PTR 6.2 Mystery Tame Contest - SOLVED

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: PTR 6.2 Mystery Tame Contest - SOLVED

Unread post by Quiv »

Just did this on live as BM, trying a variety of tank pets. I am 673 and holy cow she ripped through my pet time after time after time. It was a long fight.

The funniest thing is watching her rip through paladins and death knights etc who tried her before me. Was lols
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I did the intro quests and killed some rares first, but then decided to go try and kill her. First try failed because she glitched and fell under the ground... and proceeded to kill me 'cause I couldn't dispell her. -_- But when I got a proper chance I got her down fairly easily. She never got the chance to kill my pet; kept on top of interrupting heals, dispelling her and flaring her and it wasn't too difficult at ilvl 666 and BM.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I forgot all about dispelling. I don't recall my addon going off either... maybe I rely too much on it lol either way I'm a dumb.
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I've got my Felwolf, and man is the chick a BEAST. I'm not sure about people just hand waving and acting like it's easy. I'm no 1%er or anything but I don't suck and she kicked my ass up around my shoulders.

Tried it this afternoon with a DK Tank. BOOM he was dead in a second or two. Tried it with a group of 5 and they all died fast. I could kite a bit but trying to hurt her, trying to keep my pet up, and trying not to die, while also dispelling and interrupting her full heal was hard. Tried for about an hour and a half with the group of 5 and we only got her to about 10% once.

My interrupt just didn't tick fast enough to stop her second try at the full heal and she'd be back to 5mil again.

Came back tonight and there was a list group going. You join the list, they put you at the bottom. You all kill her, person at the top of the list gets the loot, you move up in the rankngs.

with 11 people on the list it took a good while. Almost two hours, but the thing was, it was 11 when I joined but.. people didn't join too fast after I did. By the time I was 2nd in the listings it was down to 5 people. I'd wiped with just 5 earlier in the day a number of times so I was sweating it. I finally got lead and she popped up again. I'll say it is a -hunter- challenge because we all had the abilities to counter her stuff. Even if one or two of us missed the dispell or the interrupt one of the others would get it.

I got my vial and passed lead. BOOM the group exploded and everyone left. The second I passed off lead it was like rats leaving a sinking ship. I'd put in 2 hours and got the vial by the skin of my teeth. Whew! Thing is there were still 4 people in it. If they'd hung out they might have gotten a 5th or if they tried got it with 4 hunters. (We didn't have much problem with 5)

Either way, I got my vial and headed up through the zone to the area where the wolves were supposed to be. Not sure if it was just me, but I had to go signifigantly north of the area, to zone into a different zone, then come back down around to get them to pop. Then I got jumped by about 6 at once.

Didn't panic. Waded through 5. Dismissed Gara and used the vial on the 6th. Vial makes um stop attacking so that was nice. Tamed her and got out of there.

Now I just need a name.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

She is definitely a challenge. I also am certainly no 1%er but I am a competent player. I was ilvl 700 on the PTR, 673 on live and it was rough both times. Granted I forgot to tranq the buff, making it 100x harder than it should be, but i still did it so its definitely possible to do, just not recommended AT ALL. I'm half tempted to go try her again, do the fight correctly, and see how much tranqing the buff helps.

But yeah definitely a challenge. A small misstep can screw the whole thing up. I had her start casting her heal right when I was changing target to a respawned mob to get it on my pet. That was very irritating. She can heal in stealth to, so if you mistime or misplace flare, fight restarts.

I feel bad for the hunters who are lower ilvl (although I would like to see how low an ilvl she can be beat with). Nok killed me with list groups though, I'm glad yours worked out.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Me and a friend doubleteamed her tonight... twice, so we could each get a vial. She's Marks, I'm BM, it worked out pretty well (the second time went a lot smoother when we had a better idea of when to interrupt or dispel.)

She's a real bear though, won't lie.

Also got my iron wolf... now the project is to find a fel boar. The green ones appear to be -really- scarce.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

The fight is long and there's no way around that; I'm not sure how long it took me exactly, but at least ten minutes as I got two stampedes. But if you can throw some mend pets in there when you get the chance and keep on top of dispelling her INSANE damage buff your pet shouldn't die once. Dispelling really is the most important thing. Dispell and keep avoiding her blossoms and the damage isn't that bad.

Both my flare and interrupt was off cooldown by the time she stealthed or started casting her heal, at least that was the case for me - she heals only after 50% and it seems to be every 25-30 seconds. So as long as I paid attention and used both asap It wasn't an issue.

It's all just about timing.

I cleared the area of mobs before engaging her too like some people recommended. When the mobs started respawning I just misdirected to my pet and used barrage to pull them all so I wouldn't have them on me.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Nimrod
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU - Ghostlands

Unread post by Nimrod »

I found it made the fight a lot easier if you use the permanent MD to pet while in Beast Mastery spec with a Core Hound. Both BW and Master's Call will get rid of the sleep effect, and it made the fight an absolute cakewalk as long as you dispel/interrupt/flare/move.

Got my pet mirror and Fel Pup, so as long as I don't cast ANYTHING (Really annoying that it dispels the effect) I can run around with the wolf and pup out!

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

As BM, ilvl 660, it was a pretty straightforward fight provided you don't get hit by Fel Blossom and land your flare on her as soon as she goes invisible. Took me two tries, since on the first one I shot the flare a little too wide and she healed back to full while stealthed.

I've gotta say, though I was disappointed this tame is another wolf, the fact that some developer took the time to implement this hidden "side-quest" just for hunters makes me feel special. The challenging fight and the item to tame a special creature reminds me of all the rare ideas I created during MoP. I hope to see more like this in the future!
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

The green model wolf was one I've wanted forever. (Any green wolf. I have a green ascetic going on my hunter.) When WoD Kicked off and I saw these, but couldn't tame them it killed me. Then we got Gara who was a purple version. She goes well with green but still. Every time I'd pass a green one in the game it just twisted the knife.

I checked back to Petopia often just in case one of these would sneak through. I didn't want to miss it.

Saw when we -did- get one. A little sad it wasn't a spirit beast but still. I lept on it like stink on a monkey. It was easily the best thing about the patch for me. As soon as I got off the boat I didn't do quests, I headed for the beach to get her. Took me a while. My ILvl wasn't astronomical so I couldn't brute force through it. I think they might have dialed her back a bit from the start too as when the patch first went live we had 5 or 6 people dog piling on her and she'd wade through all of us with out a problem.

Still I ended up getting her first day by joining a raid group with 11+ people (That did wind down as we went)

Love this pet, so I'm not dissapointed at all that it's another wolf as it's the one I actually wanted.

What dissapoints me, is the 'No flying in draenor' thing took the green Fel wolf mount and switched it with the corrupted bird for the 150,000Crystals mount/raid meta.

I'm not a high end raider. So I've got pretty much no chance what so ever of getting the matching mount. Heck. I've already got close to 200crystals and will get exaulted with the faction pretty quick, but now the bird is there instead of the wolf mount. That dissapoints me.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:What dissapoints me, is the 'No flying in draenor' thing took the green Fel wolf mount and switched it with the corrupted bird for the 150,000Crystals mount/raid meta.
Yeah, I was talking about this with someone the other day. If they'd decided sooner about flying I have the feeling that the fel dread raven would be the raid meta and the wolf would have been the vendor mount. Of course thematically the raven makes more sense from the Arakkoa vendor than the wolf does, but that hasn't stopped them in the past (the last arakkoa mount was a talbuk!).
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

I'm pretty sure you get the bird from Vol'jin's faction, but I can't say whom on alliance side.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Nope, Corrupted Dreadwing is from the arakkoa faction, Order of the Awakened! It does seem more fitting thematically for sure.

That's a real bummer though Pepsi and I'm sorry to hear that. :( I remember being thrilled at the Dreadwing being the raid meta at first because to me 150k crystals (plus 100k gold on top of that, from the original datamined price) seemed almost impossible and it was the mount I wanted most dearly. I was willing to raid and work for it, honestly nothing would have kept me from it. I hadn't known at the time that the new daily area would be rewarding apexis crystals too, so it went from something that seemed like it would take half a year to something I earned in a couple weeks through sheer motivation. I can't express how happy and relieved I am to have the mount now, but the raid meta feels so much more difficult and I feel so bad for those who were longing for the fel wolf. :(
Nimrod
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU - Ghostlands

Unread post by Nimrod »

Earlier PTR builds had them the other way around, so the dreadwing was the meta reward. Then, after flying announcement, they were switched.

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

I know. That's what I'm bemoaning. I wanted the wolf. lol