin didn't bubble! So i asked her why and she replied with this "I'm not a coward"...My mouth actually dropped and i facepalmed, i then explained to her that bubbling is only cowardly in PvP and this is PvE and that the AI won't think mean of her. After the chat we tried again and there ya have it, none of us died, she bubbed when she came close to death and i also had a great time...The fact that i helped someone to fulfil their role in a dungeon aswell is also a great moment, especially as tanking isn't my expertise.

Ungoro of Khadgar

<Disturbing The Peace>

http://dragcave.net/user/Ungoro

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

You know, I had a little series of yay moments shortly after the new lfg came out. I decided I wanted Perky on my hunter (who hadn't run many heroics in a while) and started queueing up. I was running without dps meters cause my comp can't handle recount and I hadn't found a replacement, and I started getting little comments after the runs... "nice dps!", "wow, great work for a heroic", so on. I didn't even know, I just followed my usual rotations and tried to make things dead fast. :D

My most wtf moment was actually a series of huntards! Last night, I ran BRD on my baby resto shammy, and I ran into three hunters that made me cry. Seriously, I weep for our class! First one was actually not too bad, but he didn't know he could control his pet abilities. I gently explained it to him and he thanked me profusely, so I'm hoping I might have pointed him in the right direction. Then in comes hunter number two with no pet. The whole time, she's autoshotting from the back. Needless to say, she was doing about 45dps while everyone else was around 200 (and yes, I know it's not about dps at that level but come on.. once you're past level 50, I'd hope you know more than autoshot!). She got vote-kicked when she killed us 3 times in a row, and another hunter joined us. This one was geared great for a hunter, all mail with agility etc., specced down the BM tree... no pet. Whut? At this point, I'm starting to show bald patches where my hair has been torn out! She ended up dropping group after getting lost, and wouldn't you know it... hunter number two got randomed into our group again! :roll: At this point, we didn't even bother helping her to find us, we four manned the last 3 bosses and got our bags.

Seriously, I now understand where the huntard label comes from. The worst part is, it's really not that hard! Back when I was level 50, before discovering thottbot/wowhead/wowwiki/whatever, I still understood that I needed mail gear with agility, a melee weapon with stats (unlike these, which I saw a hunter dual wielding... =_=), and you know, my pet. Which I leveled up the hard way, teaching skills as we went by taming random pets that had the skills we needed! Uphill! Both ways! *shakes fist*

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

No class would want to dualwield those, not even those silly, dumb, up close rogues! The internal cooldown makes it quite useless. Might be good for a tank to have one of 'em tough, it procs quit often.

EDIT: Totally forgot the second part of my post. :D

Anyhow, had another WTF moment. The tank was running around with a two-hander, "cuz it generates more aggro". The other Hunter didn't have a pet (at level 50), "cuz I got confused by the quest", finally, the rogue kept asking if he could get to tank the next boss. Great fun.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

When I started to play WoW back in 2006, I had no clue about the game whatsoever. I had no mentor and no friend who played and could explain all that I needed to know. I had to find it all out by myself.

When some people asked me if I'd join them for Razorfen Kraul (Is that the english name?), I had no clue that there were instances, tanks, healers or damage dealers. I didn't know about aggro or what a warrior (Regash, Tauren Warrior, my first toon ever) had to do. Obviously, the 4 other players were rather experienced and already playing alts.
Did they explain? Did they tell me? No, they didn't. They just called me names, told me how stupid I was and 3 of them instantly ignored me just one second before I was kicked from the group. Did this make me feel good about instances? No, it didn't. After several more tries of tanking after I've read about it online (and I didn't understand half of it), I just gave up. Wailing caverns was the only instance my Warrior ever played (pre WotLK, that is).
When TBC hit the shelves, I had to try something else and Karathyriel was "born". He was fun to play and I read about the basics. Karathyriel didn't from day one, ever set foot in one instance. Not one! (pre WotLK again).
When both toons hit level 70, I joined a guild. It was the first time I ever have been in a guild that were not an RP guild. So the dragged my warrior as Offtank through Karazhan a couple of times and the Maintank of that guild really started to educating me and exercising with my warrior. We played a game that went like this: I pulled a mob, he counted to 5 and then fired away and took aggro from me. I had to have the mob glued back to me within 3 seconds. Then we added another mob and another... I was really getting pretty good at this and I was planned for MT for the next Kara-run. Funny thing happened: The guilds leader and his first officer (being his girlfriend) split up in RL and in his wrath, he disbanded the guild. We all drifted apart with no one wanting to take responsibility of guild leader. End of tank story. When WotLK came out, I never even managed to get him crit-immune (def of 540).
I joined a guild with both toons and they asked me, why I never joined for guild runs of heroics and stuff. I told them that I was a noob, couldn't play in groups and what not. As my hunter had displaced my warrior as main, I went with them just to prove that I suck. Well, Kara is wearing 2 T9-pieces right now wich means, I'm not that bad, huh? But the warrior wasn't played anymore and still wears some level70 epics...
After getting into trouble with one of the officers, I thought I'd rather avoid more trouble and left the guild. Since then, I almost do not play my L80 toons anymore.
Why? Because I so loathe PUGs that I automatically say no to invites, even if I wanted to play.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Ugh.....

Okay, new low.

DW DK tank in mostly low level dps gear with about 21k hp with pug buff and MotW (I was on my druid) - obviously not def capped - and no frost presence

PLUS

An undergeared ret pally who was farming for BoA gear for an alt

PLUSSSSSSS

A hunter in a bunch of level 70 pvp gear with some ilevel 200 TANKING pieces

Thank P. Dawg the last dps was an alt rogue in welfare t9 who actually knew how to play. We did try to pitch a few helpful suggestions in there, but seriously, these guys didn't want to listen to very basic advice, so things got a bit hostile. >_< Even more thankfully, it was just VH. Normally, I'd've gone boomkin, but I saw the hunter's helm and the tank's hp and opted for tree. Even then, it was hard to bomb enough heals to keep the dk up. The second boss was the arcane guy and he tried to tank him where he stood. Obviously, there was NO FREAKING WAY I could keep him up through that.

Okay, enough ranting. Siiigh.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Sonata
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill, Bloodhoof.

Unread post by Sonata »

Worse?

Sadly my worst encouter is with a hunter. The bad thing is that he is not a huntard, so it's not that. He acts like his name states, he is called Angry hunter. (Ironic)
My first meeting with him was at SM library, I hated his guts from that day forward. The worst would be that I was doing the daily that was HC Utgarde Pinnacle that day. (hope I'm not mixing Keep and Pinnacle bosses now)
We were at the first boss, our mage wanted us to try the achievement with the abomination, I still don't have it. The dudes wanted me to try it to be a fast achievement.

But in the end we didn't get it, our rogue by accident hitted the abomination a little too hard, causing it to die. Angry hunter threw a horrible fit. Blaming everyone, complaining that our dps was low. (He was in Naxx 25 gear, this is before Ulduar)
He left the party and left us there standing, well he was replaced easily, but it left a bad taste in everyones mouth.

The best pug, was another daily group. This time Utgarde Keep. (wait it gets better)
We had a tank who was a bit knew to the ropes of the HC's, so he asked us if we could keep it at a slow pace. It was a wonderful slow paced run, this group quickly turned into a HC grinding group!

We were joking together, actualy I made friends with the DK we had there...he asked me to join his friends guild, that was only for mostly family members, he wondered why I wasn't in Naxx, I did the usual "no achievement, no go!"-speech, that is the rule on our server so. I have never had a pug that clicked with me so much and had so much fun, mind you I have done heroics over 200 times.

"I'm in SPAAAAACE"