Pet tamer battle strategizing thread

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Pet tamer battle strategizing thread

Unread post by Kalliope »

The easiest mechanical pets to obtain are the clockwork rocket bots, which can be purchased from vendors. Not a terrible skillset on them either. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Guess I'll have to go get one. x3

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

I quite like mechanical pets (actually I refused to level anything else until I got stuck against the annoying pet trainer guy in Icecrown, by the Argent Tournament area) so here's a few suggestions.

The Darkmoon Zeppelin that I already mentioned is very slow and steady... decoy lets it negate most direct, one-shot type hits, but it doesn't do much damage itself. Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling has a somewhat similar ability list. Then there's the high powered, beast slaying mechanicals, like the Tranquil Yeti Kalliope mentioned. Other similar high damage pets would be Mechanopeep and Mechanical Squirrel.

Three out of five of the above can be bought from engineers and the other two can be obtained for "free" by doing dailies. It really is worth obtaining at least one of these because they're specifically good against beasts and the higher powered ones can often take them down in two rounds.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Darkmoon Zep is gonna take a few months to acquire, since I dont think it's possible to get 90 tickets in one fair run.

I'm definitely weighing my options. The yeti might prove fun

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope

Oh yeah, the dragonling is extremely powerful too; forgot to mention it.

It's more than possible to get more than 90 tickets in a single faire run between dailies and the items that drop in instances that give you tickets. :)
Last edited by Kalliope on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

YouTube Edition

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Ah I forgot about those. The Dragonling is definitely one I'm eyeing.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

My Thundering Spirit battle team consists of a Scyther... I mean a Flayer Youngling, a Crimson Hatchling, and a Stone Armadillo. I tend to let the Flayer Youngling's beast abilities handle the slime, then deflect the very first move of the spirit, which will turn his stun back on himself and pull in the mouse. The mouse kills the flayer, the Hatchling kills the mouse, and the armadillo ends up going against the Earth spirit. As a critter, it's strong against his abilities, and with using one Powerball, he will go first every round, allowing his Thrash to do fairly good damage. From there, I just armor up, and thrash it into the ground. In the war of attrition, Armadillo will win 9 times out of 10. And whatever you do, be careful of a mechanical against the Beast. The charge does *huge* amounts of damage, and can win in a war of attrition.

For a powerful aquatic, I rather like using a rare Water Strider. As a matter of fact, he's one of my two core characters (along with my Little Rheastrazha, my Crimson Whelpling). Either good healing or Rainy Weather (whichever you prefer), Pump (which does mass damage to many things), and Water Spout isn't bad as a basic attack. I find Soothe to be basically useless, but Pump is so powerful that it's nice to not have to choose between two good abilities!

For Mechanicals, I second the choice of a Mechanical Gnome. It was my first big mechanical, and I still have a soft spot for it. I tend to use Landro's L'il XT (whom I've named Trainwrecker) whenever a mechanical is needed, though; you may want to troll your auction house. They're expensive, but I've found it's worth it. between the clockwork bomb, tantrum, and a good old-fashioned electrical 'Zap', and even a Thrash in case you want to trade out abilities for an anti-beast, they're really hard-hitters.

Someone asked about the Mechanical Toad abilities. Frogs in general have a pretty good ability set (not *superior*, but solid). Adding in a high power heal on top of all of that (even if you have to wait two turns before it takes effect) is a good boost. If you need aquatic moves, but don't want to have to deal with aquatic body type, I would be willing to have one around.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Kalliope

Kurasu wrote:And whatever you do, be careful of a mechanical against the Beast. The charge does *huge* amounts of damage, and can win in a war of attrition.
This is VERY true, since the mouse's third move is an elemental attack, one which does massive damage to mechanicals. But due to the mech self-res and the fact that the mouse damages itself when it uses this move as well, I still tend to win with my yeti, though he doesn't always survive the battle...but in that case, I have other pets alive, so I still win.

YouTube Edition

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

That's why I go with 'very careful' as opposed to 'It's impossible'. I was getting wrecked by it, which is why I switched to the dragon. Using a second critter there might work well, too, though I haven't tried that yet!
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

I've started to notice some pets have a much stronger defensive against, other pets. They may not hit very hard, but sometimes I've had them last all 3 pets.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Kurasu wrote:My Thundering Spirit battle team consists of a Scyther... I mean a Flayer Youngling, a Crimson Hatchling, and a Stone Armadillo. I tend to let the Flayer Youngling's beast abilities handle the slime, then deflect the very first move of the spirit, which will turn his stun back on himself and pull in the mouse.
This is also how I handle the slime, and how I "get rid" of the mini thunder spirit whenever it tries to put it on the field. If the fight starts with the slime, I use the flayer's rampage which can often kill it in three turns. If it starts with the mini spirit however, I use reflect right away, and then rampage after that - the reflect will make him switch to the slime.
Kurasu wrote:And whatever you do, be careful of a mechanical against the Beast. The charge does *huge* amounts of damage, and can win in a war of attrition.
This is why in this fight I particularly favor a mechanical with the decoy ability, such as the Darkmoon Zeppelin and Mechanical Dragonling. Yes they will have to take one stone rush every "cycle." But the decoy eats up one as well. It pretty much guarantees you will survive to complete a second cycle of attacks and even if the second cycle's stone rush kills it, it will still come back with a bit of health.

Quite often everything else on my side dies by the end of the fight and I'm left with the zeppelin holding down the fort while my third pet's geyser goes off to kill the mini spirit (I use Water Waveling against mini spirit; the waveling usually dies but I just need 1 pet still alive to allow geyser to go off).
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

Oh also, I'm not even done with Northrend yet, but considering how useful it was for me with Bloodknight Antari, a snail pet might be really good for the Thundering Spirit? Critters take less damage from elemental pets, break out of stuns, and a snail has "Dive" for that extra zing. Though it's one of those higher miss-rate abilities... with Shell Shield and Absorb you have insurance (Or swap Shell Shield for Acidic Goo to be extra offensive).

My Rapana Whelk makes it so I can bring a pet to level on my daily Bloodknight Antari because it handily defeats Jadefire and lasts a very long time against the mana wyrm pet he has (finish it off with Clockwork Gnome, then switch in lowbie pet while nether whelp does its dodge/defense setup, and then switch Clockwork Gnome back in to Blitz it to pieces) .
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

For the thundering pandaren spirit I use my Golden Serpent Dragon, Rattlesnake, and Eternal strider all at 25. I start with my snake since he's very fast. I flee until I get the spirit against me first. I put my snake agaisnt him and use the tunnel move where he goes underground this avoids the stun and slams the spirit. Then I remove the snake and use the eternal strider to cast rain to heal everyone and boost his attacks. Then he bubbles which shields him and on second use of that ability he will one shot the spirit. Then I just clean up the ooze oil slick pet with my snake and let my dragon destroy the mole. :D
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

I did it! I beat Okrut!

I had tamed a Restless Shadeling (uncommon though) and was going to level it, but I passed by while working on Safari achievements just now and threw my team of tiny critters at him just to see.

I did not bother trying to get Drogar the protodrake first, I let him send out the frost whelp (Sleet?). I had my Masked Tanuki Pup soak his elemental hits, Powerball + Tongue Lash. Frost Breath must be a dragonkin move though I guess?
Drogar was second, and I got a Counterstrike on him with the Tanuki Pup before he used his Fly attack + Sleet's leftover Ice Tomb hit and defeated my pup. I then sent out my Rapana Whelk.

My whelk used a combo of Acidic Goo and Absorb to finish off Drogar. He sent out the plagued whelp last (Rot). My snail lasted almost that entire pet, too, but died as Rot did. Rot ressed, and I sent out my Emerald Turtle! ... Who just stood there and laughed for the turn, I guess. Ha! I figured I'd nee dthe turtle a lot more than I ended up having to. Gosh, I really love my Rapana Whelk. Gloooorp!

No having to rely on misses, criticals or throw things BECAUSE of misses or criticals. That's how I like it! Straightforward BATTLING.

Time for Major Payne... *fear*
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

Major Payne is well-named, but after some (read: a *HELL* of a lot of) finegling, I've got a team that can beat him 9 times out of 10: L'il XT, Phoenix Hatchling, and Water Strider. I wait for the bear to be first (although I can handle it other ways), let XT drop a bomb, and zap the bear. It will do Rampage and then Hibernate, and you'll kill it while it's sleeping. Generally he'll bring out the Mechanostrider, which XT can get a couple hits on, but will kill him. The Phoenix immolates and then double-hits the strider, usually taking it out within a turn, and then can move on to the elemental. If the elemental kills the phoenix, the strider can take over and finish the job.
AdamSavage

This combo worked for me, I did a couple tricks to make sure I would win. First trick is making sure he brings out the pet you want first. You may also have to change which one of your pets goes first as well. You will have to click on forfeit a few time to get the right pet lined up. Typically when you do that, it lines up the rest of his pets in the correct order. If you have to swap a pet, this counts as a round. You don't want to loose a round. Another trick, if you use your hardest hitting attack and they dodge it. Then you hit forfeit again as you have pretty much lost the fight already, as you cannot afford for any attacks to miss. You will also need to know where the nearest stable master is, and or have some pet bandages on you.

As for Aki the Chosen, she was little tricky at first. However, once I learned the combo that was good against her, she was easy. Below is a screenshot showing the combo, and abilities I used. Kun lai Runt just rips apart the critters with ease. He lasted into the next pet and stayed up long enough to eat Call Lighting, and take a couple pot shots at Stormlash before getting killed.This helped bring down his health some for my Fossilized Hatching, and helped him stay alive long enough to take some pot shots at Whiskers. Then my forest moth took over and killed Whiskers with 82% of it's health left.

I can post the pet battle combat logs if anyone would like to see them.

EDIT: The order in which you use your pets, can make or break the battle. This is very important! You want to try and have the first two pets alive going up against the next pet. The attacks may be weak, but every attack takes off little bit of HP from the pets. This will give you some breathing room, but not much.

Example: Whispering Pandaren Spirit battle. (I have yet to do, I'm just planning my team right now) I'm going to want him to use Dusty, and I will use my Kun-Lai Runt against him, my first attack I will use will be Rampage. Extremely powerful attack. If it goes right, he should still have about 1,000 hp going up the 2nd pet.

So far my planning is as follows:

Thundering Pandaren Spirit:

1. Zooey Snake
2. Lil XT or Kun-Lai Runt
3. Marsh Fiddler or Dancing Water Skimmer

Burning Pandaren Spirit

1. Rapana Whelk
2. Soul of Aspects or Onyxian Welp
3. Oily Slimeling or Soul of Aspects or Onyxian Welpling

Flowing Pandaren Spirit

1. Oily Slimeling
2. Forest Moth
3. Kun-Lai Runt or Darkmoon Monkey (Iffy about the Monkey)

Whispering Pandaren Spirit

1. Soul of Aspects or Onyxian Welpling
2. Fossilized Hatchling
3. Kun-Lai Runt or possibly either of my two Dragonkins
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Vasken
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Vasken »

For the Thundering Spirit, I use a crocolisk and a Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (that's been upgraded to a rare). Don't usually need the third pet if decoy's timed well! The dragonling's a fantastic pet, but for mechanical damage, I'd recommend the Darkmoon Zeppelin; the dragonling's 'main' attack is elemental/dragon- not mechanical.

The crocolisk often annihilates the thundering earth spirit with a Bleed/Blood in the Water/Surge combo (as with all the other spirits!), and if you're lucky with the stuns, can often handle the second pet too- though this hasn't happened much! Then I just swap to the dragonling, make careful use of decoy and try to place a bomb just before the slime dies so it'll instead hit the rat. If lucky, the dragonling's capable of finishing the fight!

Floof the Sambas!

Vasken - Troll Hunter - Argent Dawn EU

DeviantART || Skreel's Dragon Lair

AdamSavage

This is the line up I found worked the best against Thundering Pandaren Spirit. I managed to time everything just right that I was able to use 2 dive cooldowns on my first pet. My 2nd pet barely stayed alive long enough to last till 3 pet. He was able to tick off some HP. However, I severely underestimated how strong my Monkey was against the critter. He wasn't taking heavy hits and I was able to use my rocket on him 2x after messing up the first time. I didn't time it right, and had it go off when he did his burrow attack, and this caused me to miss. He wasn't hitting me very hard to I was able to use it again. I think if I realized how strong he hit I would used my Attack boost before using it, so it would hit harder. I don't know how I'm going to do the other 3.. Any suggestions based on my current Battle pet collection would be helpful.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... -collected

Dr. Who Video!

Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Kurasu wrote:Major Payne is well-named, but after some (read: a *HELL* of a lot of) finegling, I've got a team that can beat him 9 times out of 10: L'il XT, Phoenix Hatchling, and Water Strider. I wait for the bear to be first (although I can handle it other ways), let XT drop a bomb, and zap the bear. It will do Rampage and then Hibernate, and you'll kill it while it's sleeping. Generally he'll bring out the Mechanostrider, which XT can get a couple hits on, but will kill him. The Phoenix immolates and then double-hits the strider, usually taking it out within a turn, and then can move on to the elemental. If the elemental kills the phoenix, the strider can take over and finish the job.
I was able to swap the Clockwork Gnome for XT and the Fel Flame for the Phoenix Hatchling, and had my Rapana Whelk in reserve for the lasher too... the swaps were only because I didn't have XT and Phoenix leveled yet, but their subs have similar enough movesets. First the whelk wasn't necessary at all, because it was a complete two-shot, but I'm pretty sure Battle Butler lasted longer because the bear missed his first rampage and didn't even get to hibernate. So then on the rematch, the snail was used for about 2 turns at the end.
Good tips there! :D I was going to use a water strider, just make a 23 caught one into a 25, but I figured I'd try the snail first.

I'm 5 points away from my Jade Tentacle...! I wonder if I should battle the Cata tamers or just try to get my Irradiated Roach otmorrow and finish up EK Safari...
AdamSavage

Update: I managed to bring down Whispering Pandaren Spirit. The order of it's pet where: Whispertail, Dusty, and Pandaren Air Spirit. Below is the line up I used. I didn't bother to rez the pet's, as I wanted to show how much HP my last pet had left. Looks I guessed the line up pretty good on this round. Will try to finish the other two later today or tomorrow. Will post my results of course.

Dr. Who Video!