100 mounts achievement question

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

100 mounts achievement question

Unread post by Dulanie »

I am trying to get the blue dragonhawk mount from the achievement and am kinda stuck at 54 mounts. I was wondering if anyone knew the easiest way to get to 100 mounts without pvp, trading cards, or Blizz store? And yes I do have epic flying.
We don't die. We multiply.
Saturo

Re: 100 mounts achievement question

Unread post by Saturo »

Get the PvP mounts. Trust me. You'll love that you got those when you start getting to 95+.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dulanie »

/sigh I hate pvping on my hunter. Although watching idiots try to kill my pet before me is hilarious. What sucks for me is that the only time Alliance has WG on my server is between 4am-8am after that Horde FTW. I only have about 12k honor on her, and that's after turning in all the BG badges, and shards I had. :(
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I would suggest Nether Ray, Netherdrake, Wintersaber, Talbuk...Er...Any dungeon mounts. Blue drake, lazy Baron hunting, all of tourney mounts...Do those and you should be good.
Ungoro
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shattered Halls PVP EU

Unread post by Ungoro »

Got the AQ ones yet? Red is a bit of a pain, but the other three have a fairly high drop rate.

Ungoro of Khadgar

<Disturbing The Peace>

http://dragcave.net/user/Ungoro

Suicune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst/Staghelm

Unread post by Suicune »

Rep mounts, instance drops (it helps if you have someone willing to pass to you, not everyone is lucky enough to get that though), PvP/Argent Tourney mounts... all of those help. Work on your purple proto if you haven't already. I actually got my 100 without all of the PvP. If you are 80, the easiest way to PvP mounts is just doing the weekly WG quest (gather fire thingies, dragonbone arrows, enchanted armor).
~Queen of the Spirit Beasts~

Follow me on Twitter @GoddessSuicune

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... e/advanced <-Main.

http://goddess-suicune.deviantart.com/ <-Rarely updated, too busy playing WoW. :lol:

The Dark Swarm is always looking for new faces! Stop by our Guild website: http://www.thedarkswarm.gamerlaunch.com (Azuremyst/Staghelm)
Arkiss
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune

Unread post by Arkiss »

Your home factions help out a lot, and don't forget all of the normal and armoured griffons. Here's a bit of a list by location/faction so hope it helps a bit:

AQ40: 4 ground mounts (trash drops)

Netherwing: 6 flying mounts (1 free, 5 vendor 200g)

Sha'tari Skyguard: 5 flying mounts (5 vendor 200g)

Kurenai: 8 ground mounts (8 vendor 70-100g)

Tailoring: 3 flying mounts (recipe, cost varies)

Engineering: 2 flying / 1 ground mounts (recipe, cost varies)

PvP: 10 ground mounts (6 honour, 1 VoA drop, 1 Stonekeeper Shards, 2 Halaani battle/research tokens)

Oldworld Dungeon/Raid Drops: 4 ground mounts (rare boss drops in Karazhan, ZG, ZA, Stratholme)

Outlands Dungeon/Raid Drops: 2 flying / 1 ground mounts (rare boss drops in Tempest Keep, Magister's Terrace, Sethekk Halls)

Northrend Dungeon/Raid Drops: 9 flying / 2 ground mounts (rare boss drops, gauntlet events and tribute chests)

Argent Tournament: 2 flying / 12 ground mounts (400 gold and Champion Seals)

Wyrmrest Accord: 1 flying mount (1600g and Exalted)

Sons of Hodir: 2 ground mounts (LOTS of gold and Exalted)

Kirin Tor: 1 flying / 3 ground mounts (LOTS MORE gold and 200 Symbols of Heroism)

Cenarion Expedition: 1 flying mount (1600g and Exalted)

Winterspring: 1 ground mount (vendor 10g)

World Events: 2 flying / 1 ground mounts (rare boss drops)

Achievements: 7 flying / 2 ground mounts (dungeon/raid achievements, For the Alliance, Tribute chests, World events, 50 mounts)

Miscellaneous: 2 flying / 2 ground mounts (rare monster drop, rare egg spawn, rare daily reward, rare fishing drop)
Last edited by Arkiss on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And in case you should wonder, and in case you should care...on that night of all nights, we were already there.

Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Terenas (EU)

Unread post by Tyuriwen »

/sigh I hate pvping on my hunter. Although watching idiots try to kill my pet before me is hilarious. What sucks for me is that the only time Alliance has WG on my server is between 4am-8am after that Horde FTW. I only have about 12k honor on her, and that's after turning in all the BG badges, and shards I had.
I feel for you, but Saturo's right. If I didn't get lucky with drops (i.e Razzashi Raptor/White Hawstrider), I would've needed all 5. Honour is extremely easy to get nowadays, the dailies give shed loads, and with the Random Battleground it's easy to break up the monotony. =) If you REALLY want 100 mounts, you go for it! ;P

Walk softly, and carry a big gun.

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Fael
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Fael »

Which flying mount drops in Sunwell? o_O So far as I know off the top of my head it's 1 flying and 2 ground in Outlands with the following:

Magisters' Terrace: Swift White Hawkstrider
Sethekk Halls: Raven Lord
Tempest Keep: Ashes of Al'ar\

I am not certain if they were included in your list but there are also the seasonal mounts that drop from a boss. The Brewfest Ram, the Brewfest Kodo, the Love Rocket, The Headless Horseman's Mount.

Absolutely check out the http://www.warcraftmounts.com/ site to help yourself keep track of what is left to gather. You can strike out every purchasable/TGC mount and it should be a great help to you!
Arkiss
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Arkiss »

I meant TK, not Su, that's what I get for typing at 2 in the morning >.<

And "world events" covers the seasonal ones, there's only 3 since the ram is no longer available, having been replaced with the kodo last year

And in case you should wonder, and in case you should care...on that night of all nights, we were already there.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Arkiss wrote:I meant TK, not Su, that's what I get for typing at 2 in the morning >.<

And "world events" covers the seasonal ones, there's only 3 since the ram is no longer available, having been replaced with the kodo last year
Wut?

The ram still exists and does drop. The kodo was an addition, not a replacement.

I'm sitting at 96 mounts myself and five of those were "difficult" drops. All that did was save me grinding for tourney mounts. Oh, and two are from engineering. :D It's really simple now, but you WILL need to farm battlegrounds/rep/etc.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I had to get waaaaay to familiar with the argent tournament to complete my 100 mounts. I'd recommend getting some of the pvp. You can use stonekeeper's shards for pvp points.
Gumballs
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Gumballs »

Get the pvp mounts. Remember, like Bulletdance said, you don't need to actually pvp anymore to get them, just run heroics alot when you have WG :P

These are the bought/rep mounts I used to get to 100:

33 Horde Faction Mounts
8 Wind Riders
5 PvP Mounts
9 Talbuks
6 Nether Drakes
5 Nether Rays
1 Drake (red)
1 Cenarion Hippogryff
3 Mammoths
9 AT Mounts
1 Armored Brown Bear

These are the dropped/special/achievement mounts I used to get to 100:

1 Zevrah (retired)
1 Sea Turtle
1 Baron's Deathcharger
1 Brewfest Ram
1 Brewfest Kodo
1 White Polar Bear
2 Drakes (bronze, albino)
1 Ravasaur (quest)
1 Black War Bear
4 AQ Tanks
2 Proto-Drakes (green/violet)
3 Crafted (2 eng, 1 tailoring)

From then on I also got:

1 Red Dragonhawk
1 PvP Mount
2 Crafted Mounts (tailoring)
1 Celestial Steed
1 AT Mount
1 X-53 Touring Rocket
1 Twilight Drake

~~

There are also more AT mounts available for me to get, along with more dropped mounts, a few more rep and then the money dumps like the bike. As you can see there are lots of options, and more probably that I havn't mentioned. Good luck on your dragonhawk :)
Rejoined the hunt after a lengthy break... feels good!
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I got my 100 with the help of pvp mounts there very easy to get and you can get nearly 100 mounts with out a single drop mount. AQ mounts are easy to farm reds a bit rare but still easy to get. Brewfest mounts too are easy to farm and have good drop rates and get all the rep mounts no netherwing is not hard to get at 80 so many people bitch about that i got my netherwing drakes at 70 for crying out loud!

Oh Arkiss did you mean the normal 60% brewfest ram? you can still get the 100% one. (i have both XD)
Gumballs
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Brewfest are about the same as any mount to get, plus you only have 2 weeks to do it, and it's not for months. If you have a nice group of 4+ people (including alts) that will let you have both mounts if they drop it will be a breeze to get because I'm betting you will see at least one. I did Brewfest as many times as I could, probably at least 9-10 summons a day and I saw a total of 3 kodos and 2 rams over the course of the holiday. Luckily I was running with friends who rolled, won and gave to me. :P

Don't stress about getting 100 mounts, since there is plenty of options and like cowmuflage sad you can get it without any rare drops. I know you hate pvp (I do as well), but like everyone has said those six mounts really help in the long run. :)
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dulanie »

To get the pvp mounts I would have to do BGs considering that Alliance on my server only has WG when horde side is raiding or at 4am. Either way it averages to once or twice a day.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Dulanie wrote:To get the pvp mounts I would have to do BGs considering that Alliance on my server only has WG when horde side is raiding or at 4am. Either way it averages to once or twice a day.
BGs are EXTREMELY efficient now, even if you're losing, simply because of the consolation honor for a randomized loss.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Kalliope wrote:
Dulanie wrote:To get the pvp mounts I would have to do BGs considering that Alliance on my server only has WG when horde side is raiding or at 4am. Either way it averages to once or twice a day.
BGs are EXTREMELY efficient now, even if you're losing, simply because of the consolation honor for a randomized loss.
Farming AVs is the most efficient way, actually. Randomized AVs are the best, but your chances of getting that lucky are low. A straight AV honor farm would provide about 25% more honor than the average of farming randoms. You see, randoms contain things like WSG and AB, and those aren't considered that optimal. They are time-consuming, and reward surprisingly little honor.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Arkiss
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Arkiss »

An additional bonus to doing the random BGs are the arena points, you can swap 100 of those for 2000 honour at the arena vendors.

I was unaware that the swift ram was still available, I thought both got retired last year. I didn't see EITHER drop during Brewfest last year, just a lot of trinkets and broken bottles. There's always this year though.

There's a good trick to soloing the AQ40 mounts, and it goes like this:
1 - Bring tank pet into Temple of Ahn Qiraj (not Ruins, as I found out the hard way >.<)
2 - There will be 4 anubis-like mobs on the far wall
3 - Send your pet in and single one out to kill (If you're BM and can get your pet to hold aggro you might be able to get 2 if the mobs don't pop Mortal Strikes)
4 - Feign Death and let your pet die
5 - Wait for the mobs to run back to their starting points and respawn any dead ones
6 - Rez pet
7 - Loot corpse
8 - Repeat 3-7 as necessary until you get your bug!

While this is a raid and technically you have to be in a raid group to go in, you can handily cheat by grouping with a friend, converting that group to a raid, and then waltz in by yourself while they chill in Dalaran. It took me 8 attempts to get my blue tank, so the drop rates aren't terrible. Just keep at it, and remember to loot everything - AQ scarabs can turn out to be worth lots to the right people!

Gumballs
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Gumballs wrote:Brewfest are about the same as any mount to get, plus you only have 2 weeks to do it, and it's not for months. If you have a nice group of 4+ people (including alts) that will let you have both mounts if they drop it will be a breeze to get because I'm betting you will see at least one. I did Brewfest as many times as I could, probably at least 9-10 summons a day and I saw a total of 3 kodos and 2 rams over the course of the holiday. Luckily I was running with friends who rolled, won and gave to me. :P
Hey I just want to correct on what I said earlier about the Brewfest mounts since I forgot about the upcoming changes to holiday bosses! I guess it depends on whether or not it's going to be implemented before Cataclysm (or before the next mount-dropping holiday boss anyways), but holiday loot will be a solo thing now dropping from a cache (similar to the cache from the end of random occ which contains the blue drake).

So I guess we will see if that increases the mount chance, or decreases it. I think they will definitely be harder to get if they keep the current drop rate because it's a one chance per day personal loot.. which means you can't bring a huge group of people and have them pass on the mount if it drops. :(