Password Reset Poll

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.

How many times do you think I've reset my Warcraft Mounts password for testing in the past 24 hours?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:55 am

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
23%
62%
15%
No votes

Total votes: 13

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Password Reset Poll

Unread post by Mania »

Guess how many times I've had to reset my own password on Warcraft Mounts in the past 24 hours, in order to test password reset on the live site.

Bonus points if you can name the two separate reasons I am testing it live.
Saturo

Re: Password Reset Poll

Unread post by Saturo »

I'm guessing 12, with the reason being evil people, like me.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

How come there's no option 42?

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Because you improved the feature? Because you're checking for repeats? Because you found an error in the coding? Uhmm... Because you were bored and had nothing better to do? @_@

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Ah, I didn't mean why I was testing it, but why I was testing it on the live site instead of on my local testing environment like a good developer.
Sarayana

... because you're lazy? ;P Haha just kidding, I've no idea.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Unread post by Dakonic »

Because you wanted too. =] Haha I don't know.
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

The correct answer ended up being 13 because I had to do one more test after I posted the poll. *sigh* But I expected it to be 12.

And as for the reasons: I run an Apache webserver on my home computer, of course (who doesn't?), but I don't have a mail server set up locally. So for e-mail sending, the final tests must unfortunately always be made on the live site.

Generally that only means one test when I am done with everything else, though. This time I ran afoul of something I didn't even know about before, although I should have: I'm running different versions of the Zend framework at home and on the live server.

One of the changes in the newer version relates to what gets returned from a database call when there are no matching rows. The code was doing an explicit check (===) against the old return value of null, but the new return value is FALSE, so the explicit check failed. Of course, it's easy enough to change that to a loose check (==) or change what you are checking against, but that's hard to do when you don't know what happened and can't figure out why the code has EVER worked on the live site.
Sarayana

Haha. I'm so glad I don't have to do that. Mind you, my work isn't very different... After all, I work with databases too, just the statistical kind. We speak the same language, just different dialects. ;)

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

1 PRINT YAY!
2 GOTO 1

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Mania wrote:The correct answer ended up being 13 because I had to do one more test after I posted the poll. *sigh* But I expected it to be 12.

And as for the reasons: I run an Apache webserver on my home computer, of course (who doesn't?), but I don't have a mail server set up locally. So for e-mail sending, the final tests must unfortunately always be made on the live site.

Generally that only means one test when I am done with everything else, though. This time I ran afoul of something I didn't even know about before, although I should have: I'm running different versions of the Zend framework at home and on the live server.

One of the changes in the newer version relates to what gets returned from a database call when there are no matching rows. The code was doing an explicit check (===) against the old return value of null, but the new return value is FALSE, so the explicit check failed. Of course, it's easy enough to change that to a loose check (==) or change what you are checking against, but that's hard to do when you don't know what happened and can't figure out why the code has EVER worked on the live site.
......I know what the word "test" means!!! Beyond that I have no idea what you just said. :lol:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Essentially, she had different versions of the server program, and each version dealt with the input in a different way. One didn't respond at all, and the other one gave an internal error message.