Aquatic pets. Why is this a problem?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Aquatic pets. Why is this a problem?

Unread post by Qraljar »

I actually thought about it, but wouldn't it be cool if they fixed some issues with aquatic animals not being good candidates for taming by mixing them with other land-bound animals, or by just giving them designs fit for land. I mean.. it's World of Warcraft, a fantasy game.

Who is to tell us that we can't get a Pliosaur/Plesiosaur with limbs meant for land.

Who is to tell us that we can't get a bipedal shark, a la Knifehead from the Pacific Rim movie?

It's a fantasy game with various creatures that may be based on, but not directly taken from real life. Think six-legged crocodiles. I wonder why I ever thought this kind of thing was an issue. They could just design aquatic animals with land attributes.

In fact, a special exotic family like Spirit Beasts, but then for aquatic animals/sea monsters could be a really nice addition.

This was just something that entered my head all of the sudden.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Rower
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: Aquatic pets. Why is this a problem?

Unread post by Rower »

I would tame those big beasts that you find underwater in Blackfathom Deeps or near the Theramore Docks.
I don't remember how they are called, they remind me of the Loch Ness monster. They're so cute :3
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

I want a Whale Shark... but I don't need it to have legs. Just let it flop around like the Brawler's boss Razorgrin. :D I would so use it during raids so we'd have a giant, flopping Whale Shark taking up half the room!

(Obviously I'm being silly, but I realllly do want a Whale Shark in some form in the game. I would love to have it as a multi-seater aquatic mount, for example.)
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I would absolutely love a Thresher, they've been one of my favourite WoW creatures since Vanilla, and I'm actually sad we don't see them anymore. An updated model for them (and an animation to walk on land) would be fantastic. :)
Rower
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Rower »

Thresher! I totally forgot their name. Yeah they are really cute :3
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I'd like to see something like what they do in guild wars, for aquatic creatures...A separate stable, that appears only when swimming, and has only aquatic tames.
I love my shark pet ^^

There are so many cool aquatic animals in wow, it would be awesome to be able to use them. Just look in Vashj'ir the remora, turtles, sharks, rays, fish, then there are things like threshers, eels, the sea monster things, there are quite a few models available for aquatic creatures.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Many aquatic creature minipets are already enclosed in mostly-transparent bubbles or not at all, so I don't see a problem, gameplay or lore-wise, with allowing aquatic beasts to be tamed. I also think Qraljar's idea for future aquatic pets to be amphibious (or tri-phibious <3) allows this conflict to be avoided in later expansions and works out very nicely.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

mmmm giant axolotl
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Kayb wrote:mmmm giant axolotl
:o
that's not very nice!
who are you calling a "giant axolotl"?

although my ex was a bit of an axolotl.....

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Airsblue
Realm: Grizzly Hills

Unread post by Airsblue »

I love the idea of having Aquatic/Amphibious pets. With Zangarmarsh coming as the body of water it was pre-explosion, it'd be pretty awesome to have Amphibious fungal pets, like a beast from aquatic stage of the Sporebat's evolutionary path.
Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

land sharks! rofl
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I want a giant pufferfish or a killer koi. :3
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Tamer Feign
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Tamer Feign »

I want to tame the Whale Shark. It'd be funny as sin if people got the achievement if they took out my pet in PVP.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Airsblue wrote:I love the idea of having Aquatic/Amphibious pets. With Zangarmarsh coming as the body of water it was pre-explosion, it'd be pretty awesome to have Amphibious fungal pets, like a beast from aquatic stage of the Sporebat's evolutionary path.

Actually Blizzard has done some rest on there. Zangarmarsh existed as a marsh before Draenor broke apart, as evident in old maps from the original Warcraft games. We never went there, but it certainly wasn't called the Zangar Sea back then, it was labelled a marsh.

That doesn't really effect anything now mind you, I just wanted to share that tidbit is all :)
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I want a Northrend sealion, but when it gets on land, it should flop around at RP walk speed until it gets into blinkstrike range.
Karin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bad Ash Realms

Unread post by Karin »

I would love to tame one of those orcas. I was a huge fan of them since childhood due to Free Willy.

Or, they should make more penguins that are suitable for taming. They're not necessarily aquatic but they do swim in water.

Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

Oh man. Aquatic pets would leave me in one heck of a bind... >.> Which one to tame first? Would love a thresher, considering I've wanted one ever since I landed in Darkshore all those years ago, and ran along the beach killing crabs and murlocs to level Tor. I actually tried to tame one back then, since I didn't know all of the rules of taming. It made me sad when I couldn't. :/

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Torachi wrote:Would love a thresher, considering I've wanted one ever since I landed in Darkshore all those years ago, and ran along the beach killing crabs and murlocs to level Tor. I actually tried to tame one back then, since I didn't know all of the rules of taming. It made me sad when I couldn't. :/
I did the exact same thing back on my first character, a little night elf. Was so disappointed. :( I'm sad we haven't seen Threshers in a while, for new expansions.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

You know what -I- want. A kraken. Hell yeah I want me a giant armored helldeathfish and no mistake!

and you couldn't stop me from naming it "Sin" either.

...you know, I never really realized how close these things look to each other until now. Darn you Blizzard.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

Vephriel wrote:
Torachi wrote:Would love a thresher, considering I've wanted one ever since I landed in Darkshore all those years ago, and ran along the beach killing crabs and murlocs to level Tor. I actually tried to tame one back then, since I didn't know all of the rules of taming. It made me sad when I couldn't. :/
I did the exact same thing back on my first character, a little night elf. Was so disappointed. :( I'm sad we haven't seen Threshers in a while, for new expansions.
I know. So many creatures have gotten such amazing overhauls, but the poor threshers were just forgotten. -.- The thing is, even if they didn't get an updated model, if they ever were made tameable, Tor's butt would be hauling it over to Darkshore to tame one immediately. I know exactly the one she'd be going after, too. I still remember where that bugger is. XD

Aside from the threshers, I'd love to see the sea lions, orcas, rays, puffers and... well, okay, you know what? I would have no qualms about any of the aquatic creatures becoming tameable. Even if they'd have to be in magic bubbles like their "vanity" siblings. That'd just be cute. [imagines a larger, fatter puffer fish floating along happily next to it's hunter friend, and dies from cuteness overload]

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)