Old School Rares and their Special Abilities

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Old School Rares and their Special Abilities

Unread post by evil950510 »

I am very new to Wow, but I heard that each rare back in the day had their won unique ability, which they kept even after taming. Like Lupos had dark resistance or Mazzranache being slower than other tallstriders.
Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: Old School Rares and their Special Abilities

Unread post by Comett »

Yes and no. I think it was more like, pets in general weren't standardised, so they were all in some way different/unique, whether that was run speed, attack speed or resistance. ^_^ (Including common pets.)

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Lupos had shadow damage.
AV Frostwolves were super fast, and could catch epic mounts.
Takk was pretty fast too.
Mazz was slow, and so were Snow Leopards.
Broken Tooth had a 1.0 attack speed.
Deathmaw had a 1.2 attack speed, fastest you could get without picking up a cat.

Those are all I remember off the top of my head, I know many cats had a predilection for fast attack speed, but Broken Tooth was king of those.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

These arent attack abilities but they are still totally epic:

Prarie Stalkers (or were they the alphas?) and for Horde side, Spot barked.
Deathmaw currently barks, did he bark pre-cata? I never quested in Burning Steppes to see him.

Thats all i can remember that hasnt been said already....

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Ziarre wrote:Lupos had shadow damage.
AV Frostwolves were super fast, and could catch epic mounts.
Takk was pretty fast too.
Mazz was slow, and so were Snow Leopards.
Broken Tooth had a 1.0 attack speed.
Deathmaw had a 1.2 attack speed, fastest you could get without picking up a cat.

Those are all I remember off the top of my head, I know many cats had a predilection for fast attack speed, but Broken Tooth was king of those.
Some other old school unique pets with odd abilities-

-Snarler has 100 of each resistance. I believe the fire rocs in Tanaris has 100 fire resist as well.
-Other fast pets were Longtooth Runners and King Bangalash. AV Frostwolf was still the fastest.
-Durotar Tigers were also very slow runners with Mazz and Snow Leopards.
-Along with Brokentooth, ZG bats also had 1.0 attack speed and where preferred over "that damn cat" because of their large size for PvP.
-Other faster attack pets include The Rake (1.2), Ornery Plainstrider (1.3), Death Flayer (1.6), and Galak Packhound(1.5 I think...). Many more than what I listed these are the ones I remember off of the top of my head.
-A few pets had slower than 2.0 attack speed (the norm for pets at the time). These where Ursius, Black Bear (the one tameable at the Ironforge Airport), and one other pet I cannot remember right now.
-Gretheer, a rare spider in Silithus, used to have the model and skin of a tallstrider, which was awesome.
-Most pets with mana bars in the wild had "caster stats" and where weaker than most other pets. Wind serpents, dragonhawks, and a few named spiders where infamous for this.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

LOL omg Greether used to look like a tallstrider!?!?!?! What color??

Oh yeah i forgot about the 'caster' stat pets... i always hated wind serpents back then but i couldnt remember why lol

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Xakaal wrote:LOL omg Greether used to look like a tallstrider!?!?!?! What color??
I think he was the grey skin. I never saw him in the wild. One of those pets that I camped forever but then they "fixed" him so I lost interest.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Hahaaaa that is so epic xD I say thats the best accident blizz has made yet. Caused no harm but made a lotta luls.

Edit: I still cant get over how hilarious the name Slapperfish and that avatar is. It makes me smile every time XD

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

The only reason I had a Wind Serpent, back when SP was needed to get good dps out of them, was because of Arikara. He had the coolest pet entrance EVER! He would appear in a puff of smoke with a cool sound to go with it. It was awesome and made dismounting fun. Sadly though they took it out when they equalized all of the pets :cry: :mrgreen:

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

I remember Azzre the Skyblade and Arikara having the *poof* (damn lol i always remember these things as clear as day AFTER someone mentions it). I tamed Azzre a while before Cata only to see the *poof* was gone :( saddened me greatly... im still not one for wind serpents

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

I think only Arikara would be summoned in a poof of smoke, not Azzre. Gezzarak also had a lightning bolt animation when summoned too.

Silithid Protector, a now retired crab pet, used to do an emote when summoned that was removed rather quickly once that was discovered.

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Azzre had the *poof* action but it was removed i believe same time as Arikaras was

Awe thats sad for the silithid, i wonder why they were so keen to rid the pet of its emote

Edit: Maybe it was Washte Pawne im thinking of. Both he and Arikara have the same model.. I cant find the comment anymore on WoWhead that i learned it from.. :(

Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Gilneas-US

Unread post by Nightsights »

i had The Rake, Takk the Leaper and Humar the Pridelord, all three had super fast pursuit speed (could chase down lvl 60 mounts) and fast attack speed.
Jin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar EU

Unread post by Jin »

Mist Howler too had 1.3 attack speed. I remember I very long camp to get him for pvp since I really didn't klick with that cat...
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Unread post by Agravaine »

Sian-Rotam had 2.0 attack speed, Ursius had 2.4 attack speed and the Young Forest Bears from Elwynn had 2.5 attack speed. Some hunters preferred them because the slow attack speed translated to huge opening crits.

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Agravaine wrote:Sian-Rotam had 2.0 attack speed, Ursius had 2.4 attack speed and the Young Forest Bears from Elwynn had 2.5 attack speed. Some hunters preferred them because the slow attack speed translated to huge opening crits.
Thank you. Young Forest Bear was the slow attack speed pet I was forgetting of the three that had slower than 2.0 attack speed.

Here are old screenshots of the Black Bear and her 2.5 attack speed. She was pretty unknown since she was in a game area we players shouldn't have been in at the time. <.<

Zheria

Unread post by Zheria »

LOL. I looked at your picture and realized that I had completely forgotten about loyalty XD XD. Geez, that was was a long time ago.

Zebragirl's Favorites

Frosty, Spot, Moonglace, Silvertongue, Aegeus