The WOW Movie.

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Re: The WOW Movie.

Unread post by Dulanie »

I personally would have loved if the Movie was about the evolution of the Nightelves from trolls, on into nagaBlood Elves, and satyr.... :headbang: ...wait isn't that basicly a world history of azeroth? :lol:
We don't die. We multiply.
Tygamoon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bronzebeard

Unread post by Tygamoon »

Welll back to the movie topic...

I am actually in favor of Sam Raimi as director. Ive always liked most of his work, especially the early low budget stuff. I am also a very big fan of Bruce Campbell and would love to see some sort of cameo of him. Of course any minor roll for him would be awesome. So if the movie dose end up being utter crap for the WoW fans at least it could draw in the cult fans that Bruce has.

Another thing I think might happen once this movie goes live is Blizz taking it upon themselves to make CG installments. Once the big movie draws interest from the general public (those guys that feel games incite violent tenancies in their youth come to mind) and gets things more into the open. Sort of like their books they have on the side. I could see this side movie business being a new phase for Blizz.

And we have to remember, this movie is most likely inspired by the game, not a recreation!
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Saturo wrote:Think of it positively tough, if the younger players and the new players go alliance, the horde will be a more mature environment.
Unless everyone wants to be "eebil", as with just about everything: with Harry Potter everyone wanted to belong to the house of Slytherin. Villains overall tend to gather a lot more fangirls/boys than the so-called good guys. Being evil is considered cool.

*ish late, but just had to say it*
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I also am in favor of Sam Raimi as the director and I want to see Bruce Campbell have a role. Maybe as a Warrior trainer. I can see him saying something like, "In my day son, a real Warrior could take on 3 or 4 Orcs and beat them all with his bare hands. You young whelps are all just like little girls".
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I liked spider man when I was kid, watched all the cartoons and I hated the movies. So I have little hope for this one. What I am looking forward to is merchandising! Hopefully some wow plushies or something. And in the comic Varian had a twin kinda, but it was another version of himself as he had been split in two by Onyxia and naga magics. That kind of plot would be cool since I love king varian(i kno its wrong, I can't help it lol) But it would paint the horde in a horrible light, I'm really hoping they can even it out and not make horde evil.
Tygamoon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bronzebeard

Unread post by Tygamoon »

Please stop disagreeing over the horde=bad and alliance=good thing. Go create another thread for that stuff. I'll agree with what Ananis said about your views Danielfboone, it is all your own opinion. It is a game after all, nothing here is fact! We all are playing the game the way we like and seeing it the way we want. That is a good thing, you are all using your money in a frugal way and getting good times out of it (hopefully haha).

Yes Bulletdance, the Spider Man movies were kinda bla.

I like to think about someone never playing the game but only reading the books. Now if they all the sudden start the game up they may feel that it isn't true to the story and lore. Now imagine a person only playing the online mmo of wow and who hardly touched the books or older games. If they decided to try the other content they may feel the same way. I'm sure this movie will be good. Just as I'm sure there will be people that hate it lol
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I've split the debating topics and merged them into their own thread.
Rethei
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bloodscalp

Unread post by Rethei »

As worried as i am about this movie.. im going to watch it with a grain of salt and not be too quick to judge. It is too early to speculate and dissect the film imo.
Props to Karathyriel
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

There is no way this movie could ever be told from a Horde viewpoint. Blizzard is taking the same road with it that they have taken with the game. They are tailoring it to the widest possible audience. They could not make a movie with the main characters going around fighting and killing Humans, that just isn't done. The hero of the story has to be one that the greatest number of people can identify with, and that undeniably would be a Human. They are not making the movie strictly for the WoW community but are aiming for acceptance by a general audience. I like everything I've heard so far about the direction it's taking and who they have gotten on board to make it. I have nothing but optimism that this is going to be by far the best movie based on a video game franchise that has ever been made.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Dulanie wrote:I personally would have loved if the Movie was about the evolution of the Nightelves from trolls, on into nagaBlood Elves, and satyr.... :headbang: ...wait isn't that basicly a world history of azeroth? :lol:
No it is not and is not the accepted origins of the races. The Trolls and Elves are seperate and always have been.
Sonata
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill, Bloodhoof.

Unread post by Sonata »

Daniel you doing double postings, please edit your orginal post if need to add something.
Vephriel wrote:I've split the debating topics and merged them into their own thread.
Veph I love you, in a internet kinda way. Creating a debate thread made me so happy that I don't need to see it everywhere!
*hugs you to death*

Back to topic
I think I'd mostly like to see, well even if it's not going to happen...Dalaran, the city of mages fully animated in a CG in the sky!
Actualy seeing all of the cities in a real would be awesome.
And a random stuff in Orgimar would be jumping from the top to the lower standing of the bank because everybody in the game does it, a nice little thing to add to the players and other things.

The dragon aspects also would be a grand thing. God I'd want to see so many things on the big screen!

offtopic: OH YEAH new title!

"I'm in SPAAAAACE"

fatman
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul (both sides)

Unread post by fatman »

One way to paint the Horde side in a favorable light is to have the main characters in the movie get rescued from an overwhelming enemy by a party of Horde adventurers, which includes a Tauren warrior swinging a totem pole as a 2 handed mace. And then watch incredulously as the Orcish party-leader do MC Hammer's dance as a kind of victory dance.
Last edited by fatman on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

fatman wrote:Orcish party-leader do MC Hammer's dance as a kind of victory dance.
He could just do the MC Hammer slide as his only mode of transportation too. That could translate into epic.

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

You know after seeing all the Starcraft 2 cutscenes etc, it boggles my mind that they would even consider doing this film live action. And its certainly not like they couldn't afford to develop it independently of hollywood.

not to mention all the locations, characters/race types, would look a hell of a lot better.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Kayb wrote:You know after seeing all the Starcraft 2 cutscenes etc, it boggles my mind that they would even consider doing this film live action. And its certainly not like they couldn't afford to develop it independently of hollywood.

not to mention all the locations, characters/race types, would look a hell of a lot better.
I haven't seen the SC2 cutscenes (not a SC fan) but I agree, I have wondered from day one on this why they're opting for live action over animated. I don't even like animated movies (or TV etc) but Warcraft as live action just seems wrong given that the design is so stylised. If they try to keep that Warcraft look in a live action movie it will look comical, and if they go for a more "realistic" approach it will just look like a generic fantasy movie and not Warcraft.

It should absolutely be animated in the style of the WoW (and I guess SC) trailers since they look fantastic and maintain the look of Warcraft without looking like a filming of the game.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Danielfboone wrote:I also am in favor of Sam Raimi as the director and I want to see Bruce Campbell have a role. Maybe as a Warrior trainer. I can see him saying something like, "In my day son, a real Warrior could take on 3 or 4 Orcs and beat them all with his bare hands. You young whelps are all just like little girls".
I totally heard that in Bruce's voice too...it's almost as bad as tho Futurama ones! I love that guy...besides Evil Dead and Army of Darkness, my other fav role of his was Magnonimus in MegasXLR. That role was a parody of several of his other roles...the guy was a wrestling ring announcer (Spiderman), and piloted a giant robot that looked like Elvis (Bubba Ho-Tep) that dual-wielded a shotgun and a chainsaw (Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness). Was awesome :D

Anyways, back on to the movie. I too would personally like to see something that showed both sides...or maybe a triology (it's been the trend lately) with the first movie focusing on Ally, the second focusing on Horde, then the third is them maybe having to work together on fighting the Scourge or Burning Legion or something.

And as others have been saying, I don't see why Blizz couldn't make one themselves (of course, probably after they're done releasing 3 games almost back to back so they're kinda busy right now) and it would look tight. Besides, I would like to see some Draenei and Tauren. I'm an ally char mostly, with 1 or 2 horde chars (Tauren Hunter I've been obsessed about lately on playing, heh), but I never had a problem with either faction...tho I admit, I played horde first, and kinda got driven to ally cause of all the dumbasses that wouldn't leave me alone ("Duel me newb!" "Yer more than twice my lvl...and I don't even have a pet yet..." "Duel me! NEWB!" *spams duel flag* *puts dumbass on ignore, gets entertainment out of watching the duel flag go up and down at ludacris speed*) Anyways, yeah...it would be cool if maybe they could do one for both sides...
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

I agree with everyone who has said that Blizzard should have just got their own CGI cutscene department to make a movie -- to hell with Hollywood and their expectations! I mean, if it's live action, non-gamers are going to be comparing it to Lord of the Rings, like it or not, and frankly, I doubt any fantasy film will top the quality of LOTR for a very long time.

What I would have liked to have seen would be a CGI movie of Lord of the Clans (maybe with a title change to avoid LOTR confusion). I'm sick of this recent obsession with "anti-Thralls". Why not base it around the inspiration himself? Thrall is a great character, likable, powerful, but not without flaws. I would love to see a movie based on his life, with perhaps going further than the Lord of the Clans novel, showing the modern Horde races as well as the Orcs. Besides, a story about a "good Orc" would be almost unheard of from a public that views Orcs as pretty much the fantasy genre's equivelent of zombies (something that you can kill without feeling guilty about it). Oh, and there's good zombies (Forsaken) too in this game, btw ;)

Another poster mentioned FF7: Advent Children, which proved SquareEnix's ability to make a great Final Fantasy movie even after the financial disaster that was FF: The Spirits Within. (A completely underrrated movie, telling the ending of a FF game, IMO, but that's another topic. Why couldn't Blizzard, who has a much larger player base and potential movie audience than even SquareEnix, do the same?

The point is, Blizzard already has a great team of artists, animators, directors and writers. Why outsource when they don't have to?

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Bruce Campbell AS THE LICH KING F*CK YEAHZ! or thrall or i dunno any male lead.

Not likeing how they are just going to do ally side, i don't like hearing people go "lol ally good horde evil" :S
Sonata
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill, Bloodhoof.

Unread post by Sonata »

Cerah wrote: I'm sick of this recent obsession with "anti-Thralls". Why not base it around the inspiration himself? Thrall is a great character, likable, powerful, but not without flaws.
The only so called "anti-Thrall" is Varian atleast if I recall and he is one of the most hated characters ingame besides Garrosh. I don't see him as that bad...but I am the kind of person who hates nobody.

But I do agree Thrall is a wonderful character and the book based on him was a wonderful! But books turned movies are not that good sometimes, no offence meant but the Harry Potter books are better than the movies.

I still don't want a mysterious "I am the brother of King Varian and also related to Medivh"-character as a main character be it human or not. I don't mind if the main is a human or a elf or a orc. I just hope every race get's a piece of the screen...with no metalic bikini paladin armor please.

I will go see the movie, be it better or the worst in the history. I just hope the setting is neutral...and I hope Ally-and Hordefans can keep their traps shut about favoring...I mean it is already said that Thrall will be in the movie. And because it seems like sequels are popular these days then Hollywood will probably make a second Warcraft movie because the fanbase is large...no seriosly.

"I'm in SPAAAAACE"

Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

Sonata wrote:The only so called "anti-Thrall" is Varian atleast if I recall and he is one of the most hated characters ingame besides Garrosh. I don't see him as that bad...but I am the kind of person who hates nobody.
Even as a die-hard Hordie, I actually kind of like Varian after reading the comics -- he's not that bad a guy, and he genuinely loves his son. I did a quest for him on my Night Elf priest as well - I forget what exactly, but I got a ring out of it, and his NPC actually sounded grateful for my toon's service to the Alliance.

Garrosh, on the other hand, I make a point of /spit -ing on whenever my Hordies are anywhere around him. He's the personification of why so many members of the Alliance hate Orcs, and he has serious daddy issues to boot.

Cata Spoilers

Making him Warchief is the worst thing Blizzard has ever done, IMO. I'll be happily pointing the way to Ally raids in Orgrimmar who go to kill his idiotic ass.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!