Question about WoW model viewer?

This is the place to request an avatar, get opinions on your signatures ... anything involving forum art!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Starzein
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Saurfang

Re: Question about WoW model viewer?

Unread post by Starzein »

Try Gimp-Gap its free opensource the gap component is the animation side it works in a similar way to Imageready and links to gimp in the same way imageready links to photoshop.
Its a big learning curve to begin with but the program is quite powerfull however if you can get your hands on an old copy of photoshop 7.0 with IR added its much easier to use.
heyitskat
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Crusade. US

Unread post by heyitskat »

Starzein wrote:Try Gimp-Gap its free opensource the gap component is the animation side it works in a similar way to Imageready and links to gimp in the same way imageready links to photoshop.
Its a big learning curve to begin with but the program is quite powerfull however if you can get your hands on an old copy of photoshop 7.0 with IR added its much easier to use.

ah, ok tyvm for the info.. i have gimp and adobe photoshop CS5 is that any good?
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Okay, since it's pretty obvious that I'm just ignorant when it comes to this stuff, which of the downloads from this website do I need? Do I only download one of them? All of them? A couple of them? Is there a specific place I should extract them to? I'm awful when it comes to stuff like this and I basically need step-by-step instructions. If anyone wouldn't mind lending me a hand, I'd greatly appreciate it. :) Oh and I have Windows Vista 64-bit, if that makes a difference.

http://code.google.com/p/wowmodelviewer/downloads/list

Edit: tonight I downloaded the one called WMV_r517_32bit_DEVWORK.zip and nothing's happening, so I'm doing something wrong. :(

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Eee, finally! The Madexx models are there for me! :D I just downloaded that new file and it's working fine for me.

Let's see if I can explain it for you Rhyela.

• Make sure World of Warcraft is completely closed
• Download WMV_r517_32bit_DEVWORK.zip
• It doesn't matter where you put it, WMV will run from anywhere. I keep mine on my Desktop since I use it often. Let's assume you'll put it on your Desktop for ease's sake.
• This file is a zip file, meaning it will have to be unzipped. Your computer should have a default application to do this. If you double click on the downloaded file you should see something that says 'Extract all files', possibly near the top of the window. Depends what OS you're using. If not try right clicking and looking for an unzip or extract option. Extract it to your Desktop since you'll know where it's going. You can always move it later.
• The file will now be on your Desktop in an unzipped format. If you downloaded the original zipped file to your Desktop as well you'll have two folders with identical names, but one is the zipped version. The zipped version should have a different icon, most likely with a little zipper over the folder.
• Open the new extracted folder (not the zipped one) and go into the next folder you see. There will be a list of things in there, one of them should be called 'wowmodelview32' and is an application. That is WMV. If you double click on that it should open and run directly from there. On the prompt tell it to use your default WoW directory and not a PTR or Beta one.

That's everything. I'm not the best at explaining things, but let me know if you need further help.
Starzein
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Saurfang

Unread post by Starzein »

ah, ok tyvm for the info.. i have gimp and adobe photoshop CS5 is that any good?

Sorry for the delay, in short yes that is good for animations though you need the gap application it can be downloaded from the gimp site but its kinda hard to find there try a search for gimp-gap and that should find it if your not sure if its there or not (the program wont look any different than the normal gimp) just check the toolbar it should have a video tab in between the filters and windows tabs, if it doesnt then gap (gimp animation) is not present.
If it is there then you have all you need, a trick to remember and the reason i use gimp is its ability to create transparent backgrounds (yes photoshop will do this as well but gap seems a little less complex in this action) this will greatly improve the size of your files. The command for this is color to alpha in the color tab, click on a white part of the image and set it to alpha this will make any white transparent. The other trick is to save your work as gif files this will allow the files to be easily worked on with photoshop (You will be prompted to export or convert the file first, this is normal.
I hope this helps a little, as i said in my first post the learning curve for this is large if youve not worked with animations before but playing with the program trying things out is the way to go, when in the animation you will be working with frames, if you find your files are too large try dropping down to 20 frames total (the more frames the more information, one frame though can have multiple images on it, my signature uses only 20 frames and is therefore quite small in file size but as you can see i have added multiple animations to a color background in its original form it was well over 200 frames but instead of 20 frames of one bird followed by 20 frames of the next (played together ) i simply placed all the birds together on the one layer although each bird consist of 20 frames of animation the whole sig together can be compressed to 20 frames as well, (frame 1 of bird one is added to frame 1 of bird 2 then flattened to create a single frame with two birds )
Does that make sense at all, im sorry if it doesnt im not real good with the explanations but i will try to help in a more practical way if i can feel free to ask if you have a specific idea you need help with.
heyitskat
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Crusade. US

Unread post by heyitskat »

np, thanks for replying .. :D i noticed i do have the gimp program but not the gap part. so i will just uninstall my gimp and get the one u suggested.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Vephriel wrote:Eee, finally! The Madexx models are there for me! :D I just downloaded that new file and it's working fine for me.

Let's see if I can explain it for you Rhyela.

• Make sure World of Warcraft is completely closed
• Download WMV_r517_32bit_DEVWORK.zip
• It doesn't matter where you put it, WMV will run from anywhere. I keep mine on my Desktop since I use it often. Let's assume you'll put it on your Desktop for ease's sake.
• This file is a zip file, meaning it will have to be unzipped. Your computer should have a default application to do this. If you double click on the downloaded file you should see something that says 'Extract all files', possibly near the top of the window. Depends what OS you're using. If not try right clicking and looking for an unzip or extract option. Extract it to your Desktop since you'll know where it's going. You can always move it later.
• The file will now be on your Desktop in an unzipped format. If you downloaded the original zipped file to your Desktop as well you'll have two folders with identical names, but one is the zipped version. The zipped version should have a different icon, most likely with a little zipper over the folder.
• Open the new extracted folder (not the zipped one) and go into the next folder you see. There will be a list of things in there, one of them should be called 'wowmodelview32' and is an application. That is WMV. If you double click on that it should open and run directly from there. On the prompt tell it to use your default WoW directory and not a PTR or Beta one.

That's everything. I'm not the best at explaining things, but let me know if you need further help.
Thanks Veph! It works now. Though it's almost like I have to quickly select the WoW path I wish to use, otherwise, it doesn't open. Weird.

Check out my incredibly noobish new signature!!! :D :headbang: I am also really fail with gimp right now, but I suppose practice makes perfect. In the meantime, I'm rather impressed with myself that I even managed to merge two layers with no background and save them as something I could use in a signature! :lol:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Ellonna
Realm: Ravenholdt

Unread post by Ellonna »

So this is a long shot, but does anyone have a Mac version of WMV already compiled? I read their little tutorial on compiling it and even thought about doing it, but I am NOT good at programming at all and I didn't really understand their instructions, as they seem to be written for someone who knows what they are doing.

I have OS X 10.6, if that helps.
Squake
Realm: Sporeggar

Unread post by Squake »

Thanks for tutorial, Karathyriel. I finally succeeded to make something. This is my first shot, I will try to make it better.

Thanks again :)

Squake - Sporeggar EU

My Pets

Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Morven »

Ellonna and others: I have a working build of WMV for Mac. It has some issues, compared to the Windows one, but it mostly works. I'm looking into getting some of those broken features to work better.
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

When saving a sized screenshot of a character I'm attempting to make a signature with this happens(look at the shoulders/cape).
http://i.imgur.com/emalo.png

How do I fix it :O

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Kurenio »

what is Shy-rotam/Rak'Shiri listed under in WMV

My Characters
Rongar, Serenith and Me!

Vephriel

Kurenio wrote:what is Shy-rotam/Rak'Shiri listed under in WMV
Frostsabre I believe :)
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Kurenio »

Vephriel wrote:
Kurenio wrote:what is Shy-rotam/Rak'Shiri listed under in WMV
Frostsabre I believe :)
THANK YOU! I couldn't find it for the life of me.

My Characters
Rongar, Serenith and Me!

Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Kurenio »

Ok what are the lynx models listed under I can't find them.

My Characters
Rongar, Serenith and Me!

Vephriel

I think they may be under an old night elf druid cat form model, I can't recall from memory at the moment.
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Kurenio »

what about the Phosphorescent Stone Drake I tried to pull up aeonaxx and change the color but that didn't work for some odd reason.

EDIT: nvm took awhile but I found it.

My Characters
Rongar, Serenith and Me!

Nili
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Khadgar EU

Unread post by Nili »

This is driving me nuts how unorganized it is. *facepalm*

Can someone help me a bit to find loque and Humar the pride lord? They elude me, its not fair :(

Thanks to Zhuge for the pretty siggy and avatarz
Nili's cavez Wishlist: Nilia Pgymy.CB Thunder. CB Daydream.
realm: 179 (hunter: 10)

Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Kurenio »

HarKoa and lion

My Characters
Rongar, Serenith and Me!

Nili
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Khadgar EU

Unread post by Nili »

oh duh. weird that when I search for lion, only objects come up.
Why must you be so confusing WMV :S

thanks ^^

Thanks to Zhuge for the pretty siggy and avatarz
Nili's cavez Wishlist: Nilia Pgymy.CB Thunder. CB Daydream.
realm: 179 (hunter: 10)