Pretty sure they had Veph on their minds for this mount

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Pretty sure they had Veph on their minds for this mount

Unread post by Qinni »

Reins of the Corrupted Dreadwing: http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=123974/rein ... -dreadwing

From Glory of the Hellfire Raider achievement.

How do some of you feel that they reused a CE mount for a recolor? This is the first one to do this (correct if I'm wrong) but I kinda don't mind. Its looks pretty and some people may not like the color of the current dread raven. Just my two cents.

*edit: fixed title
Last edited by Qinni on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Re: Pretty sure Veph when making this mount

Unread post by Equeon »

I'm a little peeved that it's the same as the Collector's Edition mount. The "traditional" blue raven, with or without armor, would have been perfect for a reputation award from the Arakkoa Outcasts, but no... instead, have a random talbuk, of which there are none in the entire zone of Spires of Arak.

The unspoken reason for this is obviously that Blizzard deemed the Dread Raven most worthy of being the Collector's Edition mount, and so having any other ravens would "devalue" this special mount.

Now, a newer, "fancier", fel-charged version of the mount is a reward from the 6.2 meta achieve.

Was there ever another way to obtain a quilen mount in MoP? Nope, both the collector's edition mount and the equivalent meta reward remain unique.
When the collector's edition only offered pets, were there any other ways to obtain similar pets? Nope, and there still aren't.

On top of this, there are so many more possibilities for a cool fel-themed mount besides a raven. Ravagers are actually local to Tanaan Jungle, while bats and rylaks are used as mounts by the Iron Horde. If Blizzard doesn't want to encroach on store-bought mounts, then there could be a corrupted worm/giant worm, a corrupted hydra, or a repurposed Iron Reaver.
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Re: Pretty sure Veph when making this mount

Unread post by Qinni »

Equeon wrote:
I agree with your argument. Also I think it would have been a perfect for them to release that Lizard looking Rylak no? Referring to this: http://www.wow-petopia.com/images/skin_ ... ntdark.jpg

Or any local beast that lives in that raid. Its just my feelings are split on this...I like the mount but I don't like how they used the dread raven but on the other hand I can still get it. (just have to really work for it) Anther reason it feels like its devaluing the CE mount by a lookalike. Both are still special in their own way though.
Last edited by Qinni on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Pretty sure they had Veph on their minds for this mount

Unread post by Vephriel »

:lol: Ahahaha, yes I've been DROOLING over this since I saw the leaked images! <3 I don't care what kind of model it is, with those colours I have to have it. :D
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I'm not bothered since i won't see this until the content is trivial now i don't raid but I get your point Equeon. They have never done this sort of thing before with the collectors mount so it does seem alittle odd.

I really like the model and colour though - I hope theres a simiular one for rep or a dungeon drop (maybe just a different colour variant of the fel) as my warlock would love a fel birdie! And it would probably shut up the "no flying" cries as they must be looking to introduce it around that time if the reward flies - if you notice the first lot of raider/dungeon rewards are all ground mounts ;) Just my 2 cents.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Ah so that's what it's from. I thought maybe they were going to use it for the arena mount, since they've neglected to introduce one for the new season so far.

There actually isn't a lot of precedent in this, as MoP was the first expac to award a CE mount. There were other colours of it which remain unused but this is just one case.

Still, I would have preferred it as an arena mount ( which I will never own ) because if you're going to make an even fancier version of the CE mount then I think it should be for something very special. Raid achievements are not all that special, and are rendered trivial quickly enough.

On the other hand I'm excited because it does set a precedent. If they're now prepared to introduce recolours of CE mounts then maybe the other quilen will see the light of day. It'd be a shame if they remained buried. There's also no reason to hold back other colours of CE minipets like the nether whelps (there are loads of cool unused colours for these).

Personally I'd have preferred it if they just added the other colours to CE accounts. There's a potential benefit to Blizzard with this as 'sweetening the deal' this way could attract people to buy the MoP digital CE when they hadn't before.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.