Camp for rare if there is a common model?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Camp for rare if there is a common model?

Unread post by Redith »

This has been a question I have been curious about for a while. When there is a common model of a pet , like the white pandaran tigers will be, do you still camp the rare mob?
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Re: Camp for rare if there is a common model?

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Nope. I care only about the skin not if it's rare or not.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

That is really up to the individual, I think. I personally prefer rare or at least named mobs, regardless of how common the skin is. So given my choice between sitting 8 hours for a rare with a common skin, or just taming the most readily available, like a sucker, I'll sit for the rare.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I tend to camp for the rare mob unless I'm not in the mood to do so.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

If there is a common model, then for me, it's not worth getting the rare (or even difficult tame) to show off. Especially for camping something that's just a rare spawn, there's no great achievement in sitting around instead of going to a different zone. For a challenging tame, if I'm bored, then I might go try to do it for fun (I've done Ban'thalos more than once).
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Sometimes I have an attachment to a particular named rare, so in those cases I do like waiting for them rather than grabbing a common mob of the same skin. An example for me is the crocolisk Goretooth in Nagrand, I was always really fond of him so instead of grabbing any ordinary croc I specifically camped for him because he was special to me as an individual. Even though it makes no difference whatsoever after taming, I think some people might just have certain preferences depending on the beast.
Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: US - Skywall/Cenarius Alliance - Nesingwary Horde

Unread post by Seilahyn »

I always, ALWAYS, get the rare if there is a rare available of that skin I want. If there isn't I'm a bit let down. To me, camping for that rare is like picking the "right" one. You don't just go to a pet store and pick an animal for it's color, you sit there and watch them, get a feel for them.. find the one that clicks with you. That's what going for the rare feels like to me, finding the right companion. Yeah, camping against others for a certain rare does suck, but to me it's worth it in the end.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I camp the rare but thats my personal preference. I have a greater sense of accomplishment from camping or working for the rare pet rather than a common skin. Not that anyone could tell but me but thats all that matters is what I feel :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

I don't camp anymore. I gave up on that when MoP came out I dislike the tracks + huge pathing zone. It's so easy to lose the tracks with all the ground clutter in some zones or just taking your eye off the ball for a second. I think to improve it the mob should be tracked though "Track Hidden" ability that we have with the prints being only a give away that the beast is up and not the soul ability at finding it.
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

I'd say it depends upon the rare. If there's something special about it, like the Firelands challenge tames, I'll probably go for the rare just to see if I'm 'good enough' to make that tame. Otherwise, I'll likely go for the non-rare if it's just a particular skin I'm after.

I do feel a bit of pride in knowing that I tamed some rares before their skins became available elsewhere. That doesn't make me look down upon hunters who tamed the more common version.
Bikutandabis
Realm: Nazgrel, (US), Lightbringer (EU)

Unread post by Bikutandabis »

I go for the rare on most occasions, and rename the pet with a name close to the rare's name. Gives me a closer tie to the pet. Weird huh!
Bikutanda aka Birdienumnum, Bikutandabis
US Nazgrel
EU Lightbringer
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Boven wrote:I'd say it depends upon the rare. If there's something special about it, like the Firelands challenge tames, I'll probably go for the rare just to see if I'm 'good enough' to make that tame. Otherwise, I'll likely go for the non-rare if it's just a particular skin I'm after.

I do feel a bit of pride in knowing that I tamed some rares before their skins became available elsewhere. That doesn't make me look down upon hunters who tamed the more common version.
Basically what Boven said.

I generally will go for the common model, to give the common ones some love. Plus, I generally feel like a common model will stay in my stable longer. Most SB's I've tamed have been shown back into the wild.
Huntress Linthirri
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Huntress Linthirri »

Sometimes. If I am after a specific model of a pet, I check to see if it has a rare, if it does, I'll camp the rare just to have it.
Vorhees

Unread post by Vorhees »

I personally don't.
I'll take wichever is the most convenient.
For example Hibernus the sleeper is a level 7 rare spawn, but the common bears that share the skin are level 70+ wich currently is a fair bit above me still.
But I'd be unlikely to haul my boney behind back to Brill, just to tame a rare version if the common ones are closer and I have the level to snag them.
Taaveti
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: TW-Shadowmoon

Unread post by Taaveti »

If there is a skin that I really want and is shared between a common spawn and a rare, I will always go for the rare.
However, that is only for skins that I really want to have. Usually I won't bother with skins that aren't rare only.
The other exception is probably for sentimental value -for example, Echeyakee - being the first pet that I actively sought after (back in level 20s) and have been with me for the next 50 levels.
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Depends on what it is, some I'll get the rare version some I'll just go grab the common.
ImageImage
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Boven wrote:I'd say it depends upon the rare. If there's something special about it, like the Firelands challenge tames, I'll probably go for the rare just to see if I'm 'good enough' to make that tame. Otherwise, I'll likely go for the non-rare if it's just a particular skin I'm after.

^^
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

It depends on the toon I have, and since MOP, for example my Troll Hunter would never tame any bird pets but would tame reptiles, regardless of its rarity and also other animals that have connection to Trolls such as Loquenahak or bats, and I would only tame beasts that is post -cata quality. So I would only tame a rare that has some sort of lore significance for my toons, especially if the look is unique.