A trick to finding the right colour battle pet...

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

A trick to finding the right colour battle pet...

Unread post by Wain »

This is a trick to keep in mind when trying to capture a particular colour variant of a battle pet that comes in multiple colours.

It's something I found by accident. I've let Noah know about this, but since it's not an exploit in the sense of getting something that should be unavailable, I wouldn't say it's a major issue...

A number of battle pets come in multiple colours. If you're after a rare in particular colour, and you happen to find a battle where one in the wrong colour shows up as a secondary opponent, then you can quit or disconnect from the game without leaving battle. This will reset the battle pet in the wild. The types and qualities of the secondaries that come with it are also preserved, so they'll show up again next time you battle the same pet. But the colour of the secondaries is not preserved. This means if you repeat enough times you'll eventually find the secondary shows up in the colour you're after. This only works for secondaries. Primaries don't seem to ever change.

The part where you can quit or DC from battle to reset a pet has been known for a while, and they don't seem too concerned about it. It's handy if you accidentally kill a pet you want to capture, or you forget to heal your pets before battle. Or you come across a rare you already have but decide to be really nice and leave it up for someone else.

The new part of this is just that repeating this will allow you to access different colours of secondaries.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Re: A trick to finding the right colour battle pet...

Unread post by Maizou »

The resetting the battle thing is intentional. They can't remove that feature without making people unable to be attacked while pet battling by other players, which they've made it quite clear they want.

That feature exists for if you get attacked while battling, when you kill the person or get back to your body, the pet is still there. :P

However, this is neat information. xD Just wish I knew about it before. :3
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Oh, I hadn't even thought about that! Good to know, now that they've stopped secondary tames from color changing.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Oh good. Need to go tame more beetles, now that they aren't color-changers anymore :)
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Myzou wrote:The resetting the battle thing is intentional. They can't remove that feature without making people unable to be attacked while pet battling by other players, which they've made it quite clear they want.
In 5.1, when you engage in a pet battle, you seem to phase out completely. I don't know if you phase out to Horde/Alliance, but you certainly phase out to any enemies, and to other players of your own side. So I am wondering: does this mean that you now *do* become unattackable? And if so, they may be trying to remove the 'alt-F4' method of keeping a pet around.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Aren't a number of them color changers anyway, tho? Or has that been fixed?

EDIT: Also, you are NOT unattackable. Try pet battling as a hunter with your hunter pet out. Or presumably as any pet class. The pet stays out of the phasing and gets attacked, which interrupts the battle, forcing you to kill the mob(s) or run around pet-less for if you want to pet battle without constantly getting interrupted.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Teigan wrote:Aren't a number of them color changers anyway, tho? Or has that been fixed?
That was fixed in 5.1. All secondaries are colour-stable now.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Wain wrote:
Teigan wrote:Aren't a number of them color changers anyway, tho? Or has that been fixed?
Are all primaries color-stable now too? (loop? what loop? didn't even know there was one to be out of! derp derp derp)
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Teigan wrote:
Wain wrote:
Are all primaries color-stable now too? (loop? what loop? didn't even know there was one to be out of! derp derp derp)
Primaries were never not color-stable. :)

Also, regarding the question of whether you can be attacked in a pet battle by players, in a normal pet battle, you and your pet can be attacked. In a master pet tamer battle, only your pet can be.
Last edited by Kalliope on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

In a normal pet battle, you cannot be attacked by mobs unless they engage you within 2-3 seconds of you engaging the pet. They CAN however, attack your pet, which will force you out of the battle. You can still be attacked by players though. (I know that you can't be attacked by mobs as I did all of the Townlong/Dread Wastes pets at level 85, many of them were in areas with 88-90 mobs)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Myzou wrote:In a normal pet battle, you cannot be attacked by mobs unless they engage you within 2-3 seconds of you engaging the pet. They CAN however, attack your pet, which will force you out of the battle. You can still be attacked by players though. (I know that you can't be attacked by mobs as I did all of the Townlong/Dread Wastes pets at level 85, many of them were in areas with 88-90 mobs)
Out of interest, do you know if this is the case when you start the battle after your pet has already been spawned a while?

I was wondering if it happened because I was starting battles while mounted, so the pet only spawns a couple of seconds later. I know that little delay causes it to miss out on camouflage, so I thought maybe the case was true for the pet battle passive effect too.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Just saw this on Warcraftpets - disconnecting to respawn battle pets has apparently been hotfixed.

I tested it a few minutes ago on a random wild critter and sure enough, the pet I was battling did not respawn once I disconnected myself.

I'm sad about this because it was a fantastic way to get secondary pets to swap skins until you got the color you wanted, for people who care about things like that. But now it's going to be doubly hard, having to find both the rarity and the skin you want. :(

Source: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... 59e01e436b
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Oh no! :( Well thanks for letting us know, though.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

peanutbuttercup wrote:Just saw this on Warcraftpets - disconnecting to respawn battle pets has apparently been hotfixed.

I tested it a few minutes ago on a random wild critter and sure enough, the pet I was battling did not respawn once I disconnected myself.

I'm sad about this because it was a fantastic way to get secondary pets to swap skins until you got the color you wanted, for people who care about things like that. But now it's going to be doubly hard, having to find both the rarity and the skin you want. :(

Source: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... 59e01e436b
Awe :( So much for cycling through rare pet spawns to look for a rare quality one and still leave lesser ones up for other people to enjoy

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

This may return in 5.2 in some form so it'll be interesting to see if secondaries also switch colours after you quit battle and cause a respawn. I guess we'll see soon.