Particle colour variants and firefly glows

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Particle colour variants and firefly glows

Unread post by Wain »

We just got particle colour changes working properly in Wow Model Viewer, which means for the first time the firefly skins show their proper coloured glows, and not just the default green one. The images on Petopia have been updated.

The interesting part (sort of) is that two of the firefly colours have two different glow colours each defined for them. In each case there's a version with a yellow glow, as well as the one that matches their body colour.

Purple:
Image Image

.. and Red:
Image Image

The part that makes it less interesting is that I can't find any beasts with the yellow glow versions, otherwise we'd have more appearance options.

For companion pet collectors there is variation, however. The Mei Li Sparkler is purple with purple glow, while the Tiny Flamefly (from the quest in Burning Steppes) is purple with yellow.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Fire Spider colour variation

Unread post by Wain »

Examining the fire spiders in the updated WMV, it appears that one green fire spider has a different appearance to the rest. The Demonfang Crawler in Tanaan jungle has yellow fire over its body. All previous green fire spiders have had orange fire! User screenshots on Wowhead confirm this. Again, Wowhead's own model viewer doesn't support the colour changes and won't show the difference.

Image Image

I checked the other colours but only orange fire has been used on the rest. It's a shame. It would have been cool to have blue fire on the purple spider :)
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Particle colour variants and firefly glows

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ooh I love the green fire on that spider! I agree, the red/orange fire has always been a bit out of place on some of the skin colours. I would have loved blue fire on Deth'tilac. D:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Interestingly, the purple firefly variant has shown up on the Moonglow Locust, in Suramar in Legion.

The difference between it and the other purple fireflies is subtle, but the glow on its abdomen is a kind of peachy colour, instead of purple. That's it on the left:

Attachments
PurpleWaspComp.jpg
PurpleWaspComp.jpg (497.9 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

You have such a great eye for detail! :D I love these little variations. I wish I wasn't so hopelessly attached to my Kirix tame; I REALLY love the yellow flames. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Kalliope wrote:You have such a great eye for detail! :D I love these little variations. I wish I wasn't so hopelessly attached to my Kirix tame; I REALLY love the yellow flames. :D
Actually I wouldn't have noticed except for my work on WMV on particle colours. So I didn't notice them in game, I noticed them as data first and then went looking in the game ;)
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Wain wrote:
Kalliope wrote:You have such a great eye for detail! :D I love these little variations. I wish I wasn't so hopelessly attached to my Kirix tame; I REALLY love the yellow flames. :D
Actually I wouldn't have noticed except for my work on WMV on particle colours. So I didn't notice them in game, I noticed them as data first and then went looking in the game ;)
But you did notice! :hug: In game or not, it's a wonderful catch. ^^

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Excellent you noticed this.

Makes me curious if the Pandarin water striders with the glowing bums may have changed or not?

Dumb question Wain. With the corrections being made on Petopia do I need to check the pets by color thread to make sure links are correct still?

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

zedxrgal wrote:Dumb question Wain. With the corrections being made on Petopia do I need to check the pets by color thread to make sure links are correct still?
Good question. I'm not 100% sure. Sorry :P

I think some crabs changed colour names, because there was some confusion there. I know a moth or two needs to but hasn't yet. That's all I can think of.