Warcraft Mounts has a new look!

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Warcraft Mounts has a new look!

Unread post by Mania »

Take a gander at Warcraft Mounts and tell me what you think.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Re: Warcraft Mounts has a new look!

Unread post by Karathyriel »

At first, I thought it to look rather cold and empty.
When you are used to the blue theme, it still is.

I have to admit, I don't visit this site very often, as mounts are nothing that make my heart go fast. Mostly, I decide on a mount for flying and a mount for riding that fits my toon and thats it. I don't collect.

The design reminds me a bit of Warcraft Pets.

There are some very good ideas in this design, but still... I don't know... Can't lay my finger on it but something is missing to make it look more... alive, interesting, useable... Hope you get my meaning here.
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

I have to agree with Kara here, the layout seems to be missing something. It has very little structure and some of the parts don't fit so well together - particularly the different borders of the navigation and news box gives it sort of a random feeling.

Heh, probably not the kind of opinion what you were looking for, but felt like I'd throw it out there.
Idras
Realm: Outland

Unread post by Idras »

Registered here to post my opinion about this :)

I quite liked the old layout, and I'm not disliking this new layout either. But I think there is a room for improvement! Some comments:

- On the top of all sites, you have a LOT of blank space next to the Warcraft Mounts logo. Surely this space could somehow be used? Be it an expanded website banner, login fields and or some navigation links.
- Make it clear that the site can be used to manage a mount collection. This is now quite hard to spot for a user firstly coming to the website! Perhaps incorporate this with an expanded banner as suggested above!
- On the site where one can manage mounts, it would be cool to have a quicklink on top of the site to directly jump to the wishlist/exluded mounts.
- Perhaps a background picture to the site would also be nice!

But yeah, fix the problem with the big white space next to the current logo and I'll look a LOT better!

Edit: When I tried to change password, I got this error message:
-------------------
Notice: Undefined variable: account in /srv/www/heimburg/www.warcraftmounts.com/htdocs/user/account.php on line 115

Fatal error: Call to a member function getEmail() on a non-object in /srv/www/heimburg/www.warcraftmounts.com/htdocs/user/account.php on line 115
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I will also have to agree that it seems to be missing something. When I opened the page my first thought was that the background hadn't loaded. I think I can see what you were going for - a clean white look can certainly perform well, but this one might just need some tweaking. Right now the white is too prevalent and gives an overall blank or unfinished appearance.

Even just adding a coloured border and top banner would fix a lot I believe. ^^ The white looks nice as a backdrop to the mount galleries, but the sidebars could use some spiffing up. :)
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Yah, my sugestions have already been posted, but if you wish to liven it up, try a background, if only to fade it a lot, because the site looks empty and unfinished right now.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I think it looks nice and clean and its easy to navigate :D Maybe a banner advertisement across the top for warcraft mounts would help with what some feel is empty space its just something people are used to seeing and shameless self advertising is not always a bad thing ;)
Driaa Silverhand
Realm: Silver Hand

Unread post by Driaa Silverhand »

A lot has already been said about the general look of the site, so I'm gonna skip straight to some suggestions I have about functionality. On the old layout, there were two features that I find I really miss on this new layout. First, on the old layout, when you were logged in and browsing through the mounts, you could edit if you owned the mount or not straight from the browsing page without having to actually click on the mount first. It was a really handy feature that I would like to see return.

Second, when you clicked on a mount for the details on the old layout, in addition to all the other info it would tell you the percentage of other players who already owned it. I found this quite useful for a quick glance at the rarity of a particular mount.

Lastly, this feature was not part of the old layout but I thought I'd suggest it while I'm at it ;) I thought it would be handy to not only have who sells/drops the mount but also the drop percentage if possible. I always have to go to an external site to look up the specific drop rates. Just a suggestion. :)

I do actually like the new layout overall though.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I tend to like "clean" sites, but this is a little cold. Maybe a simple background would help.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback. I was going for clean and streamlined, but obviously I missed by a bit. ;) I'll have to do some thinking on this.
Idras wrote:Edit: When I tried to change password, I got this error message: [...]
That's now been fixed! Sorry about that.
Driaa Silverhand wrote:First, on the old layout, when you were logged in and browsing through the mounts, you could edit if you owned the mount or not straight from the browsing page without having to actually click on the mount first. It was a really handy feature that I would like to see return.
It would be easy enough with this layout to tell you whether or not you own the mount; harder to let you change whether or not you own it. Is it seeing your state or changing it that you most need from the browsing pages?
Nikrosnil
Haiku Master
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Nikrosnil »

I believe what is missing is the lack of graphics. Not complicated graphics, just a few more images to make the page more visually attractive.

For example, Why not put a faded mount image at the top in the center, or several mounts, and a line describing the site. "A collection of world of warcraft mounts" or "The World of Warcraft Mount Database".

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I know sometimes its not easy hearing a lot somewhat negative feedback,but remember its still the best mount site out there :D keep trying I know it'll look awesome.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

That's really cool, Bulletdance -- thanks! ;)

I'm still fiddling with the site. I have some silhouette artwork I'd like to get in, and .. err .. I forgot to turn ads back on. (Unfortunately I need the ads to support my website habit.)

In other somewhat off-topic news, I was pleased to see that WoW Insider picked up on the new artwork in their WRUP post today. (Even if they didn't link to me ...)
Britty
Realm: Turalyon, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Britty »

I'm another that only registered due to the fact I wanted to leave feedback.

I, personally, miss the feature that displayed what percentage of the users had said such mount. While I can look at a statistical value from clicking the wowhead link, I always liked comparing that to the mount page.

Other than that, I find it a great improvement. I would still like to see a colored background though.
arbiterex
Realm: Perenolde

Unread post by arbiterex »

I like the site the way it is, nice clean feel. I do agree with missing the % owned on each mount's page kinda sucks though.

Another personal comment I have for the site is that only one frostwyrm gladiator mount is on there. Is there a reason for this? I'm sure some people have more than one and personally I have the relentless frostwyrm but not the deadly one. It's not a huge deal because I just put on the deadly but I can see it as annoying for someone with more than one.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Ah, that would be called missing data. ;) Somehow I seem to have dropped a couple of Arena mounts. I'll get them added as soon as I can.

Thanks for pointing that out! Any time you see something like that, feel free to send me an e-mail or post here.
evilincarnat
Realm: crushridge

Unread post by evilincarnat »

like the new look with being able to see what the mounts look like and all cause it makes it a lot easier to find all ur mounts if u know what a lot look like i know when i was trying to fill in my 110 it was annoying just looking at the names and trying to figure it out
sidenote was wondering if there was still that comunity button were u can check out other peoples wanting to see if there any others who posting thier collections want to see were i stand on my server for most mounts
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

I agree with the others. It's nice and clean, but lacking something. All that white space, perhaps a background of some sort would help.
Aunor

Unread post by Aunor »

Looks good to me! But where is the search button?

Speaking of searching, will we ever be able to search by color? Such as putting in "Blue" and getting things like Azure mounts, etc.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Search is temporarily turned off until I can fix the page. It used to have color searching and whatnot, but when I switched to a new database wrapper I didn't have time to fix it, so I neutered it instead. Unfortunately, even neutering wasn't good enough after this update. ;) But it's on my list to fix.