Question about WoW model viewer?

This is the place to request an avatar, get opinions on your signatures ... anything involving forum art!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Bloodsail Buccaneers Classic

Re: Question about WoW model viewer?

Unread post by Serenith »

Silly how Sambas isn't with Lion, he is under "Alliancelionmount". *growls* He was the first thing I had to find in WMV when I started using it and I had to google it. Lol

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!

Nili
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Khadgar EU

Unread post by Nili »

dear god, this wmv is so crazy x.x

Where do you find red lynx's ?
I'm nearly done with Ael's second one, I just need this silly kitty

edit found it.
Ugh I wish I could manually organize my list lol

Thanks to Zhuge for the pretty siggy and avatarz
Nili's cavez Wishlist: Nilia Pgymy.CB Thunder. CB Daydream.
realm: 179 (hunter: 10)

Feralclaw
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm US

Unread post by Feralclaw »

WMV is confusing. Thought Frostsaber was spelled Frostsaber in WMV, but no. It had to be Frostsabre. The tigers took a while to find too. So did the Direwolfs.
Credit to Razzy for the avatar. Thanks!
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

This is sort-of related since I tinker with WMV now and again, but how do you all get backgrounds for signatures? Are you just taking in-game screen shots?

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Rhyela wrote:This is sort-of related since I tinker with WMV now and again, but how do you all get backgrounds for signatures? Are you just taking in-game screen shots?
I take in-game screenshots, and very rarely use Blizzard's concept art/some random image I find online. But very rarely do I do that cause the screenshots work well for me.

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Anyone else run into issues where certain models, when trying to open them in an editing program, have a chunk of stuff missing from them? I have been trying to save a lynx cat model to open up in GIMP, but it always has a big piece of its skin missing. The only file extension it doesn't do that with is .jpg, but then .jpg has this dark blue background, whereas the other layers don't have a background at all (or have a checkered one), and I have no idea how to get rid of that dark blue background with .jpg layers. *pulls hair out*

I'm a pretty big amateur when it comes to this stuff. I wish I had Photoshop, but I'm kinda poor atm.

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Feralclaw
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Rhyela wrote:Anyone else run into issues where certain models, when trying to open them in an editing program, have a chunk of stuff missing from them? I have been trying to save a lynx cat model to open up in GIMP, but it always has a big piece of its skin missing. The only file extension it doesn't do that with is .jpg, but then .jpg has this dark blue background, whereas the other layers don't have a background at all (or have a checkered one), and I have no idea how to get rid of that dark blue background with .jpg layers. *pulls hair out*

I'm a pretty big amateur when it comes to this stuff. I wish I had Photoshop, but I'm kinda poor atm.
Once, when doing Qinni's sig, I used the chimera and half his body was missing. :shock: That time I did nothing about it, but now when this happens to me I use the color dropper on nearby colors and carefully paint over it. Hope this helps!

Also, the checkered backgrounds are transparent backgrounds, which means you won't see the dark blue background, say, when you post a picture from WMV with a checkered background.
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Yeah that happens. I have to save it as a .jpg and just remove the background. I don't know how gimp works, but I just use a selection tool like the magic wand and remove the model from the background that way. And if your having difficulty removing the model cause the colors are similar to the BG, try changing the WMV background color to solid bright green or white, it makes it much easier to target the unwanted background. The .png only works sometimes for me... most of the time it makes shoulders/horns/ears/body parts in general transparent. wish I could help you with GIMP, but I don't use that program.

Sam
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Sam »

Rhyela wrote:Anyone else run into issues where certain models, when trying to open them in an editing program, have a chunk of stuff missing from them? I have been trying to save a lynx cat model to open up in GIMP, but it always has a big piece of its skin missing. The only file extension it doesn't do that with is .jpg, but then .jpg has this dark blue background, whereas the other layers don't have a background at all (or have a checkered one), and I have no idea how to get rid of that dark blue background with .jpg layers. *pulls hair out*

I just tried, and it's happening to me too. I saved it as a .png and as a .bmp. Both have chunks of the lynx's mane missing when I open the files in Gimp. I don't know why or how to fix it, so I can't help, sorry... but at least it's not just you.

The checkered background isn't really part of the image, btw; you can put a background layer in there and it won't show.

The only way to get rid of the blue background in the .jpg is to erase/delete it which is fiddly work what with all the furry bits spiking out around the edges of the lynx. :? But it's certainly doable.
"There are very few problems caused by sorcerers that can't be solved with a sharp stick."
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Not sure if this is gonna be helpful or a waste... but here it goes. Maybe it will help someone in the future. But it seems Rhyela is having issues with how she is handling her images a bit... so I thought this could help them out. ;)

So I am starting off with a .bmp image of a pose of king krush... I said just before that I use .jpg ....my bad. I actually never use .jpg! Whoops. I usually always save my images in .bmp format. Spirit beasts I am known for using .png but thats about it.
Krush with a white background.png
Krush with a white background.png (329.55 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
I wrote in some stuff in red... this stage is fairly simple.

Next I need to remove the white background that I had selected in WMV. Its no good if I want to overlap, so it must go:
krush on a transparent BG.png
krush on a transparent BG.png (365.06 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
I did this by using a magic wand tool, and setting the tolerance to 1... this is a cheap quick method to remove a BG. Then I hit inverse, and copied. I like to start from a fresh canvas, so I create my desired size and paste Krush onto that. I could have skipped that step and just hit "cut" before "inverse", but I'm crazy.

Now I needed a BG to give him a setting so I found this:
the background.png
the background.png (447.43 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Using that rectangle marquee tool I just copied and pasted this image in the layer under Krush. That way its behind him not covering him.

Here he is with his new setting, looking pleased with himself as though he caused the wreckage. (Typical, taking credit for Deathwing's work! ;))
krush has a setting now.png
krush has a setting now.png (442.03 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Final stages happen here... I could go into more detail, but I was really just trying to help you simply remove a background and stuff. Mighta already gotten too detailed as it is. Oops. Hehe.
Birth of a krush siggy.png
Birth of a krush siggy.png (207.96 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
And of course, here is the sig version. Anyone who wants to use it can. Not exactly my best work but whatever =P
rawr.png
rawr.png (170.04 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
Apologies for any typos in the images. I made them rather fast. D:
Hope it helps someone!

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Okay.....I'm going to give this a shot! Admittedly, I am 99.7% unfamiliar with all the tools in GIMP. I think I've pretty much just used "move layer" and "rotate layer". :lol:

Thank you so much for that explanation, Serenith. I'm going to try to get a lot of practice and get better. You went way out of your way to make that guide easy to follow, and I greatly appreciate it. :hug:

Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Rhyela wrote:Okay.....I'm going to give this a shot! Admittedly, I am 99.7% unfamiliar with all the tools in GIMP. I think I've pretty much just used "move layer" and "rotate layer". :lol:

Thank you so much for that explanation, Serenith. I'm going to try to get a lot of practice and get better. You went way out of your way to make that guide easy to follow, and I greatly appreciate it. :hug:

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Okay, I have officially concluded that GIMP just sucks. That, or I am hopelessly stupid and should never come within 100 yards of a photo editing program, ever again. I used the fuzzy select tool and removed the blue area, but then it just became white instead of transparent, and still covered up my background. Grrrr! I either need to just save up money for Photoshop and hope I don't epicfail with it, too, or give up altogether. :cry:

This is as far as I got before giving up. :lol: As you can see, the lynx refuses to be on a transparent background. He must be on an opaque background and irritate me beyond measure.
Attachments
poop.jpg
poop.jpg (137.33 KiB) Viewed 2986 times

Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Not sure this will help... but when you are removing the background are you just selecting "cut"? Are you seeing the checkerboard?

Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

If that is so, then make a second layer, place it under the lynx layer, make sure that layer is transparent. When you cut the background out if should be transparent at that point. At least it would be in Photoshop.... that or selecting the image and inverse the marquee. Then hit copy and create a new file with the desired size and be sure its a transparent BG. As I said, not sure how GIMP works.

Sam
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Sam »

Rhyela wrote:Okay, I have officially concluded that GIMP just sucks. That, or I am hopelessly stupid and should never come within 100 yards of a photo editing program, ever again. I used the fuzzy select tool and removed the blue area, but then it just became white instead of transparent, and still covered up my background. Grrrr! I either need to just save up money for Photoshop and hope I don't epicfail with it, too, or give up altogether. :cry:

This is as far as I got before giving up. :lol: As you can see, the lynx refuses to be on a transparent background. He must be on an opaque background and irritate me beyond measure.
I think Gimp is needlessly difficult. I had the same exact problem. What I did as a workaround was fuzzy-select the background, then do Select>Inverse, so the cat was selected instead. Copy/paste it to its own layer, then delete the entire layer with the blue background on it.

I still had some blue pixels around the edges that had to be erased (I zoomed in to 400% and did them with the 1 pixel eraser brush). There might be an easier way to do this but it worked. I'd rather use .png or .bmp though, and just have a clear background to begin with.

When I was working on my sig, I had the disappearing-texture problem with the .png on my brain bug's brain. The rest looked fine, but the brain was a solid color. So I hit print screen in WMV and pasted that into a Gimp image, then selected the brain area and pasted as a new layer over my .png. Funky workaround but once I had it positioned right and merged the layers, it looked perfect.

Gimp can be a pain, the best thing I can say is don't expect it to work like Photoshop, because for whatever the designers' reasons, they did things their own way... and remember that it's FREE! and that there are tutorials and stuff out there if you get stuck. :mrgreen:
"There are very few problems caused by sorcerers that can't be solved with a sharp stick."
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Sam wrote:
Rhyela wrote:Okay, I have officially concluded that GIMP just sucks. That, or I am hopelessly stupid and should never come within 100 yards of a photo editing program, ever again. I used the fuzzy select tool and removed the blue area, but then it just became white instead of transparent, and still covered up my background. Grrrr! I either need to just save up money for Photoshop and hope I don't epicfail with it, too, or give up altogether. :cry:

I think Gimp is needlessly difficult. I had the same exact problem. What I did as a workaround was fuzzy-select the background, then do Select>Inverse, so the cat was selected instead. Copy/paste it to its own layer, then delete the entire layer with the blue background on it.

I still had some blue pixels around the edges that had to be erased (I zoomed in to 400% and did them with the 1 pixel eraser brush). There might be an easier way to do this but it worked. I'd rather use .png or .bmp though, and just have a clear background to begin with.

When I was working on my sig, I had the disappearing-texture problem with the .png on my brain bug's brain. The rest looked fine, but the brain was a solid color. So I hit print screen in WMV and pasted that into a Gimp image, then selected the brain area and pasted as a new layer over my .png. Funky workaround but once I had it positioned right and merged the layers, it looked perfect.

Gimp can be a pain, the best thing I can say is don't expect it to work like Photoshop, because for whatever the designers' reasons, they did things their own way... and remember that it's FREE! and that there are tutorials and stuff out there if you get stuck. :mrgreen:
I've never used GIMP, but what your saying is exactly how I do it and was recommending it. I never use the same file... I always start fresh by copying the image (without its background) onto a blank transparent canvas. I prefer it that way even if there is a simpler way out there... it also prevents me from accidentally writing over the original file incase I want to use it again.

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

The fuzzy select tool (magic wand) has four different modes: 1) Replace the current selection; 2) Add to the current selection; 3) Subtract from the current selection; and 4) Intersect with the current selection. I have no idea what the differences are. I just go with the first one, click on the layer so that the lynx has a selection around it, and hit delete. The dark blue space is deleted and the lynx remains, but he is now on a white background instead of blue. Woo.

I have also tried using the fuzzy select tool (each mode), copying, then deleting that layer, and then pasting what I thought I copied (the lynx) onto the new layer. It instead apparently copied the dark blue crap that I loathe, and left a lynx-shaped hole.

Honestly, I truly appreciate all your help, but I just don't think I'm going to get this. GIMP is impossibly impossible.

EDIT: I hope you're all sitting down, because I think I may have finally gotten it!!! I used the Select - Invert, then picked mode 3 of the fuzzy tool, copied, deleted the layer, and pasted on a new layer (and then "anchored" it), and VOILA!!!

Squeeeee! You guys are freakin awesome!!! Flying kitty in the sun is happy!

Edit again: Now I'll just have to figure out to save it to where it's not enormous, and fiddle with fonts and all that, but for now.....I'm just glad I finally got rid of that horrid blue background. :3
Attachments
sigh.png
sigh.png (378.49 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
likeomg.png
likeomg.png (478.23 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Last edited by Rhyela on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Feralclaw
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Rhyela wrote:The fuzzy select tool (magic wand) has four different modes: 1) Replace the current selection; 2) Add to the current selection; 3) Subtract from the current selection; and 4) Intersect with the current selection. I have no idea what the differences are. I just go with the first one, click on the layer so that the lynx has a selection around it, and hit delete. The dark blue space is deleted and the lynx remains, but he is now on a white background instead of blue. Woo.

I have also tried using the fuzzy select tool (each mode), copying, then deleting that layer, and then pasting what I thought I copied (the lynx) onto the new layer. It instead apparently copied the dark blue crap that I loathe, and left a lynx-shaped hole.

Honestly, I truly appreciate all your help, but I just don't think I'm going to get this. GIMP is impossibly impossible.
Have you tried inverting the selection after selecting it? ;)
Sam
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Sam »

Hmm, well, there's a free trial download on Adobe Photoshop's site I think....
And earlier versions are still available and cheaper than the newest...
And... *whispers* I hear you can d/l it from a torrent.
Myself, I am leery of torrents and for good reason. But just throwing that out there...

But back to Gimp, did you try selecting the inverse of the blue? Which would be the cat.
And then paste that bad boy into his own layer.