Pet Trading: level restrictions?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Pet Trading: level restrictions?

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Does anyone know how the level restrictions work on trading battle pets?
I tried to give a friend a level 10 pet (their highest pet at the time was level 5), and they couldn't uncage it at all. They kept getting a message that the pet was too high level to be uncaged.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Pet Trading: level restrictions?

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

You have to have at least one pet at the level of the caged pet to be able to uncage it.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

argh, dammit.
oh well, there goes powerleveling for an alt account.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Speed level one pet to 10 on your other account (which presumably already has higher pets?) and send it your alt account. Then you can cage the one you want. With 25s it'd probably only take 10 mins to get another pet to 10 :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Wain wrote:Speed level one pet to 10 on your other account (which presumably already has higher pets?) and send it your alt account. Then you can cage the one you want. With 25s it'd probably only take 10 mins to get another pet to 10 :)
Depends how bold you are. Sometimes you can get away with a lvl 2 on a battle pet tamer. Ding the pet to lvl 8 right way. Then polish off the rest in Hyjal or somewhere high 20's.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Wain wrote:Speed level one pet to 10 on your other account (which presumably already has higher pets?) and send it your alt account. Then you can cage the one you want. With 25s it'd probably only take 10 mins to get another pet to 10 :)
this means, of course, that I can only "powerlevel" any pets to whatever the highest level is on that 2nd account.

it would have been nice to actually be able to simply max-level a battle pet and give it to my other account.

"Step on no pets!"

AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Sukurachi wrote:this means, of course, that I can only "powerlevel" any pets to whatever the highest level is on that 2nd account.

it would have been nice to actually be able to simply max-level a battle pet and give it to my other account.
If it's tradeable you could, if it's on the same server.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

AdamSavage wrote:
Sukurachi wrote:this means, of course, that I can only "powerlevel" any pets to whatever the highest level is on that 2nd account.

If it's tradeable you could, if it's on the same server.
no, it would seem that to uncage a pet of any given level, you must already HAVE a pet at that level or higher.
for example, if my highest level pet is level 10, and a friend gives me a caged level 25, I will not be able to open it until I myself have a level 25 pet in my stable.

this was the initial problem... I tried to give a caged (tradeable) pet to a friend in my guild. The pet I was giving him was level 10. His highest level pet at that time was level 5. He could not uncage the pet I gave him. The message was that he was not high enough level to uncage that pet.

"Step on no pets!"

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

My guess is the restriction is in place to keep people new to pet battling from simply buying an entire lvl 25 team, bypassing the entire leveling/taming process.

But I admit I forgot about the level restriction too... I caged up a team of 25s for a friend's account in order to double my chances at a Darkmoon Eye. Whoops!
Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: US - Skywall/Cenarius Alliance - Nesingwary Horde

Unread post by Seilahyn »

I had no idea about the level restrictions. A new friend to the game was turned off to pet battle when he hit the teens with his pets and it started becoming a little rough to level them. I have extra Feline Familiar, which I used to level up the rest of my pets and they work really well, so I offered to power level one of the extras up for him. I got it to 24 so he could ding it to 25 himself and traded it to him. Unfortunately he couldn't uncage it because his highest level is somewhere in the teens completely nulling the point of giving it to him.

I can understand why it's there, but it does suck a bit if you want to help a friend out like I tried. =(
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Please ignore my previous post here. I completely misread the situation. I need more sleep :)

(I had read your problem as being you couldn't cage your level 10 pet because it was your highest pet and you only had one level 10. Crazy, I know ;) )
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Wain wrote:Please ignore my previous post here. I completely misread the situation. I need more sleep :)

(I had read your problem as being you couldn't cage your level 10 pet because it was your highest pet and you only had one level 10. Crazy, I know ;) )

ahhhhhhh!!! hehehe, that explains the confusion.

sleep well Wain (you need your rest, it's good for you)

"Step on no pets!"

Katzbalger
Realm: Arthas

Unread post by Katzbalger »

There are a couple ways to get some higher level pets fairly fast, especially if you have help. Outside Karazhan is the key to it. Both Arcane Eyes and Restless Shadelings spawn there, lvl 17-19 but the key thing is, they spawn SOLO, so you're fighting them 3v1. This makes it possible to catch them even with lvl 5 pets and of course, once you get 1 you can use that to help catch more (remember you can only have 3 of the same pet). So, a bit of time spent outside kara and you can get yourself 2-3 magic and undead pets between 16 and 18. Next step is to use those to catch even higher pets! Take the eyes to catch some higher lvl flyers, dragonbone hatchlings in Dragonblight are touted as best bet, and the restless shadelings, although you'll want an eye in too in case of a critter back-up pet, to catch flayer younglings in hellfire. Flayers are AWESOME, with the racial for self-heals, beast-type attacks, deflection to dodge big hits and reduced damage from critters. Get yourself a couple flayers and take them out to catch critters. By now you should have at least a lvl 20 of something, if so now's the time to get help if you can, or in your specific case Sukurachi to help yourself ;p Just level an anubisath idol, zandalari raptor or other strong beast with devour and perhaps a couple more depending what you have to 20ish and you're pretty much set, with those pets being particularly strong you can use them to catch higher lvl pets fairly easily, find yourself a lvl 25 critter or something, capture that, it'll drop to 23.

This is a little complex perhaps but it's a fairly easy and quick way to get there, I guided a friend through it a week ago, he now has a few 25's and thanks to the warcraftpets tamer dailies beginners guide I told him to read, he can do almost all the dailies with his anubisath idol and emerald whelpling plus a lowbie pet for xp.