Voidtalon of the Dark Star (help/advice please)

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Voidtalon of the Dark Star (help/advice please)

Unread post by Gimlion »

So I've recently decided that I desperately want to farm up mounts on my new main. I have a lot of simple mounts to get, since I'm new to horde. All the faction mounts, for example. I also have a lot of "gold sink" mounts to buy, like AH mounts, BMAH, etc. I seem to be spurred on due to the lack of progression content available to me, but that's another topic.

What I'm asking today is, what seems to be the best way to capture this gorgeous mount?

I immediately was fixed on it when I saw it in WC Mounts, and even spent my first half month of Legion getting flight in Draenor to help me.

And then I got to the looking part. It just seems so daunting. I've never enjoyed spawn flying for rares, but I also feel like I'm missing a huge amount of opportunity by sitting in one spot and not checking all the spots. That's alright for a small area like Sholazar (glares at Loque) but it's not ideal to fly around an entire continent.

Obviously, back in it's hay-day you could pop in and out of realms and essentially camp one spot a dozen times at once. With the "nerf" to realm-hopping, though, that's no longer an option.

If anyone has any insight into capturing the Voidtalon, I'd love to hear it!

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Re: Voidtalon of the Dark Star (help/advice please)

Unread post by Xota »

I don't know if this is the best way, but it's what I've done. I haven't gotten the voidtalon yet, but I haven't tried very much.

First, there's a snippet of code that will play an "alarm" sound file whenever you mouse over the portal. You can put it in the "onLoad" section of one of your addons. Next, get some tom-tom waypoints set up for an area you want to patrol. You won't cover the whole continent, just whatever you think you can patrol through without missing it spawn at another part of your patrol. I don't know if blizzard randomly picks a portal location out of all the possible portal location, or if it picks a random zone first, and then a portal location within that zone. I've assumed the first, and most of my patrol is through a bunch of spawnpoints close to each other in SMV. But to hedge my bets, I also check points in a few other zones. The ogre wayportals make that easier, as does aviana's feather.

If you have the option, use a server that has the fewest crossrealms for your zone(s). Crossrealms are by region, realm type, and I think also by datacenter. If you can't win pvp fights (or look intimidating enough that nobody jumps you), then stick to a pve realm or be very cautious about where you park.
WingedCaduceus
Realm: Borean Tundra

Unread post by WingedCaduceus »

This page has a pretty good lowdown on the mount. The crz section is a little outdated, but it's got the mouseover macro, tomtom waypoint locations, as well as advice on the best places to camp from for each zone. Plus it's got pictures and diagrams! Knowing exactly where the portal spawns is insanely helpful.

http://wowrarespawns.blogspot.com/2016/ ... ality.html
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Thanks folks.

I do have the tomtom coords saved to my account as macros.

Part of my issue seems to be my fear that by not scouring the whole continent, I'm going to miss it when it is up somewhere, and thus making my hunting less efficient than it could be. Long, multi-spawn rares are one of my absolute least favorite things about the game, stemming largely from the fact that LK was my previously most active expac, and that's all there was.

Perhaps I'll manage to get it one day, but the task certainly seems overwhelming and daunting. Especially since my RNG with mounts is 0.

Thanks again for the tips though, friends!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

The removal of realm hopping is definitely a downside for this camp, but an upside is being able to fly now! (if you've completed the achievement of course, but at least the option's there)

When I camped for my Voidtalon I ended up choosing the Frostfire Ridge locations since there are 3 very close to each other that were easy to keep an eye on. Though I did hop realms frequently, when the portal eventually spawned for me it was actually on my home realm so...you don't really need the realm hopping I guess. :lol:

You'll definitely need a lot of patience, but I think if you dedicate yourself to one spot it'll work out better in the long run. There's just too many variables if you want to try to take into account every spawn location, and it's too stressful. x_x I also highly recommend the mouse-over macro that plays a sound when your cursor is hovered over an active portal. It worked for me!
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

I actually spent my first 20 or so days of legion's release working towards flight in Draenor, with this mount specifically in mind. I think I'll stick to a particular zone and camp the portals. I see a lot of the mount out and about, and only saw 3 other campers among all the zones when I did a full-continent sweep, so I'm hoping with minimal competition it won't be too stressful, just long :lol: