Taming (the Elusive) Savage

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Dodongo79
Realm: Silver Hand

Taming (the Elusive) Savage

Unread post by Dodongo79 »

Howdy, y'all. For whatever reason, this cat just keeps slipping out of my grasp. I will list everything I have tried and hopefully y'all will tell me where I went wrong or why I can't seem to get it.

1. His Tracks: I know to turn down the ground clutter to follow its tracks. I've done it and I have no trouble tracking him down. Since I've been trying to tame him for almost a month, now, I have his route memorized. (Tip:I found that the ramp up into the Forest Heart (you'll know when you see it) is the easiest to try and tame him because you can see his tracks coming and going and nothing goes up that ramp to trigger a trap or aggro you while hitting "tame".)

2. Flaring/Trapping: I know to flare to bring him out into sight. I've placed a Frost Trap down to slow down his pathing to try and snag his tame, but that doesn't work. Freezing Trap, while although does encase him in ice, the Taming Beast (when finished with its cycle) doesn't land. It's as if he shrugged off everything and follows his own script. Once the Freezing Trap is removed, he vanishes again into the shadows. Reflaring will bring him back, but I'm left scrambling to set up the trap...that didn't work in the first place. :|

3. Shooting him / Aggo'ing him: Does nothing. Concussive shot, he shrugs off. Arcane Shot, he shrugs off. He keeps going as if to say "Aww, that's nice, dear."...and away he goes into the shadows.

I'm really at a loss. I'm currently BM specc'ed and level 95. I did, however, travel to Timeless Isle to try and tame Primal Stalker and LO! It holds. You can tame them. And he looks like Savage with his beautiful blue eyes.

(But, if you play like I do, knowing that it's not Savage sticks in your craw and it'll never be good enough. At this point, if I get him, his name will remain Savage because anything this difficult and elusive should keep their name.)

I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Hawkshadow
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Ravenholdt

Re: Taming (the Elusive) Savage

Unread post by Hawkshadow »

Glyph of tame beast might help to make your tame faster :)
Dodongo79

Thank you. I do have that. Even with that glyph, it's still not enough. Someone mentioned Wyvern Sting, which I don't have (took Intimidation). If Concuss Shot doesn't work and Arcane doesn't deter him from his path, why would Wyvern Sting?

I appreciate the help. Thanks. =)
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

Wyvern Sting, if I'm correct, sleeps the target.

Okay, my suggestion:

When you flare him and get him visible, Stand in front of him, Hit "aspect of the fox" which lets you cast while moving, and backpedal while channeling the tame.

Make a macro, because if you don't do it at the 'exact same time', aspect of the fox will run out before the tame, and the tame will cancel.

Do this:

/cast aspect of the fox
/cast tame beast

But be sure you have Savage targeted

Hope it helps!

I tested it on Shadowmoon animals, and it worked, but I am too lazy to track Savage again and try it on him. Sorry ;w;

Here is a video I made, showing it use on Amaukwa:
https://youtu.be/4rASqMPmsnI

It's probably not helpful, but it's just an example.

Good luck T^T!

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Dodongo79

He vanishes again... *sighs*. I really thought the Aspect of the Fox technique was going to work, too.

I think I'm going to have to enlist a hunter guildie to help me out in keeping him flared while I tame him.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post a pic after I get him. =)
Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

That thing about the freezing trap not working is odd to me... That's how I've tamed all my pandaland track-leavers. Flared, trap-launched a freezing trap immediately, tamed with glyph-- OH! Hunter's Mark was removed, maybe that's it? It used to let you keep tracking even after flare wore off, right?

In any case, best wishes! Hope it all works out soon.
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Arthur »

Yeah, I think it's because hunter's mark. That was what (if I'm remembering correctly) kept the little beasties visible while taming.

I'm sorry it didn't work, Dodongo79, I really hope you get Savage soon! She is a beautiful tiger

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Dodongo79

She is. And yeah, it's because Hunter's Mark isn't an option to use anymore.

Just means we have to get creative. ;)
Dodongo79

HAHAHA!!! I GOT HIM!!!!

So, I followed him to the clearing ramp in the Forest Heart (If you saw it, you'd know what I was talking about) and I waited after seeing his tracks towards the end. I respecced to get the Wyvern Sting. Flared myself, placed the freezing trap right in front of me, when he snapped the trap, I did wyvern sting and tame. BOOM.

He's GLORIOUS....

And since he was a bugger to get, I'm keeping his name. Anything that difficult deserves to keep his name. =)

I'm SO happy!!!
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Congrats on getting your tiger! :D

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Arthur »

Yay! I'm glad you got him!! Congrats!

Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

Late, but congrats! :)