Store vs In-Game Mount Quality Discussion

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Store vs In-Game Mount Quality Discussion

Unread post by Qraljar »

MODERATOR NOTE: this topic is for the discussion of the merits or failures in the quality of mounts that are available during game play when compared with those that are made available in the Store. Unfortunately the thread starts in a disconnected fashion because it was split from the Legion New Mounts thread, as it was no longer on-topic. That's not to say it's an unworthy discussion, but it does deserve a thread of its own. Please discuss away, but avoid speculation on the disposition of posters who disagree with you or I will have to delete posts. Words like cheap, entitled, lazy do not belong here. - Wain

Moose mount is a store mount.

.. We're off to a great start. :roll:
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: New mounts

Unread post by Lisaara »

Hey, it's so everyone has access to it. I'd want something better for a raid mount.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Junrei wrote:Hey, it's so everyone has access to it. I'd want something better for a raid mount.
I'd rather have it as a Highmountain rep mount where it belongs.

I really hope we don't get another Boar dilemma with Legion.

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I'm pretty happy the moose is a store mount. Keeps me from having to 'Refer-a-friend' myself to get it, and it's not locked behind some high end, 2% raid thing.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:MOOSE MOUNT CONFIRMED!!!

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

aannnd its a store mount. dammit.

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Why does everyone hate store mounts? I love the moose :D I'd happily spend $30 on this!!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Castile wrote:Why does everyone hate store mounts? I love the moose :D I'd happily spend $30 on this!!
Because of stuff like the Grinning Reaver, where store mounts have become mounts where it looks like they were ripped straight from the game to get an extra buck.

I am totally okay with the Runesaber. But not with the Grinning Reaver, for example. I find it unacceptable that grinding rep with the Laughing Skull, the guys that ride Grinning Reavers all around and have them as flight path beasts, earns you a random, 5th armored wolf reskin.

Worse yet, I find it shameful.

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

I don't 'know' why people hate store mounts. I have a few guesses.

1) People like to feel exclusive. And to have something that not everyone has. By selling them in the store they're open to 'everyone' who has a few bucks, so there are those that see it as 'lessoning' the exclusivity of it. "Well any dumb noob can have one so they don't mean anything"

I think this ignores some cool mounts. Purple Kitty is cool. So is Moose.

2) Some people don't like the idea of paying for content. ANY Content, be it optional or not. (And cosmetic mounts ARE optional). Some think it's "Pay to win" but again, the mount is optional. There's 100s that aren't so I don't see why the anger here either. If you paid and got a mount that was twice as fast as normal, then I could understand the complaint.

I'd TOTALLY buy one, lol but I could understand the bitch a bit more. As is. Meh. If you don't want to pay. Then don't. $25 for a mount isn't that big a deal. We're paying $15 a month as is. You get the mount 'forever'. It's up to you if you want to buy it.

In the end, I think it boils down to some people like to brag, and store mounts take away that ability for 'that' mount. It could be cool but if anyone can have one, you're not quite the special snowflake.

There's a 3rd option that kinda goes in with number 2.
3) Some people think all content in the game should be 'free' and you should be able to get it all in game. No matter what. That by paying their $15, that they're 'entitled' to everything in the game, and it offends them when something is not 'in the game' for them to get for 'free'. But it kinda circles back around to 2 above, but from a different angle.

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I love stuff like the Grinning Reaver. They put something 'expansion-esque' to entice people It's a great business move cause it works. It's not shady. It's legit and business smart.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Thing is I don't buy the "It's a money grab" Thing. If Wow wanted to make money grab, they WOULD do "pay to win" Content. I.E. Weapons, armor, etc, that you could pay and get some super awesome high level weapon for $15 or something. They're not. It's a cosmetic mount.

Lets not forget that even now at their 'lowest' in years, they're still raking in, what? $75,000,000 a month just from subscriptions? Not counting new game sales, or server transfers, or appearance change, etc.

They don't -need- money grabs. Much less the rather small one that cosmetic mounts would achieve.

Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Junrei wrote:I love stuff like the Grinning Reaver. They put something 'expansion-esque' to entice people It's a great business move cause it works. It's not shady. It's legit and business smart.
They already had the Iron Skyreaver.

Like I said: this moose looks like it should be a Highmountain rep reward like the Grinning Reaver should have been from the Laughing Skulls. (but instead, it was a random recoloured wolf)

I don't want Boarlords of YouWantSomethingOtherThanARecolouredBoarOrWolfScrewYouUseTheSHopnor again.

ehrinlove
Realm: nesingwary

Unread post by ehrinlove »

personally... I would rather have to buy the moose mount then not have the moose mount, I will ride majestically on my moose mount, with hopefully a pet moose at my side..being moosey I may even attempt to get a moose esc transmog just for the level of moose
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

As the others said, the only reason I dislike store mounts is that usually whenever an awesome model is placed in the store we're locked from ever getting recolors. Like the ravagers from WoD. We got it as a store mount, so they never gave us that awesome yellow color which would have been an amazing rep mount for the laughing skull.

Either way though MOOSE. I want it so bad...

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

There is also an option 4, which is the store mounts have no alternative in game. Wanna ride a Rylak? Store mount. What about a Kirin (Windsteed)? Store mount only, loser. What about a pegasus? Ha, store only! Flying bug? You better believe store only. Mecha horse? That's a store mount too!

Other than maybe Invincible, Sabers, and the Cloud Serpents, there are NO alternative skins for any of the store mounts. That's what bugs me most about them. If they had some kind of alternative, even if it wasn't as fancy, less armored or whatever, it wouldn't be as bad. All those other Kirin skins have gone to waste because they keep the damn store mounts stupidly exclusive.

Which probably means you can only get a moose mount in store and no where else.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Thanks that people here at least try to understand the complaints. Better than what I can say from some other places, where, when it is brought up, it's just "LOL STOP WHINING NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO BUY IT."

I know it's basically common decency, so it's not extraordinary, and shouldn't be treated as anything abnormal or especially gracious, but I'm still thankful that it actually happens here. Thanks for that. c:

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Why would they make a recolour you could get in game though - you'd just go get that for free and that isn't good buisness. You want people to buy your product so you make it unique - you can't hate them for being savy in that respect.

And the whole "its crap cause everyone has it" is abit redundant - I have invincible which is a pretty special mount but I see many others with it now. Infact I see more people riding rare mounts like that, flametalon etc than I see people on store mounts. I honestly like that people can buy cool cosmetic items if they wish, especially if they dont have time to farm reps or raids for other rare mounts.

People can hate on them but I have all the store mounts...0 regrets :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

That's why I said put the fancier ones in the store, but leave other, maybe less or no armored ones, available in game. Having to spend an additional $255 plus the monthly subscription for mounts you literally cannot get anywhere else is bad. Even most of the raid and pvp mounts have alternatives that aren't as fancy to help compensate. And for the many mount completionists in game, they'll still buy it.

The price is a bit of another issue as well. $25, at the time, was fine cause they were the only BoA mounts. Now that all mounts are, the price is stupid (and hell more expensive with the mecha horse cause they put some stupid gimmick with it).

This is the only game that gets away with having a sub and store like this. And when they put more work into the store than in game, it's gunna come back to bite them.
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

MaximumOverdrive wrote:
There is also an option 4, which is the store mounts have no alternative in game. Wanna ride a Rylak? Store mount.
Didn't we get one of these in the newest patch? I'm pretty sure I have one in the stable that I got for Pathfinder.
MaximumOverdrive wrote: What about a Kirin (Windsteed)? Store mount only, loser. What about a pegasus? Ha, store only!
If you mean the Star pony, we also have Invincible.
MaximumOverdrive wrote:
Flying bug? You better believe store only. Mecha horse? That's a store mount too!
There's a few that have single skins, sure, but 'You only get one' instead of 'Not at all' isn't an argument I can get behind.
MaximumOverdrive wrote: Other than maybe Invincible, Sabers, and the Cloud Serpents, there are NO alternative skins for any of the store mounts. That's what bugs me most about them. If they had some kind of alternative, even if it wasn't as fancy, less armored or whatever, it wouldn't be as bad. All those other Kirin skins have gone to waste because they keep the damn store mounts stupidly exclusive.

Which probably means you can only get a moose mount in store and no where else.
That doesn't stop them from using other skins though. The Hippogryph only had one skin for a long time. Then we got the corrupt version (If you could afford it. It's my default Mount most of the time) but it's rare, then we got the white one from the Argent trouniment, and then the flame one later from another patch.

For a long time the Zhevra was single use, till there came a white one with the tourniment.

*Shrugs*

"I want mounts in lots of colors" Isn't really a thing for me. Sure some I would like in other colors but it's not like it's required.

For me, I'm of the mind of 'I'd much much much rather have a Moose I can buy from the store, than one locked behind exclusive raid content that only 2% of players ever acheive." Or one that's "Spend $25 and get the mount, than spend 50 hours grinding to get the same thing eventually in game"

Now, I like rep and faction mounts too. I tend to pick them up, but not all mounts have to be that way and for fun ones like... The purple kitty, the moose, the Fae dragon, they're nice.

The Store mounts usually are a bit more spiffy than your average in game mount too. The Sparkle pony was the first of it's kind and for a long time was spiffy due to it's nature. the Fae dragon changes color, the heart of Aspects has the golden thing and unique model to it, the Mystic Rune saber is unique in a few ways from they glowy parts to model, the armored blood wing as well, the Windsteed.

The fact that they -are- exclusive and a bit special is 'why' people pay for them. They're not just 'This same mount found 20 times in the game but in pink this time instead of red, or white.

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

MaximumOverdrive wrote:That's why I said put the fancier ones in the store, but leave other, maybe less or no armored ones, available in game. Having to spend an additional $255 plus the monthly subscription for mounts you literally cannot get anywhere else is bad. Even most of the raid and pvp mounts have alternatives that aren't as fancy to help compensate. And for the many mount completionists in game, they'll still buy it.

The price is a bit of another issue as well. $25, at the time, was fine cause they were the only BoA mounts. Now that all mounts are, the price is stupid (and hell more expensive with the mecha horse cause they put some stupid gimmick with it).

This is the only game that gets away with having a sub and store like this. And when they put more work into the store than in game, it's gunna come back to bite them.
It's really not. Microtransactions are found all over the place in video games now. Be it 'skins' or what have you. Look at Star Trek Online. from ships to crew to frigging uniforms can all be bought in the store.

This seems to point back up to one of my proposed guesses. "Some people want everything free in the game"

You don't want to have to "pay" for the mount you want, You want it, or a version of it in the game for free.

Well... part of getting the snazzy cool mount from the store, seems to be that yes, they're not 'as often' duplicated in the game. I.E. you get a little bit of exclusitivity for having paid for the snazzy mount.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now my question is..... Will the Moose Fly? Will it sprout spectral wings of some nature and soar!?