signature size

This is the place to request an avatar, get opinions on your signatures ... anything involving forum art!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

signature size

Unread post by Zangor »

it has come to my attention that some users have large signature

im making a proposal the the standard signature size be 375 X 150

this size gives enough room for creativity while at the same time making it so the signature isnt so big 1 post makes over half that page
Razzy
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: signature size

Unread post by Razzy »

I agree with the fact that there should be a signature size limit.

However, 375x150 is a little small, and that doesn't always float some people's (including my) boat. In my opinion, 500x300 is perfect. I've seen a 500x300 limit on plenty of forums, and it works fine. (It doesn't stretch the board, yet there's a good bit of room for whatever you want to put.)

Just my two cents.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I agree with the 500 width as well, 375 is rather small. it's usually the height not the width that causes most problems.
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

yea sorry i forgot that i was considering minimum size 500 X 300 does sound good
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I finally managed to plug a mod into the board software that lets me control signature sizes a bit. I wrote up a post (in the Announcement section of this forum) with my current take on some useful limits. I closed that post so it wouldn't be confusing for newbie, but let me know what you think of the guidelines here, if you think I need to change them.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

i concur on the 500x300
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Nimizar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore - US

Unread post by Nimizar »

Signatures are still huge and very distracting. I'm generally here to read posts, yet most pages are <30% post content, with the rest of the space taken up by the forum headers and absolutely gigantic signatures. Finding the actual posts amidst all the graphics and extraneous text rivals some of the most ad-riddled sites it has been my misfortune to come across (and, unlike those sites, AdBlock can't help me).

300 pixels is nearly a third of my screen (1680 x 1050) for something completely irrelevant. 2 or 3 one liner posts is all that will fit on a page due to signature blocks.

Sorry to be a grouch about it, but forums are meant to be for communication, not for people to show off their artwork (outside threads dedicated to such things, of course).

A forum option that allowed readers to disable display of signatures would be the best thing, but as I don't believe the underlying forum software supports that, a more drastic height limit that also accounts for text lines in addition to images would be wonderful.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Agreed, most sigs are a bit big IMO too. Mine is 250 high, yet I still find it obnoxiously big.

Size rules are a bit too strict too, but I can understand the reason why.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

Is mine too big? I can make it smaller :D
Nikrosnil
Haiku Master
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Nikrosnil »

Please don't make the signature size limit smaller than It is! You won't be able to see the details on the art i've commissioned, which will be part of my next signature...

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I don't think there's a problem with the current signature standard. Most people already have graphics pertaining to the size restrictions, so no sense changing it now.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I apologize -- I should have posted about this before but it never occurred to me:

These is an option to turn off the display of signatures. Go to the User Control Panel (link is currently in the upper right), then choose Board Preferences and under that Edit Display Options.

You can turn off the display of a number of things here, including signatures, avatars, smilies, and pictures within posts. (That last option displays image links in the post instead of the full image.)

I'll make a sticky about this so people wandering in later can find it. And thank you for bringing up the topic, Nimizar. (Also, good to see you here.)
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

With the option to turn off sigs, would it be possible to increase the signature limit to, say, 500k? It's what most forums I've been on have, and those on "weak" computers can just turn signatures off.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Are you mad?
It's my only excuse for not maing epic movies as signatures!
"Can't squeeze that into 300KB, huh?"

Now you wanna take it away from me?!? ;)
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Yes, and that way I could get my warpstalker!

Seriously tough, with just 200k more I could make my sigs incredibly less grainy, and smoothen out the animations.