[suggestion] New wind serpent ideas

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

[suggestion] New wind serpent ideas

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Split from another thread... [- Wain]

I think it would be cool to have a truly new wind serpent model in game. The new color on Sangrikass in Spires of Arak are very cool but I'd love to see a completely new quetzalcoatl type model in the game.

However due to their model looks and species typing I don't feel they should be grouped with dragonhawks. :)

Just my opinions.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: [suggestion] Cloud Serpent tamable as wind serpent

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

zedxrgal wrote:...but I'd love to see a completely new quetzalcoatl type model in the game.[/color]
I did these sooooo long ago... like years and years ago but didn't really post it, but it is certainly in that same ball park with an Aztec/Coatl theme :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
zedxrgal

That is so obnoxiously bright! I LOVE IT! *makes grabby hands* Yeah a new model in that color scheme would fit so amazing in the jungle *daydreams*

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I would love that but in higher quality model! At least in the form of a mount. I have this idea of having a faction called 'The Skinwalkers' or an of-shoot of Zandalari using blood magic or something that reward players with the ability to shape shift into a Wind Serpent as a flying mount.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

pop wrote:I would love that but in higher quality model! At least in the form of a mount. I have this idea of having a faction called 'The Skinwalkers' or an of-shoot of Zandalari using blood magic or something that reward players with the ability to shape shift into a Wind Serpent as a flying mount.
I think if a Windserpents were to make a debut as a mount, it would make a lot of sense for them to be Naga related. They have used Couatl previously, they are very similar looking to Windserpents and they are quite large compared to their distant relatives, making them probably more suitable as a mount.

• Found on Azeroth and in the Emerald Dream, couatl are large flying magical beasts with serpentine (and bird-like) features used by the naga for aerial support.

Distantly related to wind serpents, couatl are rare creatures of great strength. Couatl are distinguished from their smaller cousins by their immense size (nearly twice the length of a normal wind serpent) and the brilliant display of bright yellow and green plumage across their heads and backs in two long rows. Their shorter, feathered tails serve to further distinguish them from wind serpents. Lastly, their wings are much greater and bear more feathers. Couatl nest in trees and crags dotting the coasts of Azeroth. Some are venomous, some are magical, some are both, and some are neither. Couatl occasionally disrupt magic, which makes some people think that they have an understanding or intelligence of it. This idea is incorrect — couatl are nonsentient animals. Recently, naga have returned to the surface of Azeroth and domesticated couatl. The naga breed these tamed couatl in order to optimize the lethality of their venom and train them to be fiercely loyal to their naga masters. Not all couatl are magical beasts. Like wind serpents, couatl vary in more than simply size and color. Some couatl are purely nonmagical in nature, yet still large and highly venomous. These couatl are animals, not magical beasts.

Couatl can be found flying and swooping among the treetops of Zandalar. Their feathers are collected by adventurers.

Naga train them in Shrines of Azshara. It is not known how a race that lives underwater can tame a flying creature, which implies that the couatl can swim. It seems couatl are also capable of living, or at least remaining underwater, for extended periods of time, a feature crucial to their employment by the naga.

­
­
­
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

wow here is a novel idea, why can't Dragonhawk and Windserpents grouped together in 'Coualt' family?
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

pop wrote:wow here is a novel idea, why can't Dragonhawk and Windserpents grouped together in 'Coualt' family?
Yeah... not sure about that one. Though similar, Couatl aren't exactly Windserpents, but a relative, and then they really aren't Dragonhawks at all.

Since originally introduced in WC, they have always been quite different beasts, regardless of their similarities in traits to what Windserpents have now.

That would be like adding Raptors, Direhorns and Devilsaurs into the same group and calling it Dinosaurs. Which while technically correct, and could possibly work, I'm not sure of what the benefit would be apart from renaming/regrouping?

If they added Coault for some reason later on, I could see them added to the windserpent family due to similarities, but not sure I can see any benefit to merge in dragonhawks as well.

­
­
­
Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Re: [suggestion] New wind serpent ideas

Unread post by Divixon »

@SpiritBinder - love that serp XD
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Ah I'd love them to have those beautiful colors! Quetzacoatls are one of my favorite myth creatures <3

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Spiritbinder actually did a second one, which I think he lost when his computer died, but I had saved a copy. I think this one is even more stunning than the other.

And remember, these are both on the old wind serpent model, no modifications. Just amazing work :)

Anyway, it's a fiery one:

Attachments
PWS2-1.png
PWS2-1.png (124.32 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
PWS2-3.png
PWS2-3.png (210.11 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
PWS2-4.png
PWS2-4.png (182.47 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
zedxrgal

*makes grappy claws* GIMME GIMME GIMME

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

SpiritBinder wrote:
pop wrote:wow here is a novel idea, why can't Dragonhawk and Windserpents grouped together in 'Coualt' family?
Yeah... not sure about that one. Though similar, Couatl aren't exactly Windserpents, but a relative, and then they really aren't Dragonhawks at all.

Since originally introduced in WC, they have always been quite different beasts, regardless of their similarities in traits to what Windserpents have now.

That would be like adding Raptors, Direhorns and Devilsaurs into the same group and calling it Dinosaurs. Which while technically correct, and could possibly work, I'm not sure of what the benefit would be apart from renaming/regrouping?

If they added Coault for some reason later on, I could see them added to the windserpent family due to similarities, but not sure I can see any benefit to merge in dragonhawks as well.
WoW dragonhawks have never struck me as the same animal as WC3 dragon hawks. Those were more like birds, WoW dragonhawks are more like feathered serpents with beaks. If they regrouped them together as "flying serpents" it would make the family less rigidly defined, and arcane wyrms*, floating "sea" serpents, and mana wyrms could fit in as well. As well as unfeathered couatl like in the drawing. Some families have narrow definitions, like Direhorns, and some have broad definitions, like Birds of Prey. Dragonhawks and wind sperpents already apply the same debuff, and will apply the same buff in WoD. If they ever have a breath attack, the graphics could feasibly be made model specific (fire for dragonhawks, lightning for wind serpents, poison for sea serpents, etc).

* Instead of using arcane wyrms to fill out snakes, snakes could get the python model.