How do *you* kite?

Suicune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst/Staghelm

How do *you* kite?

Unread post by Suicune »

Just pondering how different Hunters use their abilities to kite. This goes for anything- the Blood Beasts on Saurfang, to an elite that you need to wear down while staying out of melee range. Do you strafe? Jump and turn? Which shots do you use? Make sure you post which tree you are specced for each example- I want to see if you would use different shots for different trees. Thanks! :D
~Queen of the Spirit Beasts~

Follow me on Twitter @GoddessSuicune

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... e/advanced <-Main.

http://goddess-suicune.deviantart.com/ <-Rarely updated, too busy playing WoW. :lol:

The Dark Swarm is always looking for new faces! Stop by our Guild website: http://www.thedarkswarm.gamerlaunch.com (Azuremyst/Staghelm)
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: How do *you* kite?

Unread post by Vephriel »

In terms of kiting to stay out of melee range, I've become very good at the jump-turn-shots. This is usually employed the most when I start a new hunter and I have to get through the first 10 levels without a pet. If I have it I'll use a Concussive shot to lengthen the time, but if not I even do the whole: Run, jump, turn, sit still to fire off a shot, keep running, repeat...
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I'll strafe, pulling the mob around in my frost trap aoe, using Concussive if they get too close. I they get really close, I'll wing clip, and maybe disengage. It depends. On my Mage it's frostbolt spam. Yup, I don't really kite on her...

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I run and hope for the best. :D Kiting a chimera, by the way, didn't bode well. >.<
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I tend to be a terrible kiter on the whole, but disengage and strafing are involved, plus frost traps and concussive when I can.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Skyshot
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank US

Unread post by Skyshot »

I've learned how to kite rather well in my years of playing hunter. I prefer to use the good ol' "jump and turn". I use conc shot (if the mob isn't immune) + serpent (or black arrow) along side my traps. Was able to solo the 3 DK elite group quests and Bloodbane in icecorwn with serpent sting and aspect of cheetah. Bloodbane was a lot of fun to kite around the giant hole in the center. xD

<My whelps - My Dragons>
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept."
-Calvin and Hobbes

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

kiting in general is pretty simple id just follow what everyone else is saying
Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow US

Unread post by Jakkra »

I'm not the best at kiting.. the most I've done recently is for the blood beasts in ICC-
Lay down a frost trap, disengage, distracting shot, concussive shot (once they're almost out of the trap) and then burrrrnnn them down lol. I strafe if need be.

I actually play on my laptop exclusively, and I use the touch pad, not a mouse. Weird, I know, but it's how I've played since day one, and I just can't get used to using a mouse, so, jump turns are kind of out of the question for me. I generally suck at kiting >_<
Suicune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Suicune »

Zangor wrote:kiting in general is pretty simple id just follow what everyone else is saying

Lol... I know how to kite, I just wanted as many people as possible to post the way in which they do it (since there are quite a few tools- and shots- at our disposal) to see which is the most popular. Kiting in general isn't anyone's favorite past-time it seems :lol:
I personally use the jump and turn method. Only started using it back in BC when I PvP'd and Arena'd all of the time. After Lich King came out I redid my UI, unbound most things and didn't need to kite until recently (my guild grew enough where we began raiding, so I don't PvP as much as I once did- plus there's so much more to do! lol). In PvP it didn't much matter what shots you used while kiting, as long as you keep them dazed enough to get away (plus, I didn't know my class as well as I do now.. :oops: ). In PvE, shots matter more, since some mobs resist Concussive shot. I'm trying out rotating Explosive shot (Arcane in my BM spec) and Concussive to damage while kiting. A Frost trap dropped in between Concussive shots should work nicely against mobs who it affects.
I'm trying out the strafe-kite method as well. I feel more comfortable jump turning, but most say strafing is easier, so I'm going to try it some more.

Thanks for all the replies- it's cool to see how everyone deals with this.

http://goddess-suicune.deviantart.com/ <-Rarely updated, too busy playing WoW. :lol:

The Dark Swarm is always looking for new faces! Stop by our Guild website: http://www.thedarkswarm.gamerlaunch.com (Azuremyst/Staghelm)
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

My way of kiting depends on my level and what I feel like doing at the time. :P At low levels I like to strafe, which makes it possible to stop whenever an autoshot is about to fire. Saves a lot of mana and makes things faster.

When doing jumpshots, I usually use Concussive and Arcane whenever they're up and keep Serpent sting up - usually I fire Serpent stings more than usual just to make sure that the mob doesn't reset. If I get very far from my target, I'll use Multi-Shot too. The aspect is always (dragon)hawk, unless the target runs particularly fast and/or can't be slowed down.

I have a terrible sense of direction, so it isn't rare that I run into more mobs... *blush* I also have a tendency to forget about my traps if the kiting wasn't planned. <.<
Kalliope

Suicune wrote: Kiting in general isn't anyone's favorite past-time it seems :lol:
I actually have a thing for lowbie kiting. For some reason, when all I have is autoshot and strafing, I kite BETTER than when I have a bunch of different shots available to me.

Dunno if that helps any, but it's my personal perception. ^_^

YouTube Edition

Nimizar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore - US

Unread post by Nimizar »

Jump kiting for me - my steering is lousy whenever I try to strafe kite, but I can jump, turn, fire, turn back and land all day.

Shot priority goes: Concussive (if mob is not immune), Explosive/Arcane (SV/other), Black Arrow (if SV), Serpent Sting
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I'm a terrible kiter. I have tried many times to master the jump shot and I just can't do it. If I have to kite, I drop a frost trap and just keep running the mob back and forth thru it while getting off as many shots as I can to keep aggro. My keyboard skills are so bad that I never use the movement keys except for the idle time spent running between areas and even then I always steer with the mouse. To move during fights, I use both mouse buttons at once to run and steer. I even have a hard time finding the right button to strafe and will often mess it up. Kiting is not my thing and I avoid it as much as I can.
Suicune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Suicune »

Danielfboone wrote:I'm a terrible kiter. I have tried many times to master the jump shot and I just can't do it. If I have to kite, I drop a frost trap and just keep running the mob back and forth thru it while getting off as many shots as I can to keep aggro. My keyboard skills are so bad that I never use the movement keys except for the idle time spent running between areas and even then I always steer with the mouse. To move during fights, I use both mouse buttons at once to run and steer. I even have a hard time finding the right button to strafe and will often mess it up. Kiting is not my thing and I avoid it as much as I can.

I have the WoW mouse, and bound the strafe to the thumb buttons- works wickedly well- I suggest anyone who has a mouse with the thumb buttons to try it out. I also use my mouse to move, it was the way I learned to play, I do have 'w' and 's' bound still for movement though (and autorun to the wheel click :lol: ) , for lazy moving forward and back while doing my hybrid click thing lol... I'm on a laptop and I guess I play weirdly to make things actually work out well.

As for anyone who says they are a terrible kiter... as long as you aren't getting hit you're doing it right! ;)

Kalliope

Suicune wrote:As for anyone who says they are a terrible kiter... as long as you aren't getting hit you're doing it right! ;)
Exactly. :P

YouTube Edition

Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Suicune wrote:I'm on a laptop and I guess I play weirdly to make things actually work out well.
Welcome to the club. XD I'm on an Acer Aspire One netbook, so it's no wonder my framerate goes below 5 in busy places. I use an external mouse (small and light is how I like them <3) and move with W and S - A and D were bound for other uses long ago.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Suicune wrote: I have the WoW mouse, and bound the strafe to the thumb buttons- works wickedly well- I suggest anyone who has a mouse with the thumb buttons to try it out. I also use my mouse to move, it was the way I learned to play, I do have 'w' and 's' bound still for movement though (and autorun to the wheel click :lol: ) , for lazy moving forward and back while doing my hybrid click thing lol... I'm on a laptop and I guess I play weirdly to make things actually work out well.

As for anyone who says they are a terrible kiter... as long as you aren't getting hit you're doing it right! ;)
I also play on a laptop. an HP 5215 model with a single core Turion 64 processor and the Radeon 200 Xpress graphics. I need a better mouse though. The HP 5 button one I use will not let me bind anything to it. Even the scroll does not work for the camera zoom. If I don't use the HP drivers for it, the scroll wheel works but I still can't bind anything to the buttons and the buttons are on the top behind the wheel anyway so it wouldn't be very convenient.