Garrison Stables Mount Guide

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Garrison Stables Mount Guide

Unread post by Acherontia »

Just throwing together some info/pictures for those who haven't yet done the Garrison Stables mounts. A quick overview:

* None of the mounts are faction-specific.
* There is no time limit to get the two achievement mounts--you can do them at any time after unlocking the prerequisite items (level 2 and level 3 Stables).
* You cannot upgrade your Stables to level 3 until your Garrison itself is level 3.

1. Building the Stables in your Garrison gives you access to a Stable Master, as well as six mounts which you train over time. These mounts are as follows; links are to screenshots:

- Trained Riverwallow (Riverbeast) -
- Trained Icehoof (Clefthoof) -
- Trained Snarler (Wolf) -
- Trained Rocktusk (Boar) -
- Trained Meadowstomper (Elekk) -
- Trained Silverpelt (Talbuk) -

2. In addition, unlocking the Level 2 stables will allow you to pick this item, the Black Claw of Sethe, up from the ground inside your stables. Likewise, at level 3, you can pick up the Garn-Tooth Necklace up. These items reduce the movement spead and increase the damage taken of your mount-in-training by 25% for the Claw, and 50% for the Necklace.

So how does the training work?

* Initial Quests: Upon building your stables, you'll be given quests to go out and lasso a wild animal. You must be mounted, use the item at close range, and then follow the beast around for awhile without getting too far away. The mounts are unlocked in a certain order, which despite the Icy Veins info, varies by faction. You'll still get the same 6 (8 if you include the achievement mounts) mounts in the end, though.

* Taming: Getting too far breaks the lasso-rope, and you'll need to find another beast and start again. Some tips: for the Riverwallow, clear the Noxious (hostile) frogs in advance, and use a Water Strider mount, or water-walking spells or potions. For the Snarler, do not use your zone-specific "special" mount if you have it (the Frostwolf/Talbuk), as that tends to bug the quest--and be good at jumping ;) Once you return the beast to the stables, you'll shortly be offered a quest to tame another, and so forth. Within a day or two you should have all six beasts in your stables, ready to be trained.

* Quests: Each day you'll be given a daily quest for each beast, which will progress that mount's taming as well as rewarding a small amount (20) of Garrison resources. All you need to do is go out there, use the quest item--a whistle--to call your beast, and then while mounted, kill the quest mob. Different quest mobs have different tactics; some need to be kited, others are very easy to just sit back and nuke. Note that for these quests and for the achievements, some classes have mechanical advantages or disadvantages. Hunters cannot use their pets, mages cannot use time warp once mounted and cannot use mirror images for the quests (they don't attack), etc. Lone Wolf adds to a hunter's damage without the pet out, and you can place aggro totems down which will keep the boss attention briefly. However, any abilities that heal a "pet" (make a mend pet macro, talent Ysera's Gift as a druid, or talent and use Exhilaration as a hunter, etc) supposedly work to heal the mount. Outside of the achievements, however, such healing should be entirely unneeded.

* Progression: You'll kill a different quest mob each day, until the mount is tamed; at that point, you'll be awarded both Garrison Resources, and the mount itself. Icy-Veins has an excellent full guide here, links included, which I highly recommend. For the sake of convenience:
The mobs to kill are the same for all mounts and they all come in the same order:

Rakkiri;
Great-Tusk;
Riplash;
Gezz'ran;
Bulbapore;
Gorian Beast-Lasher;
Darkwing Roc;
Moth of Wrath;
Thundercall;
Ironbore;
Karak the Great Hunter;
Maimclaw.

Clefthoof and Talbuk training quests go all the way from Rakkiri to Maimclaw, while:

Boar training quests skip Rakkiri and Great-Tusk;
Riverbeast training quests skip Rakkiri, Great-Tusk, and Riplash;
Elekk and Wolf training quests skip Rakkiri, Great-Tusk, Riplash, Gezz'ran, and Bulbapore.
* Achievement Mounts: Part 1 Once your Stables are upgraded to level 2, you can begin on the first achievement, which awards the Armored Frostboar, shown here:

In order to do this, you'll need to pick up the Black Claw of Sethe from within your stables (DON'T forget this) at the same time as you grab your six mount dailies for the day. It's best to open up your Achievements pane: Garrison, Buildings, then track "Advanced Husbandry." You'll need to go to Nagrand, while carrying the Black Claw, and defeat the six listed mobs with -each- mount, for a total of 36 kills. In other words, you'll need to kill, for example, Ironbore, with the Riverbeast, Elekk, Boar, and the rest, before continuing on to the next mob. Each one has a respawn timer of only a few minutes, so it takes a couple of hours, tops. Note that it is best to do this achievement -before- you finish your quest chains and learn the actual mounts, for reasons I'll go into below. Upon completing the achievement, the Frostboar will appear in your Mounts pane.

With only a 25% debuff to damage taken and speed, this achievement is not particularly hard for most DPS to accomplish--I did it on a fire mage in PvP gear without much issue, and fire is currently dead last in terms of DPS.

Note: If you have a friend with the level 3 stables, you can pick up both the Garn-Tooth Necklace and the Black Claw of Sethe from their Garrison, and killing a boss will count toward -both- achievements. The buff, however, appears to stack, at least visually. Update: "Stables: Corrected an issue where players could complete The Stable Master achievement without owning a Level 3 Stable." This hotfix was applied on December 17th.

You can supposedly pick up the Black Claw of Sethe from a friend's stables if yours is only level 1. However, to pick up the Garn-Tooth Necklace, you have to do a quest (which only involves listening to a one-page 'story' about it), so you -may- not be able to get this one from a friend's level 3 stables. TRY IT, though; it'd be far easier to complete with whistles that do not have limited charges--see below.
Last edited by Acherontia on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: Garrison Stables Mount Guide

Unread post by Acherontia »

* Achievement Mounts: Part 2 Once all mounts are fully tamed & learned, you will get an achievement (Master of Mounts) which allows you to purchase the Level 3 Stables blueprint. It costs 1000 gold, plus an additional 500 gold and 1200 resources to upgrade the building--which takes an hour; and remember, your Garrison itself must be level 3 before you can buy/learn/build level 3 buildings. You can then begin on the next achievement, which awards the Armored Frostwolf:

Once your Stables are upgraded to level 3, you'll find that you can speak to your secondary Stable Master, who'll tell you a bit about how you can still help train mounts for the other members of your Garrison (this is just flavor text to explain why you can still borrow whistles, and doesn't actually award any mounts to your Garrison members). The NPC is Keegan Firebeard, for Alliance--not sure for Horde. He will also explain, however, that these beasts "tire more easily" than your well-trained mounts. This translates to each whistle having a total of three charges. Once those charges are used, you can simply come back and request another one; there's no timer on it. If you do the next achievement -perfectly,- you'll only need to return to your Garrison for one "refill" of whistles. If you mess any up, you may find yourself returning pretty frequently.

You can speak to your primary stable master, too, who will inform you that there's a Garn-Tooth Necklace that she's found, and that it makes your mounts very nervous. By "nervous" she means the 50% speed/damage taken debuff. You'll need to pick up the necklace, speak to your other stable master to pick up each of the six whistles individually, then head back out to Nagrand to kill the six mobs six times each once more. The achievement to track this time around is "The Stable Master." Remember the tips and tricks listed above--you can heal the pets, you can cast Time Warp or Bloodlust/Ancient Hysteria -before- mounting and engaging, etc. This one's a bit harder.

Some tips:
- You can cast while moving, never forget this.
- You can do this in a group. If you're having trouble just get a friend to come and DPS. You don't even need the tag on the mob for the achievement to count.
- Keep a wordpad file open to note down which mounts you've used to kill any given boss, and update it as you go. The achievement only tracks how MANY kills you've scored for each--1/6, 5/6, etc. It does NOT display -which- mounts you still need to use. Even if you use your whistles in order, if you fail one, you may lose track--and that'll cost you a lot of time.
- If you struggle, get the ones done that you can, then ask a friend to help you kill the mobs you're having trouble with.
- Some of the mounts are slower than others. The Snarler and Talbuk are fast; the Icehoof (Clefthoof) is agonizingly slow. These may be more difficult to finish, but they are doable.

The six mobs you'll need for the two achievements (that you'll need to kill with each mount) are as follows:

Ironbore - A worm which remains stationary, half-extended from the beach sand along the coast. You'll just need to DPS him down; as ranged, this is pretty easy, and a DPS race. If you go into melee range he has an ability called Seismic Slam that you'll probably want to get out of.
Gorian Beast-Lasher - As ranged, again, this is easy; this ogre can be easily kited on even the slowest of mounts. As melee, stay out of the directional AoE and avoid his rampaging strikes when he goes nuts.
Moth of Wrath - this is one of the harder-hitting ones. It can still be kited, but if you must melee, try to dispel his bloodlust, which he pops frequently.
Maimclaw - this wolf hits VERY hard. He's quite kitable, or you can stand inside of him, then walk through to the other side when he casts his conal AoE--do NOT get caught in this. He will also have a Pounce, which is a long-cast time leap onto ranged targets; as long as you're moving you shouldn't get caught in this, but if you do, your mount (not you) will immediately be stunned while the wolf casts his cone AoE again. If you do get caught by Pounce, try to stun or disorient Maimclaw long enough for the stun to wear off so you can ride through him as he casts, or away out of range. Maimclaw gave me the most trouble when it came to the slower mounts, so workarounds (cooldowns, or a friend) are highly advised.
Thundercall - Again, a pretty easy one; this lightning elemental takes some climbing to get to, but once you find him, just kite him around or move out of the tornadoes he puts down.
Karak the Great Hunter - This guy was the easiest of the lot by far; even with the Garn-Tooth Necklace his damage really isn't a threat at all. Just hit him until he dies.

All in all, you get a total of eight mounts from the Garrison stables in a matter of two weeks or so. Good luck, have fun and poke me if I missed anything!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

This is a great guide. Thank you :)

A few things I noticed while doing this:

I suspect the mount unlocking is level-related but I could be wrong. I got all of them over a couple of days. Despite the talbuk and pig being my first two captures, the riverbeast was the one that graduated first.

If you have friends you can impose upon, doing the Claws of Sethe achievement is way easier if you have help. You will still get kill credit (and achievement) if someone else has tagged the mob too, whether they're also doing the mount achievement or if they're unmounted. Sometimes while doing the regular daily training I've seen people trying to do the achievement. You can tell because the mount radiates this pained expression thing over its head. If I have time I usually take pity on them and hang back and help them do a few kills. It makes it so much less painful for them.

As a shammy, I found that my elemental totems wouldn't attack while I was mounted, BUT the mob would attack them! So my elemental distracted it for a bit and meant I didn't have to worry about mount damage so much. Maybe hunter pets have the same effect? I'm not sure. Either way it's safest to carry some emergency healing on you to heal up your mount mid-combat, as the mob will be attacking your mount, not you.

The clefthoof is SO fat and slow it's hard for it to get out of cleaves once you are carrying the claws as well. Really, it's painful :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Awesome guide! I got my frostboar the other day (dragged my boyfriend along to help me kill everything). It's pretty tiring doing all of those 6 times so I think I'll wait a bit until I feel motivated to do the second round. :lol:

As a hunter you sadly cannot have your pet out while mounted, though your mount does count as your pet so you can pop bestial wrath. Also things like stampede and dire beast won't seem to attack the target so it can be a pain causing damage. I've heard you can also use mend pet on your mount but I haven't tried it myself yet.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Great guide!! I did the frost boar the other day and was wondering about the wolf :) There was usually someone else around when I did mine so wasn't too much hasstle but I will bug my husband when I get the necklas for sure!

I love the stables so much! Its the best part of the garrison imo!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Snowbird
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill (Horde)Ravencrest (Ally)

Unread post by Snowbird »

Wow thanks alot!

Signature Made By Senenith

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I does seem unfairly biased against hunters. Our pets, especially for BM spec, are the larger part of our damage. To also deny us the use of Dire Beast is just adding insult to injury.

I've been doing this quest chain / achievement on a Hunter and the kills take forever if I'm alone. Yes, the heal pet ability does heal your mount. (I have heal pet as a button on my action bar, and it's become almost reflexive now to just cast it regularly... I'm finding in WoD I'm needing to heal my pet much more than in Pandaria).

This is a great guide, thank-you for it. I hadn't located all of the mobs required yet.

Oh, and I just tamed my wolf yesterday. I was STUPIDLY lucky with the wolf... I got him on my very first try, had no issues with jumping to platforms or otherwise. It made me wonder, do the wolves use the same path every time? Or is there a bit of variety in the exact path? I read about some people having a lot of trouble with the wolf jumping to an unreachable ledge.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

s1ncer1ty
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by s1ncer1ty »

I can confirm that if you use mend pet, your mount will heal up. Have not tried exhilaration, but may keep that on reserve for the Garn-Tooth Necklace part.

It is a bit of a pain for hunters, especially those that run BM... I swap over to SV with Lone Wolf specced whenever I do these quests. I wonder if warlocks also have a similar issue with their demons?
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

s1ncer1ty wrote:I swap over to SV with Lone Wolf specced whenever I do these quests. I wonder if warlocks also have a similar issue with their demons?

Thank-you for this suggestion! Silly me, I'd never have thought of using an off-spec.

I only have warlock alts, and from what little experience I have with the class, I'd say that their minions don't really play as major a part in the amount of damage they deal. I could be wrong, however, but it's my impression.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Yes same I use SV for those - BM seemed abit useless when you can't use your pet or dire beast even!

Such a noob - totally didn't know I could heal my mount lol!!

Shadowlands

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I captured all six in about 2 hours by exiting game after returning each one and then going back in and finding the next quest available. The wolf is the hardest but I did get him riding my Nagrand Talbuk. I had to kill some mobs in the path the Riverbeast takes so I would stop getting stunned or dismounted. The kill order for training is NOT always the same either. I had to kill the Ogre guy first on both the Talbuk and the Clefthoof.

So far, after 2 days of the training quests, I have killed all the mobs as BM without ever even moving or healing by using Arcane shot until focus is needed, then Cobra, back to Arcane, and finally Kill Shot. No kiting or avoiding anything has been necessary. The damage taken has been next to nothing. No more than a quarter of the Mount's health bar at any time.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Vephriel wrote:I've heard you can also use mend pet on your mount but I haven't tried it myself yet.
I can confirm this.

I play Lone Wolf, as painful as it is, and using a macro set as "/cast Mend Pet" does wonders since Mend Pet reverts to Revive Pet when you don't have a pet out.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

After learning my 2nd spec (survival) and going Lone Wolf, I spent a bit of time tonight getting 4 of the 6 mobs needed for the Advanced Husbandry achievement.

All I have left to do now are the Ironbore and Maimclaw.

"Step on no pets!"

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I got my first WoD mounts achievement today!
YAY!

And switching to Survival and using [Lone Wolf] REALLY made a huge difference!

An immense thank-you for the suggestion! I'd have lost patience if I'd continued doing what I was doing.

"Step on no pets!"

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I'm through the third day of training and still have done it all as BM with no problems. I can confirm that Mend Pet does work even though I really haven't needed it yet. If you have the crystal that boosts all stats by 200 for an hour, that works really good too. I don't know if I'm going to bother with the achievements at all and I'm not sure my Stable will ever be level 3 because of the resources cost. It's still at lvl 1 right now. I haven't fought Maimclaw , Garak, Ironbore or Thundercall yet.

One thing I think they should fix is that if you are on your mount and somebody else kills it on their mount, you get credit even if you haven't even hit the mob at all. That happened to me with Bulbapore. I wanted to do him by myself so I just watched someone else kill it. I got credit when it died. You should never get credit for something you haven't even taken part in.
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Danielfboone wrote:I haven't fought Maimclaw
This one is pretty much the worst of them all. He does hit like a truck, and has nasty attacks. He mostly behaves like the white tigers on Timeless Isle, so if you fought them before, you'll know the drill. Even with the healing tricks, if he manages to get too many stacks of his bleeding debuff on your mount, it will die and you'll have to start over. Also he's the last one you'll have to fight to get your actual mounts, so you won't be able to avoid him.
ImageImage
Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Grats Suku! Yes i swapped to MM as my second spec to try it out and omg its awesome!! I managed to do most as BM but so much easier with a non-pet reliant spec. Enjoy your piggy :D

Shinryu - I found the best way to do Maimclaw was to circle the tree and use it as a sheild almost. I was able to hit him through it and just kept moving around in a circle to avoid being hit. Using concusive shot to slow him down also helped I found :)

Shadowlands

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any evidence that the training mounts might scale with your ilevel?

I only ask because I did the Claws and the Necklace achievements a few days apart and I found that my mounts seemed to take far less damage in the latter. In between I had managed to gather quite a bit of new gear. Perhaps it was just chance, or perhaps it was just that I was more experienced, but it certainly felt like the mounts were tougher.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Castile wrote: I was able to hit him through it and just kept moving around in a circle to avoid being hit.
Yeah, constant circling was something I found worked well too. That was a technique I was extremely used to after the Timeless Isle and being on an Oceanic (=high latency at that time) server. The stuff there was not designed with any degree of latency in mind :P
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:
Danielfboone wrote:I haven't fought Maimclaw
This one is pretty much the worst of them all. He does hit like a truck, and has nasty attacks. He mostly behaves like the white tigers on Timeless Isle, so if you fought them before, you'll know the drill. Even with the healing tricks, if he manages to get too many stacks of his bleeding debuff on your mount, it will die and you'll have to start over. Also he's the last one you'll have to fight to get your actual mounts, so you won't be able to avoid him.
Easiest way to do Maimclaw is stay in melee so he won't jump on you. Wail on him, and when he's about to do his swipe, move behind him. Rinse and repeat. Easy peasy. :3

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine