Noticed something strange about the stormcrow pets...

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Noticed something strange about the stormcrow pets...

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

I didn't see this discussed anywhere else so forgive me if this has already been said, but the Daggercap Hawk and Fjord Crow share the same model and texture, but are different. The Daggercap Hawk uses the druid flight form animations, while the Fjord Crow uses the old owl/buzzard animations. Noticed this while helping a lowbie friend find some unique pet models. They even have different portraits when targeted and the Daggercap Hawk seems to be lit up as if it were moused over. The Fjord Crow is a little stiff and might be the only one with this model to be using this animation set. I just thought this was interesting and again, I apologize if this was already noticed.

http://wow-petopia.com/look/stormcrow.html

Edit: took a minute to look at Wowhead links for the different birds, seems some of them do use old owl/buzzard animations and others use the flight form animations. Still, thought it was worth mentioning.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Noticed something strange about the stormcrow pets...

Unread post by Wassa »

Yup. This is due to the age of the models. Birds that where in-game before the druid flight form was designed in Wrath use the old owl/carrion bird/parrot animations. Newer bird models use the druid flight form animations.

Black stormcrows are oddballs as they use both the new and old models. All the black stormcrows in BC and the Fjord Crow use the old model. The Fjord Crow is in a Wrath zone but with it using the older model shows this NPC was made early in Wrath development before Blizzard worked on the flight form for druids. The Daggercap Hawk in the same zone was probably added later in development.

The older model used to not be able to do the trick animation but I believe Blizzard fixed that (I've been away from WoW for a long while so correct me if I'm wrong).

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I hadn't noticed the animation thing, but that's an interesting quirk :)

I still wish they'd remove the stupid night elf ears from the beast version. Or at least turn them into long plumes (like owl "ears") instead of actual ears. :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
biscitandchina
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: winterhoof

Unread post by biscitandchina »

I actually find that part of the ravens too be cute.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Wain wrote:I still wish they'd remove the stupid night elf ears from the beast version. Or at least turn them into long plumes (like owl "ears") instead of actual ears. :P
I wish they'd removed them from the druid versions too. Birds with ears just look bad. No offense to anyone's 3 year old who drew a picture of a bird with ears.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Nice find!

Seems as Daggercap Hawk and Duskwing Crow(Kun Lai Summit) shares the same flying animation while Fjord Crow, Dire Raven(Blade Edge Mountain) and Brood of Anzu use the 'beast' flying animation.