Arrakkoa is based off ancient Indian civilization

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Arrakkoa is based off ancient Indian civilization

Unread post by pop »

If this race become playable, I totally want to play as a Indian bird man.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: Arrakkoa is based of ancient Indian civilization

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

I was guessing from the weapon designs they were very gypsy "Romani" inspired, but then the Romani are from India originally, so that’s both right :)

Image Image

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It is very cool. I wonder if Arakkoa believe in reincarnation? ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Is there a link to this?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm not sure of any explicit link, but the latest dataminined data from MMO-C has stuff like:

Spires of Arak Boss Names
Ranjit, Master of the Four Winds - The Arakkoa's penultimate Chakradhaari, Ranjit has mastered the secret techniques required to create gale force winds with his chakra.
Araknath - A construct of ancient Arakkoan civilization powered by the light of the sun.
Rukhsha
High Justicar Vidiya

(All Hindi-inspired names)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Hmmm okay. Sorry I'm just extremely weary when I see people say things are based off things with out giving any proof to back it up thats all >.< and so a title like that gets my alarm bells ringing XD So I had to ask, you know to be sure!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah understandable :) That bit is all I've seen so far, but it seems to mean at least part of their culture is inspired by Indian cultures. It may not be the only one, though. I mean we have trolls that have both Caribbean and central American native influences. Bit of a mix there :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

They do indeed sound like Indian names! But you are right they could be a whole mix of things!
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Warcraft does like to keep things spicy, The Night Elves are Japanese’s infused Celt architects
The architecture of the night elves, according to an interview with Chris Metzen, draws its influences from both Nordic and Japanese building style. This is most obviously apparent in the night elf city of Darnassus, which includes several tower buildings in the style of the Pagoda at Yakushi-ji (薬師寺).
and we also have the Draenei, Indian dancing, Russian sounding sexy Blue Space goats, etc, etc, etc. :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

SpiritBinder wrote:Warcraft does like to keep things spicy, The Night Elves are Japanese’s infused Celt architects
The architecture of the night elves, according to an interview with Chris Metzen, draws its influences from both Nordic and Japanese building style. This is most obviously apparent in the night elf city of Darnassus, which includes several tower buildings in the style of the Pagoda at Yakushi-ji (薬師寺).
I did wonder if it implies something about the early period of Night Elves. Maybe they had contact with the Pandaren and Mogu way back in their history. Even if it's Japanese- rather than Chinese-inspired, a lot of the architectural style of those cultures shares a common origin.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Also, moved this to the correct forum. No idea why it was posted to the Pet one :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Wain wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:Warcraft does like to keep things spicy, The Night Elves are Japanese’s infused Celt architects
I did wonder if it implies something about the early period of Night Elves. Maybe they had contact with the Pandaren and Mogu way back in their history. Even if it's Japanese- rather than Chinese-inspired, a lot of the architectural style of those cultures shares a common origin.
And uh the um er Orcs are demon infused warhammer orcs? >.> okay I've got nothing >.< Well they are smarter then their warhammer cousins I guess? Less fighty at least!

Well I totally failed at this :lol:
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Arrakkoa is based off ancient Indian civilization

Unread post by pop »

And then we have Mongolian Centaurs, Victorian Worgen, Chinese Pandarenand Native American Tauren.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

Wain wrote:
Nah.. the Japanese influence comes from the other hidden continent on the other side of Pandaria, which will be revealed in 2017 with the next expac... /ducks.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Slickrock wrote:Nah.. the Japanese influence comes from the other hidden continent on the other side of Pandaria, which will be revealed in 2017 with the next expac... /ducks.
I hope it's populated by Tanuki people :)
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

When I was writing up stuff for Quilboars as a playable race, I had Australian Aborigine cultures in mind.

For a race of playable feline people called the Kattani I had a cross blend of Arabian/Egyptian and Myan/Aztec cultures. Then Blizzard did Tolvir :( Not sure what I'll do with them.

For playable Kobolds and Sporelings I didn't really have anything in mind as far as culture basing, just using what was in game as a base already.

I did a race of African type humans heavily based on Zulu culture, I guess technically they would be a subrace, but I think done right they'd easily stand apart. They had the uninspiring race name of the Zuluan.

I did a non playable race of dog folks called the Codarr who were on the verge of extinction, with Welsh/Celtic in mind.

Another race had Russian like qualities, mostly because I really wanted to do a Baba Yaga as their big bad nemesis, then Blizzard did Draeni. Haven't decided If I'll keep em an change their base culture influence or scrap em for a whole new direction. THey were a toss up between being called the Vexan, or the Aexdairai.

Hm, what else did I do... *shrug* meh there was probably something else no doubt.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Lycanthrope
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune, Cenarion Circle, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lycanthrope »

Do want.

I want an Arakkoa Hunter with a pet Dread Raven. *dreams*

But seriously, do want!

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/ ... bruker.jpg

((Not my art.))
chrth

Unread post by chrth »

Wain wrote: I did wonder if it implies something about the early period of Night Elves. Maybe they had contact with the Pandaren and Mogu way back in their history. Even if it's Japanese- rather than Chinese-inspired, a lot of the architectural style of those cultures shares a common origin.
They did have contact:

Before the night elves were addicted to arcane magic and summoned the Burning Legion to Azeroth, the pandaren were a close ally to the night elves. Some of them even lived with the night elves and witnessed the power of the Well of Eternity. Yet after the night elves became obsessed with the well, the pandaren decided to sever their ties and enclose their border in Pandaria.

Before they left, the pandaren decided to offer the highborne a gift, a chest of pandaren design, said to contain all the arcane magic they would ever need. The gift was accepted and taken down into a royal vault in the Temple of Zin-Malor in Eldarath. However when the chest was opened, it was found to contain absolutely nothing. The pandarens' gift was actually a message of advice and wisdom to the highborne: all the arcane magic they needed was nothing, or in other words, that they did not need it at all. The chest and the message it represented continued to exist in the vault even 10,000 years later, but as history would record, the pandarens' wisdom fell on deaf ears.

This is from "Pearl of Pandaria", the Li Li Stormstout graphic novel

EDIT: That said, because the Pandarens weren't fully developed at the time, I doubt any sense of influencing architecture was on the artists' minds.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

That's interesting. Thanks for that :)

You're right. In development terms, the Night Elf styles were developed long before they came up with Pandaren, so the style similarity is almost certainly accidental. But in game terms, it could easily be made suggest a common origin now. The Night Elves seem to have multiple, seemingly unrelated styles. Their stone towers and temples seem to come from a completely different inspiration to their wooden buildings. It could easily be decided that the oriental style was adopted from their Pandaren allies, and especially come back into favour when Night Elves were turning back towards nature and away from the Highborn.

Anyway, just idle speculation and way off topic now. Sorry, couldn't help myself :)