Patch 6.2 PTR - Oil Stained Wolf lost its oil coat

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Patch 6.2 PTR - Oil Stained Wolf lost its oil coat

Unread post by Bendak »

I copied over my hunter and my oil-stained wolf is no longer displaying his oily coat :( But the "Oil Coat" buff is still intact, so I'm hoping this was just a display bug and not intentional. Can anyone else try their pets? Maybe some of the other special ones like the fire boar too?
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: Patch 6.2 PTR - Oil Stained Wolf lost its oil coat

Unread post by Dialga »

All of my appearance pets have lost their effects; however, they have not lost their buff on their nameplate, which makes me think it's just a PTR error.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Looks like they are back in the latest patch, Oily aura seems fine now.

Attachments
Aura.jpg
Aura.jpg (455.17 KiB) Viewed 2944 times

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Bendak »

SpiritBinder wrote:Looks like they are back in the latest patch, Oily aura seems fine now.
Mine on my wolf is not :( Tried recopying my character too.

I have two oil stained wolfs. Tried them both. Buff is on the pet, but no effect. Went to borean tundra and those mobs display the effect properly, so I don't know what's going on. Would really suck if they removed it after all these years. Not sure why your bird survived. Is it the same "Oil Coat" buff?

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/otnNi0v.jpg

Dialga, can you re-test your pets with the new build?
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Bendak »

I have discovered something new and a bit troubling. My oil stained wolf works properly if I summon it from one of my old PTR characters. That is, a character I copied over back before 6.1. In the previous PTR cycle. The oil stained wolf works on all of them (had several copies of my main).

But any new one I copy, the oil stained wolf does NOT work.

WTH? :(
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Bendak wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:Looks like they are back in the latest patch, Oily aura seems fine now.
Mine on my wolf is not :( Tried recopying my character too.

I have two oil stained wolfs. Tried them both. Buff is on the pet, but no effect. Went to borean tundra and those mobs display the effect properly, so I don't know what's going on. Would really suck if they removed it after all these years. Not sure why your bird survived. Is it the same "Oil Coat" buff?

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/otnNi0v.jpg

Dialga, can you re-test your pets with the new build?
I would, but my PTR broke with the latest patch. I even tried to fully delete and reinstall, but it's stuck at 'Waiting on another installation or update.'
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Oh Darn.... :| THAT, I did not check, the above is my hunter from last PTR transfer.... so it potentially does not bode so well. It could go either way, could be a new safety measure for newly tamed pets and the old ones may be grandfathers (as it's odd that the prior character copies still have them), we'll have to keep a close eye on it. Sadly I don't feel it fair to bring up as a "Complaint" so much as the auras were not really intended to begin with, but personally I would find it pretty sad that after all this time they would remove them.
Can anyone else confirm it's all other pets? (Flaming Piggy, Sha Touched, etc.?)

Could you confirm which exact pets you had Dialga? (when if you can get your PTR working)

Thanks for the additional info B.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Bendak »

i guess it's time to submit a bug. I'm not hopeful though since it's technically a request to UNfix a bug (though it doesn't explain why the aura itself is still applied to the pet).

It would be tremendously disappointing. One of my favorite pets since I tamed it...what was it, 7 years ago? It's always in my active pet list, and I even tamed a second one in case I ever fouled up and took it into arena.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

SpiritBinder wrote:Oh Darn.... :| THAT, I did not check, the above is my hunter from last PTR transfer.... so it potentially does not bode so well. It could go either way, could be a new safety measure for newly tamed pets and the old ones may be grandfathers (as it's odd that the prior character copies still have them), we'll have to keep a close eye on it. Sadly I don't feel it fair to bring up as a "Complaint" so much as the auras were not really intended to begin with, but personally I would find it pretty sad that after all this time they would remove them.
Can anyone else confirm it's all other pets? (Flaming Piggy, Sha Touched, etc.?)

Could you confirm which exact pets you had Dialga? (when if you can get your PTR working)

Thanks for the additional info B.
[whistles through my teeth] Hm... a lot. It's hard to list them all because they're most of my stables, but the fire boar, oil wolf and bird, lone hunter, consumed thistle bear, sha goat, a couple of pets with the red bloodpollen poison sprinkled on them, sha scorpid, sha crocolisk, sha crane, sha tiger, kung din... basically, a lot. But I think I managed to fix my PTR... EDIT: Since I'm redownloading the PTR, my core files are still DLing so while I can log in, I can't see ANY pet because the data hasn't loaded yet.. everything's all blankish and untextured around me. I'm going to let it run while I sleep and touch base in the morning.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Last edited by Dialga on Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Bendak »

It is possible that it's a bug with the character transfer process. That would certainly explain why previously copied character's pets work fine. However, if that's the case, then this may also be a problem for regular server transfers. Really hoping someone at blizz will take a look, even though it's probably viewed as low priority.
Takanuka
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Takanuka »

It's confirmed that it is intentional. I had the worg with the sword in his head when I first copied despite it didn't visually show just the buff did and now the sword buff is gone entirely and gms replied saying they will not restore it. Please someone convince them not to do this to live or else I will not return and they will have alot of angry hunters plus it doesn't harm anyone just having a visual )-:.

Side Note: Please do not mess with the display buffs or you may give yourself a mini heart attack.
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Unread post by Qinni »

All my buffs seem to be gone too and its just not my oil either. Sha, muted colors etc not showing. I hope its just a ptr thing. I copied my stuff today and just got on to check.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Qinni wrote:All my buffs seem to be gone too and its just not my oil either. Sha, muted colors etc not showing. I hope its just a ptr thing. I copied my stuff today and just got on to check.
Buffs too? As in you don't see them on the nameplate or just visually?
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Unread post by Qinni »

Dialga wrote:
Qinni wrote:All my buffs seem to be gone too and its just not my oil either. Sha, muted colors etc not showing. I hope its just a ptr thing. I copied my stuff today and just got on to check.
Buffs too? As in you don't see them on the nameplate or just visually?
Some dont show buffs like the bear or the oil wolf. Like my sha and muted bird from valley of the four winds. The icon buffs still show just not the visual. Sorry for my awful wording I DO NOT WISH TO GIVE ANYONE A HEART ATTACK D:
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Just copied Thwip over. Her oil wolf still has the buff, but is like everyone else's in not displaying her oil.

On a side note pertaining to another pet issue. Thwip still has a wasp that used to be a color changer and it still refuses to color change on the the PTR as it does in Live. I'm close to tossing the towel in on color changers being able to do their thing anymore at this point.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

im scarred to take mine out now >.<
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Bendak »

Ziroth wrote:im scarred to take mine out now >.<
Doesn't matter if its stabled or not, I tried both ways. PTR character copy strips all effects, but leaves buff icon intact.

Still holding out hope its some kind of PTR transfer bug because it seems kinda wrong to remove it after 7 years for seemingly no reason (yes, even though it's technically a bug).
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Bendak »

So it's been a while and unfortunately this is still a thing. If you're affected and you haven't sent in an in-game feedback or bug report yet (on PTR), you may want to consider it.

I have a feeling this is getting little to no attention since most of the people with these pets probably don't play anymore. It'll be a real shame to lose them though.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Oof, this worries me. :(

I have the sha-affected crocolisk and I'd hate to lose him, or any of the other specialty tames people have. I sent in a report but I feel a bit like it's just yelling into the wind. I worry that the problem might go over the heads of people who read the feedback, or they won't understand what the issue is because it's such a specific little bug that doesn't affect many people. It might not feel crucial or important to them.

*waits anxiously*