[suggestion] Cloud Serpent tamable as wind serpent

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

[suggestion] Cloud Serpent tamable as wind serpent

Unread post by pop »

Inspired by this thread; http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 53&t=22800

Why? Because Wind Serpent do not have any post cata quality models and both Cloud Serpents and Wind Serpents are flying serpentine creatures with appendages!
Last edited by pop on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: [suggestion] Cloud Serpent tamable as win serpent

Unread post by Sukurachi »

there are a number of "floating" serpent-like models, so I guess this could be a possibility: there's Acronis and the other "ethereal" serpents in Northrend, there's the Mana Wyrms from the Blood Elf starter area (and.. Netherstorm? I forget, always hated that zone).

I suspect that Blizzard still thinks of the Cloud Serpents as "dragons".

But a new Wind Serpent model sure would be nice. Actually, a COUPLE of new Wind Serpent models would be nice! Something ethereal, a bony one, a more colourful one, a really gaudy lacy one, an "armoured" one, etc... it's not like there isn't potential.

It's like every animal class has gotten upgrades and cool rares and whatnot... except for Wind Serpents. Hell - and I KNOW I'm repeating myself here - there aren't even any Wind Serpent battle pets. And Light Well knows, there's a moving dancing Franklin Stove... where are my Wind Serpent babies?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Sukurachi wrote:there are a number of "floating" serpent-like models, so I guess this could be a possibility: there's Acronis and the other "ethereal" serpents in Northrend, there's the Mana Wyrms from the Blood Elf starter area (and.. Netherstorm? I forget, always hated that zone).

I suspect that Blizzard still thinks of the Cloud Serpents as "dragons".

But a new Wind Serpent model sure would be nice. Actually, a COUPLE of new Wind Serpent models would be nice! Something ethereal, a bony one, a more colourful one, a really gaudy lacy one, an "armoured" one, etc... it's not like there isn't potential.

It's like every animal class has gotten upgrades and cool rares and whatnot... except for Wind Serpents. Hell - and I KNOW I'm repeating myself here - there aren't even any Wind Serpent battle pets. And Light Well knows, there's a moving dancing Franklin Stove... where are my Wind Serpent babies?
The other floating serpents do not have appendages as Cloud Serpents and Wind Serpent do though, and both creatures have the same <sky related adjective here> serpent naming convention as opposed to mana wyrms or arcane wyrms which seems a bit more 'magical'.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

pop wrote:The other floating serpents do not have appendages as Cloud Serpents and Wind Serpent do though, and both creatures have the same <sky related adjective here> serpent naming convention as opposed to mana wyrms or arcane wyrms which seems a bit more 'magical'.
Wind serpents don't have any appendages other than their wings. It's one long body, and a pair of wings.
Arcane Wyrms ARE tameable, however. I'd love it if they made Mana Wyrms tameable as well.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: [suggestion] Cloud Serpent tamable as wind serpent

Unread post by pop »

My idea is like this; both Cloud Serpents and Wind Serpents are based on mythological serpents exist in real life mythology, and in WOW, Wind Serpents exist outside of Pandaria, while Cloud Serpents can only be found in Pandaria, and both has either direct or indirect connection with Trolls and Tauren/Yangoul mythology. What if Cloud Serpents are evolve Wind Serpents?
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

pop wrote:What if Cloud Serpents are evolve Wind Serpents?
some arguments against this:

"evolution" has to have some logic to it. Wind Serpents have wings, but no limbs. It seems a stretch to "evolve" from this form to one having no wings yet four limbs.

"more evolved" implies... yes, sentience/intelligence. meaning Blizzard would refuse to make them a tameable pet.

You mentioned earlier that Arcane and Mana Wyrms were more "magical" creatures... and yet, Cloud Serpents fly without wings. Wind Serpents have a certain biological "logic" to them: their wings are there to give them flight and mobility.
But what holds a Cloud Serpent up in the air? It would have to be the same principle as what holds Arcane and Mana Wyrms up: some sort of magical effect.

"Step on no pets!"

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Not too keen on this idea of "Cloud serpents and Wind Serpents are flying serpentine creatures with appendages" and it being an apt reason...yes they've got appendages. One species has legs and species has wings. It's kinda like saying "oh my lord Cloud serpents and worms both have a long body! Make them worms!" Not exactly like that example, but do you see where I am coming from?
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Still no and I really wish this dead horse would stay dead, tbh. There's no body left at this point. Not even dust.

My paper on why dragons should remain not tameable

Yes, this includes cloud serpents. No, you likely won't convince me otherwise. They're based on dragons(very well known, highly honored ones at that: the Lung Dragon or Eastern Dragon) despite their labels in-game.

Just because it's labeled a 'beast' doesn't mean it should be tameable.

That's my stance and likely always will be.

Now if we're changing this topic to maybe updated wind serpent models or something, I'd be all for that. They need some love. I mean Sporebats are finally getting some attention....Wind Serpents should too.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

It's not going to happen - I can be almost sure of it

Agree with Junrei, I'd like to see new wind serpent models but Not tameable pandaren cloudserpents. They are dragons

(I'm not trying to sound rude here, but please, its' been done to death...)

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

While I am in the "dragons shouldn't be hunter pets" and "cloud serpent = lung dragons" camps, I do think wind serpents would be the appropriate family. It's not that they have appendages, it's that they are flying. Snakes are much more mundane than that. They can't fly (although there are real life snakes that glide!) Arcane wyrms should probably be moved over as well. Mana wyrms and those sea serpents could fit as well.

Limiting wind serpents to coatls does stymy model possibilities a bit. Let serpents have the python model.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Xota wrote:While I am in the "dragons shouldn't be hunter pets" and "cloud serpent = lung dragons" camps, I do think wind serpents would be the appropriate family. It's not that they have appendages, it's that they are flying. Snakes are much more mundane than that. They can't fly (although there are real life snakes that glide!) Arcane wyrms should probably be moved over as well. Mana wyrms and those sea serpents could fit as well.

Limiting wind serpents to coatls does stymy model possibilities a bit. Let serpents have the python model.
My other idea is just to group Dragonhawk and Wind Serpent together because in each expansion, they have the same skills!
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Junrei wrote:Still no and I really wish this dead horse would stay dead, tbh. There's no body left at this point. Not even dust.

My paper on why dragons should remain not tameable

Yes, this includes cloud serpents. No, you likely won't convince me otherwise. They're based on dragons(very well known, highly honored ones at that: the Lung Dragon or Eastern Dragon) despite their labels in-game.

Just because it's labeled a 'beast' doesn't mean it should be tameable.

That's my stance and likely always will be.

Now if we're changing this topic to maybe updated wind serpent models or something, I'd be all for that. They need some love. I mean Sporebats are finally getting some attention....Wind Serpents should too.

Thank you for your dissertation. I do however disagree on the ground that WOW do take some inspiration of different mythologies and cultures and yet they try to do it as they on; for example wyverns are supposed to be dragons too in our mythologies but in warcraft, Wyverns become flying manticores with some mammalian attributes to it, though it can be argued it still have a certain amount of sentience according to warcraft 3's lore, does that make wyvern a sentient dragonkin though?

Another reason I would argue that Cloud Serpents are dragonkins is that though the model inspired by the eastern archetype dragons like Druk or Lung, or Southeast Asian Nagas, but the similarities end there only; models. Not only all of the other celestials are based beasts, if your claim is correct, Cloud Serpent is THE ONLY 'dragonkin' which models are not named as dragons. What do Proto-dragon, Faery-dragon, Nether Dragon have in common? They all use names attributed to dragons; Dragon, and Drake. The only exceptions are undead dragons which often use the word wyrms instead like Emberwyrms or Frostwyrms, but in any case they WERE dragons when they were living.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

If peoples discussion continues to back and forth, and circle down it's current path of Cloud Serpents Are/Aren't Dragons, it will be locked.
It has been debated enough for the time being, not one more post/rebuttal about it please.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

pop wrote:
Xota wrote:While I am in the "dragons shouldn't be hunter pets" and "cloud serpent = lung dragons" camps, I do think wind serpents would be the appropriate family. It's not that they have appendages, it's that they are flying. Snakes are much more mundane than that. They can't fly (although there are real life snakes that glide!) Arcane wyrms should probably be moved over as well. Mana wyrms and those sea serpents could fit as well.

My other idea is just to group Dragonhawk and Wind Serpent together because in each expansion, they have the same skills!
I just noticed that when I was perusing the pet family lists, looking for the ones with the fewest and oldest models.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Xota wrote:
pop wrote:

I just noticed that when I was perusing the pet family lists, looking for the ones with the fewest and oldest models.
what's your thought of combining Cranes, Seagulls and Penguins into a new family, Waterbird?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

OK, this is like the 3rd of 4th time this topic has come up within a few weeks and it always ends up in the same arguments, so I'm locking it, sorry ;)

As for the windserpent discussion, I've split it off into a new thread here:
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22830
I hope I captured most of it.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.