A fair question to all Hunters/Huntresses

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: A fair question to all Hunters/Huntresses

Unread post by Kalliope »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:Personally, I like the instant cast multi-shot so much better than volley. I'm not a huge fan of the targeted AoE abilities because they're kind of a pain, and maintaining a channel when you need to move sucks. Multi-shot as our AoE seems so much more fitting, and we can use it on the move; that's a huge plus in my opinion.
^
This.

Besides, we're essentially ranged rogues and their AoE works basically the same way.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

The big problem with Volley in my mind was that the Wrath content had so much use for it. I'm quite happy to leave the massive AoEing to the spell casters, the way it used to be. To me the hunter has always been the "ranged rogue". I'm looking forward to once again being able to be the swiss army knife of utility in the group. Traps, Scatter Shot, Distracting Shot, Intimidate, Concussion Shot, Wingclip, Disengage, Deterrence and Misdirection will once again all have easy-to-reach bindings!

Very happy with the change to focus too, even if it's been a bit bumpy to relearn the class.
Gungnir
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Crushridge

Unread post by Gungnir »

I don't know where people are getting so much mis-information regarding worm burrow attack. It does not stun, it does not aggro wipe either. Do some testing and see for yourself.

Send worm into a pack of mobs, burrow attack, you will see mobs stop moving, but if you notice, your pet is still taking damage. The mobs are still hitting him even though they are not moving. If you multishot during this, generally you will not pull aggro because the worm is doing more dps than multi at this point.

Burrow attack is not a stun nor is it an aggro wipe. That is all :P
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Gungnir wrote:I don't know where people are getting so much mis-information regarding worm burrow attack. It does not stun, it does not aggro wipe either. Do some testing and see for yourself.

Send worm into a pack of mobs, burrow attack, you will see mobs stop moving, but if you notice, your pet is still taking damage. The mobs are still hitting him even though they are not moving. If you multishot during this, generally you will not pull aggro because the worm is doing more dps than multi at this point.

Thank you. :) I didn't think it aggro wiped either, not to mention, it's something MD can't solve. The only times I've pulled aggro from my worm in an AoE pull is if my multi-shot accidentally hits extra mobs that weren't intended, and if I'm not careful about attacking his target.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Gungnir wrote:I don't know where people are getting so much mis-information regarding worm burrow attack. It does not stun, it does not aggro wipe either. Do some testing and see for yourself.

Thank you. :) I didn't think it aggro wiped either, not to mention, it's something MD can't solve. The only times I've pulled aggro from my worm in an AoE pull is if my multi-shot accidentally hits extra mobs that weren't intended, and if I'm not careful about attacking his target.
I actually thought it was true and I just wasn't noticing because I MD + MS when I use Burrow... :oops: Thanks for clearing it up.

On the other hand, I'm fairly certain I read posts on here where others also pointed out that Burrow doesn't stun. The discussion went along the lines that the stun (I forget the wording) that was initially on the tooltip referred to the worm, since it can't attack/move while it's channeling it.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Gungnir wrote:I don't know where people are getting so much mis-information regarding worm burrow attack.
Partly from the "auras" listed for the effect on Wowhead here. Note how the second effect says "Apply aura: Stun"?
Gungnir wrote:It does not stun
It does stun. The worm. While it is burrowing, it cannot do anything else. It does however NOT stun any of its targets.
Gungnir wrote: it does not aggro wipe either. Do some testing and see for yourself.
I was under the impression the aggro-wipe is something has just been introduced in the beta, as reported over on Warcraft Hunters Union. Note that according to that report, the stun effect on the worm is also being removed.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Thanks for clearing that up Anyia. =D

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Gungnir
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Crushridge

Unread post by Gungnir »

Ah ok well I haven't been checking on the worm in beta the past few days. I use it extensively on live though and thats what I was basing it on. Thanks for the info Anyia
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I'm not complaining tbh. I think hunters are well-balanced, but compared to some of the OP damage from other classes right now it can seem weak.

Regarding Volley, the only issue I have is not being able to better search for stealthies in PvP. I do like the new Multishot.

Regarding Focus, the only issue I have is not getting Aspect of the Fox sooner. Otherwise, I quite like the system.

However, I am BM, and have heard that Survival and MM have it far worse when it comes to Focus, which may be why I'm not having many issues with the hunter class right now.

Actually, I'm really enjoying it :) I only wish they hadn't nerfed BW for PvP...
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Acherontia wrote:Regarding Volley, the only issue I have is not being able to better search for stealthies in PvP. I do like the new Multishot.
What I actually like is being able to have track hidden up ALL THE TIME without losing other trackings. It's a passive boost to stealthy detection, which is on par with volley. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Vorel wrote:Why all people crying about loss of mana and ability to shoot while we move
Vorel wrote:Why people moan nowadays,when we can be most effectively be part of a raid as we can support/bring the buffs a raid might be missing in exchange of a small loss of damage?
Vorel wrote:why people ... make QQ threads and try to convince people that are neutral/happy with changes,that our class is ruined?
Vorel wrote:I am not willing to start a fight over who is right or not here
Sigh.

Why do people sling mud and then back off and claim "I wasn't looking for a fight??" O.o

When you start a thread, set the tone you'd like people to use.

But, rather than take the bait, I'm just going to give my own thoughts on 4.0.

One the whole, I like it. I like being able to go where I want and do what I want without worrying about the loss of ammo, and I like having my focus come back up (on its own) between fights. And, while it was nice to have (improved) volley, I don't really miss it, as it felt like a mage spell. And I like that BM now feels more "clicky", like the other specs.

Still working on getting my marks DPS back up to where it was before. It was down to about 50% of 3.3 levels, and is now, after much research and reforging, up to about 70-80%. Despite same ilvl, it feels like now my MM hunter has to work twice as hard as my fury warrior and still can't seem to compete with her DPS, but I'm hopeful that this is just a matter of me still being on the 4.0 learning curve with MM spec.
Last edited by Worba on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Worba wrote:it feels like now my MM hunter has to work twice as hard as my fury warrior and still can't seem to compete with her DPS
I agree with that Worba, I do have to work harder for my dps on my hunter than I do on, say, my boomkin (whose rotation really hasn't changed except to add Starsurge into it).

While I like having a more complex rotation, it feels very unforgiving. Not being on the ball to pop KC or FF and my dps drops drastically. Being late in tossing a SS to regain focus and my dps drops drastically. Forget to reapply Moonfire on my boomkin? Oh it's ok, I'll just do it now, my dps is still going swimmingly well. Though I also think I forget Moonfire less because the boomkin "rotation" is 3 dots and Wrath/Starfire spam with Starsurge when it's off cooldown. I have much more to manage as a hunter.

I love the complexity of managing more abilities + the pet, but fights like HH (who I've been doing every day on all my 80s) are brutal because you have to switch target and miss Killing Streak procs or clip your SS cast. Grr. I was cursing through the entire Anub fight in AN last night... >_<

That being said, I really, really, really love these changes! :lol: I really do find it's my most fun 80 at the moment, closely followed by my disc priest. Oh, and my level 40something holy pally, getting Holy Power for her free heals from Crusader Strike! That one's great too, I love being a meleeing healer! :lol: ... Seems I like the more changed specs/classes most, eh?

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Sarayana wrote:
Worba wrote:it feels like now my MM hunter has to work twice as hard as my fury warrior and still can't seem to compete with her DPS
I agree with that Worba, I do have to work harder for my dps on my hunter than I do on, say, my boomkin (whose rotation really hasn't changed except to add Starsurge into it).

While I like having a more complex rotation, it feels very unforgiving. Not being on the ball to pop KC or FF and my dps drops drastically. Being late in tossing a SS to regain focus and my dps drops drastically. Forget to reapply Moonfire on my boomkin? Oh it's ok, I'll just do it now, my dps is still going swimmingly well. Though I also think I forget Moonfire less because the boomkin "rotation" is 3 dots and Wrath/Starfire spam with Starsurge when it's off cooldown. I have much more to manage as a hunter.

I love the complexity of managing more abilities + the pet, but fights like HH (who I've been doing every day on all my 80s) are brutal because you have to switch target and miss Killing Streak procs or clip your SS cast. Grr. I was cursing through the entire Anub fight in AN last night... >_<

That being said, I really, really, really love these changes! :lol: I really do find it's my most fun 80 at the moment, closely followed by my disc priest. Oh, and my level 40something holy pally, getting Holy Power for her free heals from Crusader Strike! That one's great too, I love being a meleeing healer! :lol: ... Seems I like the more changed specs/classes most, eh?
/highfive holy pallies - I'd stopped playing mine at 48, due to boring clunky heals and horrible mana inefficient dps (ok I know it's not a DPS spec but it should still be able to chug along at a consistent if inferior level without going oom in 5 seconds?); heals are now much more intelligently designed and DPS, for all the fact that serious healers will laugh at me for saying so, is now workable. Inferior, as resto dps should be, but at least steady. :D
Antares
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Antares »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:I personally love our new changes. ^_^

The only spec I have issues with in pvp is BM, and that's more due to problems on my end not playing it right than the changes themselves. I was doing just fine with SV pvp. I do look forward to Aspect of the Fox to make pvp a little bit more forgiving.
Vephriel wrote:I'm a big fan of the new changes, I think Focus is wonderful and I'm so glad we finally got rid of the awkward Mania resource. Never quite clicked with hunters for me.

Overall the biggest hurdle is just adjusting to a different play-style, but I find myself very comfortable with it. ^^ :)
What they said! Love the changes. Biggest hurdle? Adjusting to Focus. Getting there, though. Glad I'm leveling two hunters - It helps me to re-learn the class.

Huntmaster Blightrunner, <Neverender> Thorium Brotherhood -- lvl 110 Forsaken SV Hunter

Stridah
Realm: Aerie Peak - US

Unread post by Stridah »

When it comes to the volley change i took some time and thought about the ability. It really was a strange ability. It was a channeled AoE that caused arrows to fall from the sky (even while using a gun) and dealt arcane damage. It's the sort of AoE arcane mages dream of really. Just like arcane shot it tried to mesh the mana resource with a physical class, (i think arcane shot needs a name change, but thats personal preference) but it not really plausible, based on the Hunter class in WoW. Volley is the in game application of the strategy by which a number of archers would fire a large volley of arrows simultaneously at a large group of enemies, usually with alternating groups. Even if a person was firing multiple arrows at once it's not really possible, unless you use magic, but hunters are not a magical class.

tl;dr Volley didn't make sense anyway
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Kalliope, I'd TOTALLY forgotten to mention the tracking changes!! I LOVE being able to track humanoids, hidden and beasts for PvP :D
Jadesong
Realm: Windrunner

Unread post by Jadesong »

Anyia wrote:
Gungnir wrote: it does not aggro wipe either. Do some testing and see for yourself.
I was under the impression the aggro-wipe is something has just been introduced in the beta, as reported over on Warcraft Hunters Union. Note that according to that report, the stun effect on the worm is also being removed.
So, we do have that issue.

I think there are a few here who are jumping on points that others are raising which they missed or we have live/ptr/beta inconsistency, and getting much too like EJ.

So, assuming the worm change goes live, we are lacking an AOE for soloing/questing, at least for BM. (Multi is fine for MM with the right talents, and it's ok for SV).
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

Unread post by pengupuff »

I only miss volley because it was very useful in bringing rogues/kitties out of stealth in pvp. Otherwise, Multi-shot is very fun in PvE, especially in the spider gauntlet before Sindragosa. ;]

Changes are always daunting, and it seems that the hunter class was one of the classes that underwent the most reshaping. However, I think everything will work itself out once the level cap is raised to 85. Cobra shot and Aspect of the Fox will smooth out most of the issues that people are currently experiencing. I have nothing but high hopes for Cata. :D

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!

Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Mustafah »

I honestly didn't got reattached to my Hunter yet after the patch, went to play my warrior though.

Lots of thanks for TygerDarkstorm for the awesome sig!! =D

Mustafah wrote:Playable Pandaren with racial camel mount!!!
Jadesong
Realm: Windrunner

Unread post by Jadesong »

Mustafah wrote:I honestly didn't got reattached to my Hunter yet after the patch, went to play my warrior though.
Hunter is the only one I'm still attached to. If it wasn't for professions, I'd delete my pally and DK.