Rarest pet from Burning Crusade?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Rarest pet from Burning Crusade?

Unread post by Wassa »

Any skin that was available only at low levels was rare in Burning Crusade. We had to level up our pets back then from the level they were found in the wild. People mostly just tamed the highest level ravager, wind serpent, cat, etc that they could find. Some pet families where only available at low levels, like crabs, so you didn't see many level 70 hunters with one.

I remember also taming a sporebat in BC was laughable. They had only growl and cower. Not even a bite or claw. Smack didn't come out until Wrath. Hardly any hunters kept one as a main pet.

As other people said Grimtotem Spirit Guide was probably the rarest pet, due to how hard it was to tame and that it was retired quickly. Since it is still retired, you won't be able to tame it now, but Karoma shares the same skin although it's a spirit beast and not a wolf.

Death Ravager was another retired pet from BC. Back then he used crawlerpurple skin and was the only stable color of that skin, although Rip-Blade Ravager had the same skin but was a color changer at the time.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Unread post by Kalhoun »

Wassa wrote:Any skin that was available only at low levels was rare in Burning Crusade. We had to level up our pets back then from the level they were found in the wild. People mostly just tamed the highest level ravager, wind serpent, cat, etc that they could find.
I don't miss leveling pets! In BC I decided to tame Humar and level him from 23 to 70. During that time, I had to respec to Marksman and have him passive by my side as I killed caster mobs in Terrokar Forest. It took a very, very long time! XD

I do kinda miss pet loyalty though. "You are now best friends with ____" would always make me go D'AWWWWWW.
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

Kalhoun wrote:
Wassa wrote:Any skin that was available only at low levels was rare in Burning Crusade. We had to level up our pets back then from the level they were found in the wild. People mostly just tamed the highest level ravager, wind serpent, cat, etc that they could find.
I don't miss leveling pets! In BC I decided to tame Humar and level him from 23 to 70. During that time, I had to respec to Marksman and have him passive by my side as I killed caster mobs in Terrokar Forest. It took a very, very long time! XD

I do kinda miss pet loyalty though. "You are now best friends with ____" would always make me go D'AWWWWWW.
Pet Loyalty is the only thing from those days I miss gave me a reason to really level fishing.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Ew nooooo. Never ever again do I want freakin loyalty. That thing can go die in a fire after getting ran over.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I don't miss the necessity of needing to level it in order to get the most dps out of your pet, but I do miss the sentimentality behind it. I really enjoyed reaching the Best Friend level too, it felt pretty special after having a pet for so long, especially when they were one that meant a lot to you. In the end it's better that the mechanic is gone but I can't help missing some of those old aspects for the flavour.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Yeah, I liked the "friendship" mechanic back then. It made it feel less like a pet or a tool, and more like a companion. I mean, I still feel that way about my pets, but it was just nice to see it.

Back on topic, I don't remember much about BC because it was so long ago, but it does seem like I remember more cats/ravagers/raptors than other pets. Perhaps look into pets that used to have "caster stats"? Things like wind serpents and I believe dragonhawks had inferior stats compared to normal pets, if memory serves. They looked cool, but the fact that they were inferior led people to avoid them. Maybe someone here better remembers exactly which ones those were, if you're interested.

Edit: When did the regular serpents become tamable? Remember the one that could be tamed in Zul'Farrak (at least I think that's where it was), but you couldn't feed it? Therefore, a few people had it, but not many, because it was so hard to use. I remember seeing people take it out in main cities to show off, but you didn't see it often. Wish I could remember if that was BC, or before, or after. :(

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Rhyela wrote:Back on topic, I don't remember much about BC because it was so long ago, but it does seem like I remember more cats/ravagers/raptors than other pets. Perhaps look into pets that used to have "caster stats"? Things like wind serpents and I believe dragonhawks had inferior stats compared to normal pets, if memory serves. They looked cool, but the fact that they were inferior led people to avoid them. Maybe someone here better remembers exactly which ones those were, if you're interested.

Edit: When did the regular serpents become tamable? Remember the one that could be tamed in Zul'Farrak (at least I think that's where it was), but you couldn't feed it? Therefore, a few people had it, but not many, because it was so hard to use. I remember seeing people take it out in main cities to show off, but you didn't see it often. Wish I could remember if that was BC, or before, or after. :(
Most low level dragonhawks, wind serpents, and a few spiders had caster stats in Vanilla and BC. The higher level ones in Outlands didn't, so that was one reason why hunters usually had tamed the Outland wind serpents over the older Vanilla models. That and you didn't have to level them as much.

Wind serpents where actually really good pets in BC. I remember ravagers being one of the top dps pets (cats and owls too), but once you got to 30% crit and paired with some trait that gave your pet focus when you crit, wind serpent was the top dps pet. I used my wind serpent all through Sunwell raiding.

Serpents became tameable in BC so the Sandfury Guardian being super rare was a Vanilla WoW only thing.

Kalhoun wrote:I don't miss leveling pets! In BC I decided to tame Humar and level him from 23 to 70. During that time, I had to respec to Marksman and have him passive by my side as I killed caster mobs in Terrokar Forest. It took a very, very long time! XD
Ah yes I remember spending hours leveling my Grimtotem Spirit Guide from level 30 by killing the void creatures in Nagrand. Had to kite every single one of them. By the time I got enough primal shadow for my shadow resist gear, my wolf was just shy of level 70.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Wassa wrote:Most low level dragonhawks, wind serpents, and a few spiders had caster stats in Vanilla and BC. The higher level ones in Outlands didn't, so that was one reason why hunters usually had tamed the Outland wind serpents over the older Vanilla models. That and you didn't have to level them as much.

Wind serpents where actually really good pets in BC. I remember ravagers being one of the top dps pets (cats and owls too), but once you got to 30% crit and paired with some trait that gave your pet focus when you crit, wind serpent was the top dps pet. I used my wind serpent all through Sunwell raiding.

Serpents became tameable in BC so the Sandfury Guardian being super rare was a Vanilla WoW only thing.
Ahhh, thank you so much for clearing that up! My memory can be so bad it actually worries me sometimes. :lol: Maybe I don't remember as much hunter-wise because I didn't play my hunter in BC. My hunter was originally on my husband's account, back when we shared an account. When I got my own account, Blizzard couldn't transfer characters between accounts at the time, so my hunter sat unplayed for a couple years. All hail character transfers! :D

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

MaximumOverdrive wrote:
SylviaDragon wrote:Both the red Warpstalker and the Black Warpstaler would have been *the* rarest pets both in that xpack and for many xpacks to come until probably cata. this was due to them only being tamable for a short amount of time before the black one could not longer be tamed and the red ones were removed half way through BC and did not return until a few xpacks later.
Neither of these warp stalkers were tamable in BC, only the green & whites were. Red wasn't tamable when when game & black was too high level.

The armored wolf wasn't tamable in BC either.

Animals from the opposing BC starting areas were usually rareish, like the Lynx & Dragonhawks from the BE area.
The armored wolf wasn't tameable? How did I get one then? I used him during BC and still have him. As I said, it was a bit tricky since you had to run in and out of the instance a couple of times. A limited number of Hunters also did get the black Warpstalker.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I don't miss leveling pets but I do kind of miss the loyalty thing and having to feed them.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Danielfboone wrote:
MaximumOverdrive wrote:
SylviaDragon wrote:Both the red Warpstalker and the Black Warpstaler would have been *the* rarest pets both in that xpack and for many xpacks to come until probably cata. this was due to them only being tamable for a short amount of time before the black one could not longer be tamed and the red ones were removed half way through BC and did not return until a few xpacks later.
Neither of these warp stalkers were tamable in BC, only the green & whites were. Red wasn't tamable when when game & black was too high level.

The armored wolf wasn't tamable in BC either.

Animals from the opposing BC starting areas were usually rareish, like the Lynx & Dragonhawks from the BE area.
The armored wolf wasn't tameable? How did I get one then? I used him during BC and still have him. As I said, it was a bit tricky since you had to run in and out of the instance a couple of times. A limited number of Hunters also did get the black Warpstalker.
Not during BC. The black warpstalker is level 72, and thus too high to tame. http://www.wowhead.com/npc=23163/gezzarak-the-huntress

The wolves didn't become tamable until WotLK. http://www.wowhead.com/npc=17280/shatte ... d#comments As of patch 3.03.