Does anyone else get embarassed by their pet names?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Does anyone else get embarassed by their pet names?

Unread post by Flyra »

I feel so dumb posting this but just wanted to share.

So I currently reside on a realm of hardcore raiders, I used to be on quite a quiet realm and gave my pets cool names (like Nox, Zera etc, etc) but now everytime I'm out and about and I see other hunters with pets without names or just called "pet" or "tank" I feel like an idiot? For being creative?

Idk... I know I should probably think "who cares" but I'm an extremely self-conscious player. It's got to a point where I've stabled all my favourite pets and have purposely tamed nameless dull pets to keep up appearances and it's making me feel like a right lemon.

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Re: Does anyone else get embarassed by their pet names?

Unread post by Makoes »

Wow is a GAME and it's about having fun. If you like running with named pets, then run with them. Who cares if someone doesn't want to name their pet or hasn't found the right name for their pet. You play with your per the way you want to.

Games are meant to be fun and not everyone plays the same way...if they did, it would be pretty darn boring.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I don't RP.
I don't raid.
I don't PvP.

I'm basically playing WoW to do quests and have some fun with a few friends.

And I AGONIZE over every pet I tame to find a name that means something to me.

If someone has a cat pet named cat, well, I don't care. That's their business.
I name my pets because it brings me pleasure.

You should just enjoy the game :) and ignore whatever anyone else might say or think.
All that matters is the pleasure that the game, and your pets, bring to you.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

How dare you name your pet and be creative. PFT

Honestly, I don't think people even notice. If they do, I don't think they care in the slightest. I always pick names with sentimental value, or with a meaning behind it. For example, I picked an African name that meant spirit for my Loque'nahak. It's way more fun, and helps me build more of a bond with my virtual pets. Where's the fun in naming it pet or leaving it as "wolf" or 'cat"?

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

If anything, I look down on the people who never name their pets or name it something really stupid or lame. (And I report the ones with obscene choices...)

It's better to name your pets something creative, and /snub to anyone that says different!

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

Pff, Who cares what people think, As long as you aren't giving them gross or rude names I think you should have fun with it!

Sometimes I give them their original names, because I like them (Like Amaukwa.)
Heck, I've named pets things like Butter and Avocado 'cause I thought it was cute and fitting..

Enjoy playing the game as you like to play it. <3

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

After snooping around this forum and seeing other people's pets and even traipsing through through a ton of my older posts I've decided to just go ahead and unleash the creativity again. I realized the only reason I picked a hunter in the first place was for the pets and that's what I enjoyed most the whole way through the game.

Thank you for all your replies, they actually made me feel a bit more confident.

Now off I go. Azeroth is not prepared for these new names I'm cooking up.

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Yay Flyra! I think pets with creative names are wonderful, so go for it!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Though, I gotta say, I have a dwarf with a tarantula named Boris and it's the dumbest thing ever and yet I still can't see her with ANY other pet, haha.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I thought this was going to be about those occasional ridiculous names you see (FLUFFYBUTTS, murderpop, Imwithstupid), etc.

Giving your pets names like Nox or Zera is excellent and makes your pet a little more personal and interesting.

If no one has complained that your pets have non-boring names, then you're just being overly self-conscious. Enjoy being creative and having fun with your pets!

If any of those "hardcore raiders" do complain about your pets' names, you can tell them off for their own lack of originality and where, exactly, they can stick it.

When I still did pugs regularly, I would sigh a little every time I saw "Wolf" or "Cat" or "Spirit Beast".
I just thought, "Really? Having a pet isn't even optimal for raiding right now... so you're dedicated enough to keep your companion, but not enough to give it a friggin name?!" :?
Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

Maybe the ones with pet that are still "wolf" or "hyena", etc. just don't have find the right name they want yet ? I know it's the only time I run with unnamed pets, it can be quite long before I find the name for them sometimes.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I am one of those people I name a pet by it's personality or if it has a special meaning. Like Inay said it can take a while before they get their name. But. I do have some pets on certain hunters with :oops: type names. My alliance main has a pet she rarely uses just because of this as does my little gobbie hunter. Most people find their names funny especially when PetEmote puts out something fitting. But. Just in case they stay in the stables. I don't want to offend or tick off anyone just because I cannot bring myself to release /rename them.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Shamefully i must admit that when i played I cringed at pets without names..I used to pm the owner and say that named pet would do 5 % mora damage...and often they named it after that :oops:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Tårnfalk wrote:Shamefully i must admit that when i played I cringed at pets without names..I used to pm the owner and say that named pet would do 5 % mora damage...and often they named it after that :oops:
LOL, nice
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Tepin

Unread post by Tepin »

I see a lot of pets just named Gara, or Dethtilac, or Loquenahak, and I get incredibly self conscious that I never name my pets after the mob they are. Ankha is PlumPretty, Banth is Wheatly (and Loque is GLaDOS because reasons), Arc is OsoDeSuerte (one of my absolute luckiest tames and I will never be able to succeed under those circumstances ever again)... Gondria and Magria are Chowder and Panini, respectively.

And I get so wound up when I take Sophialetta past a Jadefang, afraid that I'm gonna get made fun of for not keeping the original name =\
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I just named my Thok, ShockThok :lol: :mrgreen:

Bodhran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alexstrasza

Unread post by Bodhran »

Honestly I've always been more surprised/bugged by people walking about with a no name pet. (It bugged the hell out of me when my brother tamed Loq when he first came out and spent over 6 months trying to think up a name for him.) Then again most hardcore raiders on my servers tend to have the most stupid names for their toons so I think do I care what idjit thinks of my pet's names? I think long and hard about the right name for most my toons and only am a lil less anal about hunter pet names and mini pet names.

I have a running list of cool names saved on a notepad on my desktop.

Anyway I have booth serious names and silly names. For example my Worgen named Brophy has a cat named Kahlan (Sword of Truth/Legend of the Seeker ref lol) and then I have a alt with the spirit bear named "BearWithMe" which is a pun on ppl hating on hunters and their uncontroled pets and that I have a bear with me lol. Yes my humor is lame. Do I give a flying crap about boring ppl hating on my pet names? Nope, not really.

Have fun and enjoy cuz me and my collections of pets are and you should to.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Hunter:
-Hunters now earn Valor Points when they are effectively Vote Kicked from a Dungeon Finder group.
-Ettin’s Grip (new talent) allows the hunter to equip two ranged weapons simultaneously.

Dream skins to tame:
Fandral Staghelm Fire Cat Form. Kor'kron War/Veteran/Warbringer of the Horde PVP wolf mount. Xuen/Litter of Xuen! Legion Wolf Boss.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I AM embarrassed by one of my hunters' main pet's name...
he's a Pandaren, and I thought a ghostly spirit bear would be a cute pet to have as his companion (along with a white baby Blizzard bear combat pet to follow us around).

well, I was trying to name my bear some variant of Snowball, or anything related to that (I forget all the names I tried). Every single name I tried got me the dreaded "that name is reserved" message. Over and over and over.
I ended up getting so angry about it that I named my bear a naughty word in Quebecois slang :-(
It's sort of the equivalent of the English f-bomb.
Funny, THAT name wasn't reserved or forbidden!
So I sort of walk around with my spirit bear and half-worry that someone's going to report his name.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Aperture
Realm: EU - Outland

Unread post by Aperture »

Apologies for late reply but I think every pet deserves a name. I'm embarrassed to have a pet with it's default, but I usually get names pre-planned. My best one I'd say is calling my King Krush Kaiju. Works best when PetEmote says Kaiju chases a small critter of course :p
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Bloodsail Buccaneers Classic

Unread post by Serenith »

I used to be super serious about giving my pets RP appropriate names (and to a degree I still do). My human hunter has a stable of pets with a naming theme based on foods, spices, and a couple flowers. I planned a bunch for my goblin, they just aren't set yet and hers revolve around gemstones or anything valuable or flashy. I kinda have a plan for my gnome but from what I remember I only named her rabbot, which is Buttons, the name I gave to the mini pet version cause it was my loony blood elf's favorite companion and I just had to name it that for nostalgia. But I think it works XD

But I think my all time favorite name for any pet I have named is my King Krush, which is "Squash"! After the vegetable and it sounded so fitting. I'm sure some people think my names are silly, but I adore them. And thats what matters! :D

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!