How do you EVER decide what to keep?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
jensketch
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormrage

How do you EVER decide what to keep?

Unread post by jensketch »

I cleaned out my stables for WoD -- about 19 slots free. I thought I was set.

Then I go about taming more rares/new tames. What is wrong with me!?!?! :D

Which of these should I keep?!?! I cannot pick!!!

I know the Stags aren't rare at all, and I am sure I'll switch to my favorite Talbuk (grey) in WoD right away, but they are SO regal and pretty!!! The Cata wolves are so fluid, I love the regular ol' Black one (slot#2) actually. I like him a lot -- but the Ghost Saber is a Silver Rare. UGH!

The Cat is also a Silver Rare that I was lucky to tame. Bah, help Petopia!!!
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: How do you EVER decide what to keep?

Unread post by Lisaara »

Just a correction, that's a Wrath wolf, not a Cata. ;) Cata didn't introduce any new wolves(like completely different model). Only Wrath and WoD did. The one in your picture is a Wrath model one. Just thought to inform so people don't get confused to what you're referencing.

Anywhoozle!

I'd rid of duplicates or stuff that doesn't fit your stable theme. I have maybe one or two dupes but it's for rp reasons.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

jensketch
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Eh, they used to not be there in Redridge Mountains. My memory is of vanilla and it was green fluffy spiders! Things can change over the years and my initial memories stay the same. lol :)

I guess I shouldn't have put a Worg AND Wolf in the picture as it's confusing to people! LOL
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I tend to think if the pets I have have some sort of story. Do they fit beside my hunter? Can my hunter say that those pets are her companions? How emotionally attached am I? If my pets answer yes to most of these, sometimes just one yes is enough, then I keep them.

Then again, I've got like 6 wolves. So...yeah. Maybe it's best you don't take advice from me. I just follow the rule of "if I can run alongside this creature and feel like it belongs with me I'll keep it."
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I keep challenge tames that I can no longer get and any pet that has become its own personality/has a background. there are also a few mandatory pets i keep around for raiding such as my spore bat who i can swap out for new colors or models whenever the mood strikes me. Also having more than one hunter really helps since i can keep my mandatory pets on my main and then get all the whimsical rares on my alt and still be happy.

(btw I don't actually SEE your ghost saber in the picture....)
but here is my advice, go tame whatever you want right now before wod so you can get all the impulse tames out of your system and see who you enjoy running with and which ones just did not live up to the hype. that way you can get the impulse stuff out of the way before you really need to worry about making room.
also i think that unless there is some really special attachment to your older model pets, you can swap those out for new wod ones. you can try out the new wolves and even your red eyed cat could be switched for one of the new cats in wod. most rares are fairly easy to find again aside from spirit beasts and some LK stuff. I would keep the stags for now and test them out against the talbuck you have in mind before you make a choice. Some of the pets i have been waiting to tame for years didnt actually hold up to some of the common mobs i tamed on a whim. And since stags are so new and they have a really nice buff i think you should go ahead and play around with them a bit and enjoy all the new options before making any final choices.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

jensketch wrote:Eh, they used to not be there in Redridge Mountains. My memory is of vanilla and it was green fluffy spiders! Things can change over the years and my initial memories stay the same. lol :)

I guess I shouldn't have put a Worg AND Wolf in the picture as it's confusing to people! LOL
Haha it's alright! Cata was when they brought the wolves over to EK so I can see why you thought 'cata wolves' x3

Also I definitely keep pets that have a significant meaning to me. Like my first rare tame was Tak the Leaper and I still have him to this day.

LisaaraPokefarm

jensketch
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Yeah I am surprised by how different pets feel once I run with them awhile. Wolves feel more right than any other companion I've had other than possibly Magria, who wasn't hard or tricky (I got her just a few months ago) but is so beautiful I love running with her.

But Wolves feel even better, and regular ones. Not fancy ones. I can't explain it at all ><

Thing is? I've had Gara for weeks and weeks on the beta. SHE is the one I'm really waiting for <3

edit; Making a quest to tame her made her part of my story. I'm not a RPer, never have been -- but saving her from the Void, just that bit of background, made ALL the difference in the world.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I try to rotate my pets around at least somewhat, but I find there are some pets that just don't get out as much as others. Those are the ones I end up letting go. Whether a pet is rare or not doesn't matter to me, I just like pets for their looks and personalities.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

I find that I'm best at stable pruning once I take a break from that particular hunter for a while! Then when I log back on, I have fresh eyes- I can look at my stable and tell which ones I just had for kicks.

I love having a small stable, myself. My main hunter has a stable of 11 at the moment, and I don't think it's going to get much higher than that even with the expac! So when I stable prune, I do it savagely. Everything that I don't expect to use frequently must go. I'm being more lenient than I used to be, too, because of raid buffs- I used to frequently get my stables down to under ten pets. ^.^;;

So, I just suggest being brutal. If you regret abandoning one, you can always tame it again! And if it doesn't click the next time you tame it, then hey, you freed up a stable slot.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

jensketch wrote:Yeah I am surprised by how different pets feel once I run with them awhile. Wolves feel more right than any other companion I've had other than possibly Magria, who wasn't hard or tricky (I got her just a few months ago) but is so beautiful I love running with her.

But Wolves feel even better, and regular ones. Not fancy ones. I can't explain it at all ><

Thing is? I've had Gara for weeks and weeks on the beta. SHE is the one I'm really waiting for <3

edit; Making a quest to tame her made her part of my story. I'm not a RPer, never have been -- but saving her from the Void, just that bit of background, made ALL the difference in the world.
Roleplay is an amazing thing, isnt it? It makes or breaks things for me. Every pet I tame, I try to make sure I have a reason behind it. Like for my BE, Taluwen, I rp Loque is not her pet but a spirit beast that found her worthy of his aid after she rescued his mate in Zul'drak.

LisaaraPokefarm