Which families most need additional or updated looks?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Which families most need additional or updated looks?

[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Basilisks[/td][/tr][/table]
2%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Bats[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Bears[/td][/tr][/table]
15%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Beetles[/td][/tr][/table]
0%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Birds of Prey[/td][/tr][/table]
No votes
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Boars[/td][/tr][/table]
No votes
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Carrion Birds[/td][/tr][/table]
No votes
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Cats[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Chimaeras[/td][/tr][/table]
0%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Clefthooves[/td][/tr][/table]
No votes
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Core Hounds[/td][/tr][/table]
6%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Crabs[/td][/tr][/table]
No votes
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Cranes[/td][/tr][/table]
No votes
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Crocolisks[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Devilsaurs[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Direhorns[/td][/tr][/table]
0%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Dogs[/td][/tr][/table]
5%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Dragonhawks[/td][/tr][/table]
3%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Foxes[/td][/tr][/table]
2%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Goats[/td][/tr][/table]
0%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Gorillas[/td][/tr][/table]
5%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Hydras[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Hyenas[/td][/tr][/table]
14%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Monkeys[/td][/tr][/table]
2%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Moths[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Nether Rays[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Porcupines[/td][/tr][/table]
No votes
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Quilen[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Raptors[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Ravagers[/td][/tr][/table]
No votes
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Riverbeasts[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Rylaks[/td][/tr][/table]
0%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Scorpids[/td][/tr][/table]
0%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Serpents[/td][/tr][/table]
7%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Shale Spiders[/td][/tr][/table]
3%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Silithids[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Spiders[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Spiritbeasts[/td][/tr][/table]
4%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Sporebats[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Stags[/td][/tr][/table]
0%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Tallstriders[/td][/tr][/table]
5%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Turtles[/td][/tr][/table]
0%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Warpstalkers[/td][/tr][/table]
6%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Wasps[/td][/tr][/table]
No votes
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Waterstriders[/td][/tr][/table]
No votes
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Windserpents[/td][/tr][/table]
3%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Wolves[/td][/tr][/table]
2%
[table=border:none;display:inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,vertical-align: middle;]Worms[/td][/tr][/table]
2%

Total votes: 316

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: Which families most need additional or updated looks?

Unread post by Sukurachi »

My primary vote goes to wolves.
I find the WoW wolves to be emaciated and dull.

I wish they'd put a tiny bit more meat on their frames, remove that horrible slouched posture, give them a more anatomically realistic waist line, and MAYBE not give them all those open slavery mouths with ridiculously large teeth.

They also made almost all wolves the blandest of colours. And the textures don't look anything like fur. More like a Ken doll's hair.

While I didn't add dogs in my vote, they could certainly use a BIT more variety than that single mastiff look.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I do wish we got a better wolf model - not just a texture update. But an entirely new model. My biggest peeve with the WoD wolves is that odd chunk of fur on the back of their necks... When running and sitting it looks ridiculously huge. On the worg/mount model it doesn't look as bad, though.

That being said wolves have gotten a lot of attention. Gara, the fel wolf, the tons of wolf mounts, etc... hyenas and bears definitely need a make-over first.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Dusk
Realm: Darkspear(EU), Aszune(EU)

Unread post by Dusk »

I'm surprised nobody has commented about gorillas, I agree with people about bears and hyenas though, but gorillas definitely need new models, maybe even put Pandaria and/or Northrend yetis in the family(I know that will probably never happen,but it's just a thought)
I'm an "Artist" and is not the greatest one in the world

DA:
http://penguinking231.deviantart.com/#
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Bug wrote:I'm surprised nobody has commented about gorillas, I agree with people about bears and hyenas though, but gorillas definitely need new models, maybe even put Pandaria and/or Northrend yetis in the family(I know that will probably never happen,but it's just a thought)
I think you're right, they sorely need an upgrade. They're one of the families with the oldest models and fewest looks.

Sadly yeti were defined as humanoids long ago, and my gut feeling is that it's unlikely to change now. But there's no reason they couldn't use the most recent model (which knuckle walks) as a starting point to designing a new gorilla. A few modifications to make it less like the current one, remove the horns, modify the face, and you'd have a pretty awesome, high-quality primate :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

1. Bears - they need some real love. And they're my favorite pets... ;)

2. Hyenas do require an update a bit more but, I prefer bears. Sorry, personal favourism :P

3. Gorillas - I wish they'd add yetis to the family, especially pandaria ones, they're gorgeous! (and they're humanoids, I know, but awww... :3 )

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: US - Skywall/Cenarius Alliance - Nesingwary Horde

Unread post by Seilahyn »

Not playing right now, but would LOVE for:

Basilisks - Why they didn't update the Basilisks when they did the new croc models is beyond me. Seeing as they are pretty much the same skeleton, it wouldn't have been hard. With the release of Draenor I was expecting new ones. Nope. I like the Outlands models, but would like more colors. The old skin has a TON of color combos.. but is so... old.

Corehounds - Very limited on these. You have the (what I view as ugly) molten ones, and then the white doggy one. Thank god for Drakeadon being added. He's the only real desirable corehound to me.

Hyenas - These poor guys. They broke their backs and made them even less cool. I liked the coloring on Snort, but the change to their stance really killed me like of them completely. Give them some love.

Serpents - I LOVE the cobra models, and arcane wyrms as well. They could both use a nice upgrade, and a lot more colorations.

Warpstalkers - Warpies! I love my Warpy. I was SO EXCITED FOR DRAENOR because I thought I'd get a SUPER AWESOME NEW WARPY WITH HIGHER QUALITY sDGJasldgjoweirmv!!!1 Nope... I was super let down. Updated model with more colorations would be awesome.

I have often come back to the game because of new pets being added that I want... I would probably have a hard time resisting if Warpies got an update... or anything else I like gets cool new models. Cats, of course, are my favorite, but they have gotten a lot of love. I wouldn't mind seeing more, but these other guys need some of the spotlight.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Well, it looks like we got our wish with bears. I wonder if we'll see hyaenas (the other top vote) too :)

The new core hound model exists at least, they just need to add it as a wild beast, and make a green fel version! (and maybe a purple void / fel one too, this time :D )
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wain wrote:The new core hound model exists at least, they just need to add it as a wild beast, and make a green fel version! (and maybe a purple void / fel one too, this time :D )
Agreed!!! :D
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Don't forget the new basilisks!
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I'm one of those strange kind of people that don't mind having pets with outdated graphics. Still, I think it would nice to see some more variations of tallstriders, hyenas, & spiders (specifically tarantulas) in the game.

Rams need to be updated. Yes, technically they are not tamable but I've always wanted one for my Dwarf Huntress if and whenever they should be. The mount version is quite decent but the wild versions found on the mountain passes need a lot of love! Their facial structures are blocky and undefined, while their legs suffer from clipped graphics (not sure what the correct/official term is) that so many Vanilla-era beasts suffer from.

If it's not too much trouble, I'd also like to see some rhinoceros beetle/stag beetle model(s) added at some point. Just another variation to consider for a pre-existing pet family.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I voted for bears, hyenas, core hounds, serpents and gorillas.

BEARS! Holy crap, we've been staring at the same polygon-with-a-head for way too long now.

Hyenas! I really like the idea of them, but I just can't click with the poor things because they look awful. And their run is kinda bad, too.

Core Hounds! Tallstriders! I had to change to tallstriders. I've always had a soft spot for them, and they've been around since the beginning with the same darned model and skins ( with the exception of the purple one added in BC). It would be neat if some hawkstriders were added, or perhaps something totally new!

Serpents! It would be SO COOL to get some of those python-like models.

Gorillas! While it's not a popular family, they could definitely still use some updating and variety. Maybe more people would use them if they didn't look so creepy and dig at their butts every two seconds.

I know cats already have a ton of skins, but I would love to see the "traditional" cats that have been around since the beginning given some better models. They look pretty bad, too.
Last edited by Rhyela on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Bears and Hyenas easily top the list, but I also want update spider and tarantula models. Widow type models should not have antenna, certainly not as they do currently. And lordy or lordy do they need to do a new tarantula model, badly.
Last edited by Kayb on Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Oona

Unread post by Oona »

Bears. For goodness sake they were the very first pet we all saw back in the classic wow trailer,so we're the respect they deserve?

Hyenas. Next to raptors,they are the pet that I associate most with the Trolls,and yet,none seems to use them probably due to to their outdated and insipid model.

Tall Striders. As someone already said,use the prehistoric Terror Bird for inspiration.

Dogs. Man's best friends deserves more than the demon dog and British Bulldog model to represent them.

Netherays.Give us a real stingray/manta model already.

Shale Spiders. Except for their animation,right now they have almost nothing going for them.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Equeon »

Kayb wrote:Widow type models should have antenna, certainly not as they do currently.
I agree with the new tarantula model, but what do you mean by this? Spiders don't have antennae.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Equeon wrote:
Kayb wrote:Widow type models should have antenna, certainly not as they do currently.
I agree with the new tarantula model, but what do you mean by this? Spiders don't have antennae.
Hrm, I think perhaps it was a typo and Kayb meant to say "shouldn't"? At least that's what I'd assume because I agree, they shouldn't really have them. Though spider models in WoW are very inaccurate anyways once we start looking at them more closely. The WoW models kind of have them split into 3 segments like an ant, but spiders only have a cephalothorax and an abdomen. I'm assuming the "antennae" on them are supposed to be palps, but they're not the best representation of them. :P
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Equeon »

Vephriel wrote:Hrm, I think perhaps it was a typo and Kayb meant to say "shouldn't"? At least that's what I'd assume because I agree, they shouldn't really have them. Though spider models in WoW are very inaccurate anyways once we start looking at them more closely. The WoW models kind of have them split into 3 segments like an ant, but spiders only have a cephalothorax and an abdomen. I'm assuming the "antennae" on them are supposed to be palps, but they're not the best representation of them. :P
That would make a lot more sense. The WoW widows' palps are pretty long and spindly

compared to what they are in real life.

Besides tarantulas, having more accurate spider models would be cool... but then again, this is in a world where crabs and water striders have four legs. :roll:
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I picked basilisk, bear, corehound, serpent, tallstrider. I should probably have put hyena in there. Hyenas, bears and tallstriders are, in my opinion, the most desperately in need of attention. They are small families to start with, and all of them have about 1 pixel to share between them. A new model would be great, but I'd settle for a reskin, just to bring them sort of up to speed. I know I'm being snobby, but I just can't look at that outdated of a pet next to the new character models. Its a painful dissonance. And I really like hyenas, bears and tallstriders :(
Any family that doesn't have one or more member whose graphics are up to Cata or better standards needs help, I think. I'd like to see the existing new models applied were appropriate across the board, like the Draenor wolves replacing all the "little wolves" and the mount corehound model replacing at least the red one, as mentioned above, the nice looking stags replacing the blocky ones that have particle-board antlers, the Pandaren tiger model replacing the smaller cats. It seems like a common-sense move that could be done with just recoloring and slapping the skin on. I know the skeleton is the same underneath. Maybe it isn't that easy, but I wonder why it's not been done.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I wholeheartedly agree with Teigan! Any family that doesn't have at least one updated model needs special attention. Although, I'm not sure if outright replacing them is the answer, since I know a lot of hunters are attached to their one-pixel pets.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Equeon wrote:but then again, this is in a world where crabs and water striders have four legs. :roll:
And cocodiles have six! :shock:
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Vephriel wrote:
Equeon wrote:
Hrm, I think perhaps it was a typo and Kayb meant to say "shouldn't"? At least that's what I'd assume because I agree, they shouldn't really have them. Though spider models in WoW are very inaccurate anyways once we start looking at them more closely. The WoW models kind of have them split into 3 segments like an ant, but spiders only have a cephalothorax and an abdomen. I'm assuming the "antennae" on them are supposed to be palps, but they're not the best representation of them. :P

Yes that was a typo sorry, they should not have antenna
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net