Curious Centipede Coloration: A What-If

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Curious Centipede Coloration: A What-If

Unread post by Equeon »

Before they were eventually scrapped, a new pet family of centipedes was going to be added in Warlords of Draenor. Since they never got their own model (probably due to the rushed expansion release), most of the NPCs were unimplemented. The others were changed to be the "burrowing jormungar" model.

Thanks to Qraljar's picture of the WoD art book, we know that the centipedes would have looked something like this.

My question is: what would they have looked like, color-wise? Would they have looked like real-life centipedes? Would they have had similar coloration to the Jormungar? I'd love to see some speculation, or even better, Photoshop/Paint mock-ups if anyone is interested enough. It's a shame these weren't implemented, but I guess there's always hope for the future!
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Curious Centipede Coloration: A What-If

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ahhh, such a shame we never got them. :( They would have been amazing.

I love thinking of the vibrant colours they could be too, something like this:
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

I feel they may have been made in similar colors to hook wasps and draenor ravagers. Some colorful and some not.

Like this guy. He's pretty colorful.

And he has a similarly colored wasp buddy.

It would be totally cool if they ever were implemented in the future. I'd love to see how they bring it to life in game.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Hopefully they would have had a huge range of colours. But looking at the picture I can't help but think pink because it reminds me of the half-worm model that was used so much in Outland :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Equeon wrote:Before they were eventually scrapped, a new pet family of centipedes was going to be added in Warlords of Draenor. Since they never got their own model (probably due to the rushed expansion release), most of the NPCs were unimplemented. The others were changed to be the "burrowing jormungar" model.

Thanks to Qraljar's picture of the WoD art book, we know that the centipedes would have looked something like this.

My question is: what would they have looked like, color-wise? Would they have looked like real-life centipedes? Would they have had similar coloration to the Jormungar? I'd love to see some speculation, or even better, Photoshop/Paint mock-ups if anyone is interested enough. It's a shame these weren't implemented, but I guess there's always hope for the future!

I think the picture is Spiritbinder's

(I don't even own the WoD CE, ha ha.)

I'm just the guy who holds on to it like a maniac because he wants centipedes as pets literally more than any other pet, including Pterrorwings and Kunchong.

And I believe they would have had those two new jormungar colours at least, as well as there would be a Shadowmoon version (like the boss in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds today). I think there would have been a black, but the picture makes me think of a really bloody, somewhat glossy red.

I really hope Blizzard takes the idea with them to the next expansion. If the next expansion has a jungle (maybe islands? South seas?) then that would be a great place for giant jungle centipedes. Tanaan not having them was a wasted opportunity, though.

Who knows? WoD is not yet over, they might still appear, but I doubt it. In the meantime, I'll keep fanboying about them.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

It's really not good, since I'm a novice at image editing, but here's a quick colored mock-up I made.
Ideally the legs would have a lot more contrast, and it would have nice patterning like the ravagers and silithids.

And here's the template (the tail got a little clipped on one side, but I'm too lazy to fix it. :roll: )

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It'd look great in that colour :)

Maybe they'll be released at the same time as the Scorpar ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.