Warcraft Mounts changes

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Warcraft Mounts changes

Unread post by Wain »

These changes are coming up, but not yet implemented...

Blizzard are replacing their Armory APIs (the code interfaces we use to query data) to new ones, and they're requiring all developers to switch by Dec 16. I'm not sure why they're in such a hurry, but it's not too bad.

Blizzard themselves are still trying to fix bugs and restore missing features in the new APIs, so it's possible some things may not work right to begin with, but so far it's looking good. I've actually tested them out on Warcraft Mounts and the queries seem to work fine.

There should be only one obvious (and actually really good!) change for WCM users: with the change I should actually be able to query a user's entire mount collection from just one character, regardless of faction or class restrictions. So hopefully we can operate a lot more like Warcraft Pets, where you just add one character to your profile and update your collection from that. And hopefully I can rip out all the multiple-character code, which honestly was a mess to maintain, and a chore for users who had to update multiple characters. Hopefully nobody cares that much for having multiple characters on their page.

One bug is preventing me from switching the site over immediately - and it's that all the Arena/Gladiator's mounts aren't appearing in the new API at all. Even for the players who initially earned them. I've reported it and will wait till it's fixed before switching the site over. Hopefully they appear in the API query for any character on the same account, or otherwise I'll have to keep the multiple-character code. Actually, are Gladiator mounts account-wide now? I don't own any and I've lost track of where they ended up with that decision. :/

Oh, and as an aside - the developers said they were going to look at adding display data to the hunter pets API. What this means is we might finally be able to add Armory queries to Petopia (or this forum maybe?) that show a user's pet collection, and in the proper colours (currently, unless a pet only comes in one colour, you can't tell what colour the character has).
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Re: Warcraft Mounts changes

Unread post by Castile »

Sounds good wain, thanks for your work on this too! Much love from the mount collectors of azeroth <3

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~