Is this a new "feature"? or a bug? or unique to my system?

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Is this a new "feature"? or a bug? or unique to my system?

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I noticed this last week or so, that my Obsidian Nightwing does at more or less regular intervals the sounds of "pitter patter" of being on the ground, then the "whoosh" of take-off, but while flying. It's really annoying! It used to fly smoothly, only making that sound if I skirted a mountain top too closely and actually touched it.

now it just does it like every 5-10 seconds. just one single instance of "padda-thump", then the whoosh of wings opening. then it's back to smooth flying.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Re: Is this a new "feature"? or a bug? or unique to my syste

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

I'm 100% certain it's a bug. My Sandstone Drake does the exact same thing and it's annoying. It seems like it does this every time the sub zone display fades, like when you pass from say Goldshire to Elwynn Forest.
ImageImage
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

it's really annoying because it's actually quite loud on my system.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

*flap, flap, flap, roar (hit the ceiling but not actually), flap, flap, flap, roar* I can't use this mount right now, it's just too annoying. :| :mrgreen:

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Flying mounts hiccup when changing sub-zones I think. I only recall it happening on my Sandstone dragon, so it might be passenger mounts only. If so, it is probably part of the new version of CRZ with zone sharding.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah I think it's what Xota said. I've noticed that quite a lot more since Legion.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I've noticed a similar thing, where it sort of drops like it ran out of air to fly in and then jerks back into gear, so to speak. It's annoying, but I need to use it to ferry my partner's lowbies to invasions. Since so many people are noticing this sort of thing, it's a safe bet it's not a problem on your end. Let us pray it's not a new "feature" But, I'm pretty sure it's a bug.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yeah my Sandstone drake forgets it can fly at some intervals.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

I never noticed it before until the legion update. My sandstone drake would "land" and then take off again when I flew into a new zone, it wasn't just sound either I got the animation too. I thought it was a bug when I was carrying a passanger and it did it like 5 times in a row when I wasn't even passing into a new zone.

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

This could also be due to the fact that these mounts, while they are passenger mounts, are also trans-formative mounts (and are technically your character). This could certainly have something to do with the stuttering and code/zoning issues introduced in Legion.

It's likey now, while you are now entering a new zone (that is shared with other servers), it is also now having to adjust Mobs within to your appropriate level. (As there can be many other players, of various levels, iterating with the same targets)
With the new mob scaling we've not experienced before in an outdoor capacity and would certainly add to extra stutters, adjustments, and glitchy behavior.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

does this whole mob-scaling thing mean that two characters that aren't the same level won't be able to party together in Broken Isles?

"Step on no pets!"

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

From what I understand, quite the opposite, you should be able to quest together with better efficiency. Mob level is almost irrelevant now as all mobs will be adjusted to your level regardless of zone. (to a certain degree, more on this at the end)

From what I understand, if you (lets say you're level 108) are questing with your friend (whom is level 103) and are both attacking the same mob. This mob with be/act like a level 108 to you and level 103 to your friend in relation to damage and health.
To clarify a little (for the sake of science), lets say you are both BM Hunters, if you both use kill command, it will reduce the mobs health as if it was an equal level monster to you, and thus you would do approximately the same damage per say (reduce the mobs health by a similar percent) excluding any modifiers such as armor/artifact bonuses.

This does make things a little harder (or as the designers would have you experience it) if you take a certain questing path and miss some zones. It will mean that if you skipped, say high mountain for example, and you're already at level 110, if you choose to go back and finish the content, it's not set to a level 102-104 zone. You can't really out level/stomp it as all the mobs will also rise to level 110. The only things that will help you do this is end game gear/artifacts power gained after reaching 110.

Does that help make it a little clearer? (Sorry I can suck at explaining things :? )

Oh and this rule changes in certain zones where mobs are set to lvl 110 and with certain stats such as endgame zones, dungeons and the likes.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Sukurachi wrote:does this whole mob-scaling thing mean that two characters that aren't the same level won't be able to party together in Broken Isles?
I think it'll be fine and work just like the Invasions currently do, where the demons are the level of your character no matter who else is in the zone or group with you. Everyone sees enemies that match their own character's level, and you can all contribute and fight them at the same time. :) It's really quite impressive tech honestly, the only thing I'll kind of miss is out-leveling an area because it always felt nice to get stronger than the mobs. :c
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

thanks to both of you, it makes it much clearer.

"Step on no pets!"