how much is to much?

kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: EU-Arathor

how much is to much?

Unread post by kairii »

How much is to much to threat for a hunter :s Ive noticed that me and tank....Dont get along anymore for some reason i can over arggo them in 2 seconds even with [Misdirection] and [Feign Death] .... I have to waste my [Readiness] to just to stop it >.<
I use this pritty kitty right now but I dont see how that effects my arggo in a raid :s

OK! dodge does get reduced alot in ICC and warr's need dodge for their threat or something weird that i cant really remeber xD

But I still dont get how i gain so much arggo tank is at 600k then Im at 700k :s even with pala's I have it too

Anyone got any ideas what my threat issue might be can people still over gear there tanks that they get this effects?

A huge thanks to kamoodle5 for the amazing signature

Saturo

Re: how much is to much?

Unread post by Saturo »

Personally, I go all it in the beginning, Feign when Omen warns me, stay at about 80%, and when the CD for FD goes off i'd go all out again. It's a bit of juggling required.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

It sounds like you pretty much have the same technique as I - exactly as Saturo described it. I open with MD to the tank, go all out, FD, rinse & repeat. I use MD every cooldown (unless the fight mechanics require me to keep it off cooldown for adds or whatever) and FD whenever I inch up too far.

It's definitely possible that you'll pull more threat if you outgear the tank, since your upgrades are straight dps (and thus tps) whereas the tank has to upgrade on mitigation as well.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by kairii »

I spam my CD's as much as I can but theres a limit on them D: I love going all out cas the fights go on for awhile so like thats really nice to use some CD's at start but OMG does it hurt!

I really dont know what to do anymore ... I feel like quitting and waiting on tanks to catch up : / even though most our drops are tank drops >.<

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Well, you'll just have to accept the fact that there's always a limit to how much DPS you can put out. If it means staying on autoshot every now and then, that's what you'll have do. When I play my Mage I can almost never go full out, I'd grab aggro immediately, and I'd have to drink after every fight, even with mana-regen talents.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

The technique I use is MD, SSting, AS, SShot, auto shoot til CDs are off. By this point I should be able to use BW, and rapid fire then go into my "hard core" rotaion with blowing all Cds including trinkets and such without pulling agro.
We don't die. We multiply.
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

It is important to get a feel for your tanks and their aggro, and to watch their aggro on Omen. Each tank will be different in their threat generation so you need to gauge when you can open up with the DPS. Warrior tanks take a few seconds to build aggro, while Paladin tanks do not, for example, so with a Warrior wait a bit and let him grab the threat, and with Paladins you can pretty much MD and let loose as soon as they drop Consecrate.

As a general benchmark I wait for my tank to get about 20k in threat before letting loose.

So, basically, just wait a bit before DPSing. This way your tank (and raid) will appreciate the lock the tank has on the target and you will not need to compromise your DPS later by only using AutoShot to diminish threat.
kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by kairii »

But even when they hit 20k ill do my rotation ONCE BOOM arggo >< and them im 100k above the tanks
And its not just at start its during fights to idk how the tanks can loose arggo during a fight when all his gotta do is hit the boss :s

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

A tank has rather significantly more to do during an encounter than "just hit the boss." Speaking as someone who tanks ICC on a paladin and DPSes on a hunter, there's definitely more to it than that. Marrowgar? He has a threat wipe every time he Bone Storms - you should be Misdirecting to your tanks to help them pick him back up. They also have to worry about repositioning him once the Storm stops so that his cleave doesn't hit and kill the healers and melee. Lady Deathwhisper has something similar: a stacking debuff that reduces the tank's ability to generate threat, so two tanks have to taunt off each other at about 3 stacks. And that's just the first two bosses.

Yes, as DPS, a hunter's job is to do as much damage as possible. That's "as possible." That does mean "without standing in fire or pulling the target off the tank." You may need to talk to your tanks outside of raid time and try and figure out what's going on. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you, since not having the boss change its target makes their jobs, as well as the healers', easier. It may be your tanks need more gear, or it may be that you're simply going to have to throttle back some in certain situations. All that matters at the end of the day is that the boss dies, really. If the way you help achieve that is by holding back a tad so that the boss stays on the tanks, then you're doing your part to help the raid get those tasty purples, aren't you?

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Another thing that might help, if possible: If you have a warrior tank, he might put vigilance on you, if you're the person who mainly experiences this problem. Other'n that, I agree with Tahlian that a chat with the tanks might help. If there's anything you can do to help them when they bounce the boss, it'll benefit the whole raid.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I'm not really seeing this problem. I almost never use MD and very rarely get an alert from Omen that I'm going over 100% threat. If it happens, I just FD and that's it. I don't wait to start letting go either. I hit a serpent sting, then rapid fire and we're off to the races with no problems. The only time I use MD regularly is on a trash pull when I'm going to use Volley to make sure one mob doesn't break loose and gank me. I might also use it on Marrowgar right after he stops with the whirlwind, but that's about it.
Azzrazzah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary is the Shizznit,

Unread post by Azzrazzah »

Something else you might try is not to send your pet in as soon as tank grabs mob/boss.. like said above alow the tank a couple, then just go for it.. rinse and repeat

I Came...I Saw...I Tamed

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

You try and hold off on any dmg at all for a few seconds. This will allow the tank to build up threat. Then you can use your misdirect and then slowly crank up the dps.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

AdamSavage wrote:You try and hold off on any dmg at all for a few seconds. This will allow the tank to build up threat. Then you can use your misdirect and then slowly crank up the dps.
If you have to do that in every fight then I would say that the problem lies with your tanks, not with you. I can go full out as soon as the tank engages and never have any aggro problems. I send in the pet first, hit serpent sting, then rapid fire and start my normal rotation. Once in a while I might get the ahoogah sound from Omen if I go over 110% threat later on in the fight but a quick FD fixes that. In a BM spec, you should never have to worry about aggro since your threat is more split between you and the pet. Just make sure growl is off so something doesn't turn and gank him.
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Turning the growl off to free's up more focus for the pet so it's using less of it and can use it for pure dps.