Heroic Pet Tanking

Gacheru
Realm: Maelstrom

Heroic Pet Tanking

Unread post by Gacheru »

Has anyone done this? I'm not looking for the extreme instance soloing. I'm more interested in being able to tank heroics. Figure it might be a cool thing to be able to do if an uppity tank leaves us high and dry. :)

Gacheru
Saturo

Re: Heroic Pet Tanking

Unread post by Saturo »

I'd suggest getting Item level 219+ before trying this, but yes, it works. Just make sure your healer is in on it and that you have a Tenacity pet specced for survivability.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I've only done this in emergency situations. It can work well if you're using a tenacity pet and have his talents spent right, but the problem is a pet's health pool isn't even close to what a player's can be, and it can be tough to utilize them in tricky places where there's multiple groups or something. Sometimes the healer wont' keep your pet alive either.

I'm sure it's doable though, I've heard epic stories of hunter pets tanking bosses and such.
Gacheru
Realm: Maelstrom

Unread post by Gacheru »

There's a bunch of guides on it here: http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/guides/ so I know it's possible, but I was curious about personal experiences. Some of my guildies are on board for helping me try it out.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Haven't tried it myself yet, but hopefully the Petopians guild can attempt this in the future. ;)

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

I have done this but it's usually after a tank is kickd/leaves. I don't like to do it, but it is possible to do. The trash pulls aren't so bad if you're careful, but I wouldn't try it for bosses unless your gear is all level 245+
We don't die. We multiply.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Ryno wrote:Haven't tried it myself yet, but hopefully the Petopians guild can attempt this in the future. ;)
I got da chain healz, mon!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

I had my gorilla tank heroic Violet hold once. I'm pretty sure now with my gear I got now if I switched over to BM he would be able to hold agrro pretty well.
Lionfury
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Lionfury »

I havnt done heroic yet. I was planned to do sethekk hall and MGT soon. But I did MC and solo'd the baron Gerr (spell?) The fire boss Its easy if you just have 3 piece of tier 1 and two piece of t5 And its easy mode you can just let pet solo him until killshot able to :D

Edit: oh also, dont get in near range or you'd get debuff which is suck so hence that why letting pet solo :D
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

I'm working on Magister's Terrace myself...though I just cleared it on normal, not heroic. I don't feel quite froggy enough for heroic setting yet. Archie, my bear, did just fine. In point of fact, there were many times my health was more in danger than his was. :lol: I need more practice soloing pulls in there, I think. I did make some small adjustments to my non-raiding spec to help Archie with survivability...and so that I'd know I was in the wrong spec for raid if I saw myself with Spirit Bond up. :oops:

Of course, I'm doing it because I'm a pet collector, and I want the baby phoenix something awful. Didn't get it on our maiden voyage in there, but now that I know Archie and I can handle the place...I have something to do instead of mine saronite when I'm bored and everyone else is busy. :mrgreen:

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Aye, I got my White Hawkstrider in there by soloing it.

All ya need is good gear, and a nicely specced pet.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Lionfury
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Mind help me out with spec for tank then? I'm unsure to spec for my gorilla so i can tank solo there :x
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Basically, survivability all the way.

It was so long ago, I can't really remember how I specced, it was when Naxx was "cool". I'd recommend better gear then T7.5, it was really hard at times.

Lionfury
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Oh, I was planned to use two piece of t5 that heal pet by of my dmg, with everything gear i have.

and i want link my talent but just realize my pet dont even show talent yet in armoy O.o must be bug or didnt update yet ~_~
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... gn=Chimera
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Lionfury wrote:Mind help me out with spec for tank then? I'm unsure to spec for my gorilla so i can tank solo there :x
Try this spec. You wanna focus on keeping the pet alive and it's threat.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Aye, Tough I'd recommend a Warp Stalker instead of a gorilla. Warp keeps damage away from it, and saves you the TP from Charge, allowing you to get something like Last Stand instead.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Saturo wrote:Aye, Tough I'd recommend a Warp Stalker instead of a gorilla. Warp keeps damage away from it, and saves you the TP from Charge, allowing you to get something like Last Stand instead.
This is a very good point.

I was just going to mention that Last Stand is a fantastic talent for a pet tank and that as a general rule, I like my BE's turtle for tanking simply because shell shield is amazing for mitigation.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lionfury
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Hmm, I kinda like my rare gorilla blue haha.

Also why there no spec for [Wild Hunt] I think thats worth to get for tanking.

Also is it better if i juts put pvp gear full and that'd give more hp for my gorilla and able to deal tanking with boss with me just healing/autoshot? Any thoughts?
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

I actually tanked H UP with my warpstalker once just for fun.

I wear two pieces of pvp gear to get my pet crit immune to heroic bosses (I can't remember the exact number you need, but it's pretty low like 133 resilience) and the two brewfest sta trinkets. I'll wear 2-piece t5 if I'm soloing old instances, but not if I have a healer with me. Of course your normal gear must be good.

It wasn't too bad. Just your dps got to know not to aoe so much, as your pet can't hold multiple mobs as good as a real tank. Your pet is also more squishy than a real tank, but the extra healing from blood of the rhino talent makes up for that.

Spec for my warpstalker: http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc#cV0G0rMzboor

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Lionfury
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Wassa can you try solo H Mgt? I just tried with gorllia last night and i fail at 3rd boss, but 1st and 2nd is no promblen.

However for ZG. I solo'd tiger boss just perfectly fine.