How to get the Time-Lost Proto Drake (TLPD) mount.

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream

Re: How to get the Time-Lost Proto Drake (TLPD) mount.

Unread post by Merduin »

Jasanni wrote:I've heard several people on the secret finding Discord say that TLPD and Vyra are not working with the _NPCscan addon at the moment. Do you know if there is there any truth to this or how to work around it?
Hi Jasanni,

Good question. I'll add something about this to the original post but The short answer is, No. Do not rely on rare spotting add-ons like NPCscan or Silver Dragon to help you find the TLPD.

There is no work around. The vignette model for Rares in WoD changed how WoW interacted with the addons and to keep up with the times the addons changed the way they detected for rares. As such, support for older rares (not just TLPD, but rares in general) was no longer viable.

Those addons are valuable for new content and have minor utility for older content which I'll go back into the OP and provide some color for but you really should not rely on those addons to detect TLPD. You'll need your eyeballs to do the heavy lifting.
Last edited by Merduin on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

PrimalTazza wrote:This is giving me the itch to go look again.
It's hard to lose that itch.

You just gotta settle that issue in your mind first. You can do it. You have to tackle this with the mindset that you already own him (just not yet). Go get your heavy winter gear and head up there. He's waiting for you!
PrimalTazza wrote: ... my add-on goes off saying that the TLPD is up ...
I just responded to a comment about this. Those addons don't work on TLPD anymore (like they used to). So be prepared to camp in front of the monitor.
PrimalTazza wrote: ... TLPD will kick your ass.
I think it's high time you return the favor! Post a pic here when YOU win! :twisted: ;)
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

Quiv wrote:I've done my fair share of camping and hunting various things so I certainly know that feel, but wow reading just how involved this camp is makes me almost feel bad for how extremely lucky I was to snag it in 3.1 O.O
Key word in that sentence was "almost." Am I right? ;)

It's hard to feel bad when you're strolling around on your yellowy-gold-ish colored dragon mount ... thing! :lol:
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

Ziroth wrote:i just got it literaly 10mins ago
Wooohooo! Gratz! :hug: :headbang:
Ziroth wrote: we grouped up so i could get to him ... and he was able to loot it aswell, and funny enough we both ended up getting the mount like its shared loot now?
Yep Party Loot rules (not Raid) apply now. There's some technicalities like being in the same natural CRZ group but it's shared loot and all in party can get the mount.

If you decide to party up, here's some short thoughts to consider.
  • I wrote the original post so you can do it solo. You don't need to party up. Of course more eyes may help ... but if you do it wrong some folks may not get their loot. I'll go back and cover the gotchas in the OP.
  • If there are two people in the group, cover the Special spot and Brunnhildar Village. That way you'll cover 100% of the spawns.
  • If there are three people, cover Special Spot, Brunn and Ulduar spawns. That way you'll have 100% INSTANT coverage.
  • If four ... go to the four spawns and cover.
  • If five folks ... rotate people out so folks can take a mental break, bio break ... etc.
Good Luck!
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

I've added new content to the OP addressing the use of Rare Spawn Addons NPCScan and Silver Dragon for helping alert you to the advent of a TLPD spawn using an audible alert while AFK. In short, don't rely on them.

You can find the new text in the details of Step 2. Getting Geared Up.

Look for the :idea: icon or search for the text "special service announcement." It's where I will put new edits going forward for ease of use. That way you don't have to reread the whole post to find updates.

I'd love to see pictures of your toon on your new TLPD mounts when you get them.

Happy Hunting!

-Merduin
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

Big news! Check out the OP for details!!!
Arykei
Realm: Argent Dawn, The Sha'tar EU

Unread post by Arykei »

Just want to say thanks for writing this guide as now with less than a week of camping I have my TLPD!

I was using two alts to camp for TLPD on the same realm - one with the new Warmode On and the other Off as each one has a separate chance for rares to spawn.

Killed Vyragosa on my first alt (WM on), then switched to the other(WM off) and TLPD spawned not long after.
stytch
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by stytch »

I used your special spot method and it worked perfectly. I had been camping for almost 2 weeks. I was able to down a Vyra, wait some hours and got lucky there was a TLPD spawn that I could see right from the spot. I read your post several times over the course of the last week before I committed to trying it out. I was terrified I wouldn't be able to see from there. Thank you so much for putting this together.
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

Arykei wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:55 pm Just want to say thanks for writing this guide as now with less than a week of camping I have my TLPD!

I was using two alts to camp for TLPD on the same realm - one with the new Warmode On and the other Off as each one has a separate chance for rares to spawn.

Killed Vyragosa on my first alt (WM on), then switched to the other(WM off) and TLPD spawned not long after.
I'm so happy to hear you found this guide helpful. Less than a week is very quick. Good to know about WM. Enjoy your mount!
Merduin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Merduin »

stytch wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:53 am I used your special spot method and it worked perfectly. I had been camping for almost 2 weeks. I was able to down a Vyra, wait some hours and got lucky there was a TLPD spawn that I could see right from the spot. I read your post several times over the course of the last week before I committed to trying it out. I was terrified I wouldn't be able to see from there. Thank you so much for putting this together.
You're very welcome! It's not obvious you'll be able to see both Vyra and TLPD from up there, but you definitely can. They're HUGE.

I have dozens of pictures of both of them from that spot. I should just post them so folks can see what they look like. This has definitely encouraged me to do that.

Enjoy your mount!