How to get the Time-Lost Proto Drake (TLPD) mount.

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream

Re: How to get the Time-Lost Proto Drake (TLPD) mount.

Unread post by Merduin »

Added a section about Kill Etiquette and edited for grammar and color spam-iness.
Myraz
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Myraz »

I am very impressed with what you have written up, Merd. And for those that don't know, I am the Myraz that he mentions in the article above. He messaged me on Bnet this evening and asked me to come and take a look at his post on TLPD. It was almost two years ago that I got mine and if my memory is correct, Merd was actually there that same time camping another spot. Little did I know that he was in the process of writing a book, lol. I did know then that he was much into researching TLPD, along with another subject that I hope he also writes about later. Merd was my mentor in my camping days bot with TLPD and rare hunter pets.
Btw, I STILL have not gotten Aeonaxx but his time is getting very short. Merduin mentions that I had gotten my TLPD on my first day but it was actually about three weeks after I first starting hunting him. I remember Serenity getting hers and yes it was just three days after mine came. All three of us spent some grand times freezing our ying yangs off on that cold mountain for quite a while. All in all, I have to say that Merduin has done a fantastic job with this and I can verify the information he has put forth here. Following his advice, I have my very own TLPD which still gets stares and gets me wsp's on an almost daily basis.
And if any of you decide to go to Emerald Dream and go hunting, drop by Aeonaxx's place of hiding and give Raz a shout while you're in there. You may just find me there camping again. Very well done, Merduin and I want to see more stuff like this from you, buddy!
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

Myraz wrote:I am very impressed with what you have written up, Merd. And for those that don't know, I am the Myraz that he mentions in the article above. He messaged me on Bnet this evening and asked me to come and take a look at his post on TLPD. It was almost two years ago that I got mine and if my memory is correct, Merd was actually there that same time camping another spot. Little did I know that he was in the process of writing a book, lol. I did know then that he was much into researching TLPD, along with another subject that I hope he also writes about later. Merd was my mentor in my camping days bot with TLPD and rare hunter pets.

Btw, I STILL have not gotten Aeonaxx but his time is getting very short. Merduin mentions that I had gotten my TLPD on my first day but it was actually about three weeks after I first starting hunting him. I remember Serenity getting hers and yes it was just three days after mine came. All three of us spent some grand times freezing our ying yangs off on that cold mountain for quite a while. All in all, I have to say that Merduin has done a fantastic job with this and I can verify the information he has put forth here. Following his advice, I have my very own TLPD which still gets stares and gets me wsp's on an almost daily basis.
And if any of you decide to go to Emerald Dream and go hunting, drop by Aeonaxx's place of hiding and give Raz a shout while you're in there. You may just find me there camping again. Very well done, Merduin and I want to see more stuff like this from you, buddy!
Thanks, Myraz. Appreciate the feedback. My bad on your start date. I fixed that.

Yes, it was grand times. But I'm still shaking the icicles off my Dwarven backside from that camp. Brrrrrrrrr!

Good luck on the Aeonaxx. He's a camp and a half!

-Merd
Myraz

Unread post by Myraz »

One thing I was wondering and this has NOT been confirmed completely yet but I am working on it now is that since we can now create a trial account I took advantage of that and made a level 100 toon on other realms that I had no toons on at all. After getting past the starting quest, I found that I can go anywhere I want to in the game. I took one to Deepholm and then went to Stormpeaks with that trial. That tells me that we do not have to pay to switch a toon from one realm to another. Whether or not you may keep what you catch, such as the reins to TLPD is another factor which I am trying to figure out by trying to get the elusive Aeonaxx. Will update this if I ever get lucky enough to find out, lol.
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

Myraz wrote:One thing I was wondering and this has NOT been confirmed completely yet but I am working on it now is that since we can now create a trial account I took advantage of that and made a level 100 toon on other realms that I had no toons on at all. After getting past the starting quest, I found that I can go anywhere I want to in the game. I took one to Deepholm and then went to Stormpeaks with that trial. That tells me that we do not have to pay to switch a toon from one realm to another. Whether or not you may keep what you catch, such as the reins to TLPD is another factor which I am trying to figure out by trying to get the elusive Aeonaxx. Will update this if I ever get lucky enough to find out, lol.
A quick and easy test for the "account wide" aspect would be to catch a world drop pet and see if it's accessible on normal toons. Something like G'nathus. Once that's confirmed you may want to try an "easier" world drop mounts you don't have.

Maybe one of the Draenor ones like Pathfinder or Gorok (if you don't have those yet)?
Myraz

Unread post by Myraz »

Merduin wrote:
Myraz wrote:One thing I was wondering and this has NOT been confirmed completely yet but I am working on it now is that since we can now create a trial account I took advantage of that and made a level 100 toon on other realms that I had no toons on at all. After getting past the starting quest, I found that I can go anywhere I want to in the game. I took one to Deepholm and then went to Stormpeaks with that trial. That tells me that we do not have to pay to switch a toon from one realm to another. Whether or not you may keep what you catch, such as the reins to TLPD is another factor which I am trying to figure out by trying to get the elusive Aeonaxx. Will update this if I ever get lucky enough to find out, lol.
A quick and easy test for the "account wide" aspect would be to catch a world drop pet and see if it's accessible on normal toons. Something like G'nathus. Once that's confirmed you may want to try an "easier" world drop mounts you don't have.

Maybe one of the Draenor ones like Pathfinder or Gorok (if you don't have those yet)?

I did the so called "test" to check on what happens to account bound drops and they do count if gotten from a trial account. I went on a trial account and found G'nathus, killed it, looted it, and Spawn of G'nathus did drop. Added it to my collection, then checked a normal toon and there it was. There is hope yet for those that don't want to spend hard earned cash for a realm swap. Go make a trial account and happy hunting!
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

Myraz wrote:
Merduin wrote:

I did the so called "test" to check on what happens to account bound drops and they do count if gotten from a trial account. I went on a trial account and found G'nathus, killed it, looted it, and Spawn of G'nathus did drop. Added it to my collection, then checked a normal toon and there it was. There is hope yet for those that don't want to spend hard earned cash for a realm swap. Go make a trial account and happy hunting!
This will save time upfront but it will be important to note that aggroing by flying through the TLPD or Varygosa will be markedly harder. Not impossible but you'll need to fly right through the exact middle of their hitbox to make it work. It could take a few tries and seconds to accomplish. So be prepared for that.
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Just want to say thank you for the Gallywix tip making an alt there I have one who I parked in Deepholm and logged it today to a nice surprise.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

You guys have convinced me to casually try for TLPD. :) I made a trial hunter character on Gallywix and just for fun I flew through Sholazar and tamed Loque, King Krush, AND Aotona. :lol: They were all just sitting there! (EDIT: and Skoll)

So now I've got some camping buddies and I'm just going to park myself in Storm Peaks and see if I get lucky one day. :)
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

Vephriel wrote:You guys have convinced me to casually try for TLPD. :) I made a trial hunter character on Gallywix and just for fun I flew through Sholazar and tamed Loque, King Krush, AND Aotona. :lol: They were all just sitting there! (EDIT: and Skoll)

So now I've got some camping buddies and I'm just going to park myself in Storm Peaks and see if I get lucky one day. :)
Gratz on the buddies Vephriel. That reminds me of the time I first invited Myraz onto Emerald Dream. He grabbed Loque, Aotona and King Krush too.

Don't forget Gondria and Arcturis. They make good camping buddies too. Also, a friendly reminder, if your pet is out and you decide to camp a specific spawn ... be sure your pet is on passive. If they get the kill ... no mount. :(

Good luck on your TLPD hunt. Let me know if I can answer any questions!

-Merd
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

Iowawolf wrote:Just want to say thank you for the Gallywix tip making an alt there I have one who I parked in Deepholm and logged it today to a nice surprise.

Gratz! Phosphorescent stone drake FTW!. I bet Myraz is so jealous right now ... :-)
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Merduin wrote:Also, a friendly reminder, if your pet is out and you decide to camp a specific spawn ... be sure your pet is on passive. If they get the kill ... no mount. :(
As of Legion this is thankfully no longer the case! Maybe it has something to do with how many pets we utilize in our rotation now, but if an enemy is killed by our pets we can loot it like the old days! :)

Also, is it true the the level 100 trials have an 8 hour lock on them (as in, once you've played them for 8 hours game time you can no longer do anything until you purchase a boost)? I guess it was too good to be true that we could just make a free 100 character anywhere we wanted with no strings attached. :lol:
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Dang Veph, I must be very unlucky. Not a single Northrend rare was up. Well, except Vyragosa, which was NOT the droid I was looking for. :lol:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Myraz

Unread post by Myraz »

Merduin wrote:
Iowawolf wrote:Just want to say thank you for the Gallywix tip making an alt there I have one who I parked in Deepholm and logged it today to a nice surprise.

Gratz! Phosphorescent stone drake FTW!. I bet Myraz is so jealous right now ... :-)

I was taught that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything. So I will just keep my trap shut for now.

All kidding aside, GRATZ!!!
Kippax83

Unread post by Kippax83 »

Just wanted to say thanks for the guide. Just got my TLPD.

Only took a few days as well.
Jasanni
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Jasanni »

This guide is fantastic!! I had camped on and off since Wrath came out, but never had the tips or the sheer amount of information you've gathered to help me. I'm planning on starting a trial toon tonight and seeing what happens over the coming weekend.

I've heard several people on the secret finding Discord say that TLPD and Vyra are not working with the _NPCscan addon at the moment. Do you know if there is there any truth to this or how to work around it? I know for a fact it USED to work with them, because I remember using it for my past camping attempts and it definitely went off the multiple times I saw Vyra.

~ Avatar by Blencem, Signature by Ashaine ~

PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

This is giving me the itch to go look again. Once had my soul crushed when I was an ignorant young lad, I think it was around Cata or maybe just late Wrath or so. I'd been out there in Storm Peaks for several hours, longer than I'd care to remember, and starting to get really fed-up. I'd done long camps for pets and such before, but there's usually a little feedback there, someone who'd gotten it first or something, but here I never saw ANYTHING. No weird yellow time-dinosaur-dragon, no giant blue dragon.

I'd been doing TLPD on and off for small bits of time before deciding I'd sit down and give it a good ol' long camp and see if my luck changed. It didn't. I tried a few more times... still, nothing. Nobody saying they'd gotten it, even. One day, I was losing my mind, hovering around Storm Peaks. One of my very good friends noticed how irritable I was getting and suggested we do a single battleground to break the monotony. "Just one Warsong Gulch. It'll make you feel better and you can keep going." I agreed to it.

Battleground was alright, maybe not super fun but I appreciated giving myself a little break to do something else. Then I got back and as soon as the loading screen was over and I was hovering in Storm Peaks again my add-on goes off saying that the TLPD is up. I start panicking, I jam the button but it's not targeting it, my friend and I start flying all over looking for it, untillll... we find it dead on the side of a mountain, not too far off from where I usually hovered. An Alliance character (I play Horde) was near it too, and soon logged out and began whispering my friend to vent his frustrations

Sounds like he was even worse off than I was, telling my friend how he'd been out there for half the day and just got up to take out the trash before coming back to a corpse.

You're right, man. TLPD will kick your ass.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I've done my fair share of camping and hunting various things so I certainly know that feel, but wow reading just how involved this camp is makes me almost feel bad for how extremely lucky I was to snag it in 3.1 O.O
Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

i just got it literaly 10mins ago - my partner was in stormpeaks to do ulduar, jokingly said: if i find that proto-and it spawned nexto him, screamed get the hell over here! - i havent seen TLPD since wrath, the 1st time i killed him was a month after wrath and after killing it there were loads of alliance camping - they kept killing me because 1 of the horde players were with the alliance, since they saw i killed it i couldnt spawn quickly and loot it - just kept getting ganked till it despawned (did make a thread to blizz) they didnt give a rats ass..

we grouped up so i could get to him, once getting there i moonfired it, dead - looted and he was able to loot it aswell, and funny enough we both ended up getting the mount like its shared loot now? its been killed @ Sat 30th sept - 2:50pm server time Frostmourne for those who wanted to know XD
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

Kippax83 wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for the guide. Just got my TLPD.

Only took a few days as well.
Awesome! :D :headbang:

So happy for you! :hug:

I'm glad you found this guide helpful. Enjoy your new ride!
Last edited by Merduin on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.