Ways to persuade Blizzard to make certain beasts Tameable?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: Ways to persuade Blizzard to make certain beasts Tameabl

Unread post by Quiv »

Wain wrote:I suspect, as many of you have already guessed, that there's no hard rule or plan, it's a little random and relies on what works at the time, some whim, gut feeling, and what the area designers want to use for artistic / story reasons. Hunter pets usually aren't the first thing on their minds when populating areas (rightly so!) and sometimes we just get what we get. When Jeremy and crew (and other wonderful Hunter-friendly designers too!) have time they very kindly add to, or modify, the situation to give us more things, and more colours of things, but in the rush of production that can't always be the case.
Wait... are you saying we don't have a 10 man team of devs devoted simply to the desires of a subset of 1 of the 11 classes? I protest! Seriously though, this is good perspective to have and be reminded of. We mustn't consume their past generosity happily, only to then turn and crap a bunch of entitlement on them in return. Theres a fine line between wish lists and demands. But if I don't get dread ravens and skyscreams and scytheheads and beavers, then I'm peacing out #unsub

jk

Valnaaros wrote:I'm not against Dread Ravens or Kunchong becoming tamable, I'm just wanting for it to be done right. Have a small questline where we earn the right to have them as companions, rather than just "in 8.0, you can now tame Kunchong and Dread Ravens!"
I hope they consider stuff like this. I know it takes resources to come up with stuff like quest lines and what not, I get that. I just think this sort of stuff is often looked over. I badly wanted a questline for hunters in WoD once we reached a certain rep level with Arakkoa Outcasts were they trusted us enough to share their secret and taught us how to tame the dread ravens. It would add flavor, would be easy to reasonably gate and pace, and give us more story with the family instead of simply flipping a database flag from false to true. I don't think ALL new inclusions need this, that would probably be bad, but some would be cool!
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Quiv wrote:I hope they consider stuff like this. I know it takes resources to come up with stuff like quest lines and what not, I get that. I just think this sort of stuff is often looked over. I badly wanted a questline for hunters in WoD once we reached a certain rep level with Arakkoa Outcasts were they trusted us enough to share their secret and taught us how to tame the dread ravens. It would add flavor, would be easy to reasonably gate and pace, and give us more story with the family instead of simply flipping a database flag from false to true. I don't think ALL new inclusions need this, that would probably be bad, but some would be cool!
This or something very close is an amazing idea! It could easily be done simpler though by making it like the feather manes. Once you reach exalted reputation with that faction you can buy a tome for X amount of gold /apexis crystals that teaches you how to tame them. It could be done like this (seemingly) easily. If they wanted to make it harder they could toss in a mechanic like with the Panthara. I would love to see mechanics like this created for a lot of creatures. Maybe even something fun like this could be done with maggots /larva. The tome of dinomancy (?) could be broadened out to the other armored dinos & skyscreamers.

Yes please!

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Dear goodness. No more panthara-esque drop shenanigans unless it's a decent drop rate. This whelpling-esque droprate is for the birds.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Novikova wrote:Dear goodness. No more panthara-esque drop shenanigans unless it's a decent drop rate. This whelpling-esque droprate is for the birds.
Agreed. It is more of a pain than it is fun; especially since the taming method is so touchy.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Valnaaros wrote:
Novikova wrote:Dear goodness. No more panthara-esque drop shenanigans unless it's a decent drop rate. This whelpling-esque droprate is for the birds.
Agreed. It is more of a pain than it is fun; especially since the taming method is so touchy.
It's not even the drop rate it's the fact it doesn't work if something glitches etc that's the main killer for me. I don't mind working for things (although that rate is ridiculously random) but to work and then it all be for nothing through no fault of our own is just balls.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Novikova

To me, it's both. If it were more common, but mildly touchy, okay. 9 hours of farming wasted because or because someone ran by is just eh.

In the meantime, I'd totally bring cookies if we got that pink and purple frill cat... TWO COOKIES, even.

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I didn't mean that exact method just a like mechanic. :roll: :lol:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Novikova

zedxrgal wrote:
I didn't mean that exact method just a like mechanic. :roll: :lol:
... I had my concerns! Some people really enjoy pain, for all I know.

Dysphoria
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Dysphoria »

And then there are the mobs which are not tagged as beasts that really should be imo.....such as the Aberration Warpstalkers.

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id=warpstalker_void

I have never really cared for warpstalkers but dayum! These just look so amazing with their white twinkling eyes! I wish I wish I wish.

Also the spiders on Argus/Broken Shore that for some reason are all demons.

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... pider_blue

Not sure what's up with that decision.......oh well.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The Voidstalkers are probably far too difficult to control through normal means, and are probably more Void than they are beast.

As for the spiders, they aren't actually spiders. They are hatchlings of the Aranasi race. When they get older, they'll grow an Nerubian-esque upper body, if they're male. Or they'll turn into a more humanoid form if they are females.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:As for the spiders, they aren't actually spiders. They are hatchlings of the Aranasi race.
They've also used them for non-Aranasi spiders, some are even labeled beasts, but they're still non-tameable. I don't know if the Suramar ones are implied to be the children of the elves that were mutated by the explosion of the arcan'dor, or if they're spiders that were mutated by it. If the latter they could be potentially tameable, but at the very least probably should have been labeled aberrations rather than demons. The ones that spawn in the sewers of Dalaran are, I think, just mutated spiders.
Valnaaros wrote:When they get older, they'll grow an Nerubian-esque upper body, if they're male. Or they'll turn into a more humanoid form if they are females.
The whole thing where males look like Nerubians and females look like buxom women reminded me of an Oglaf web comic. It made fun of the fact that in so many fantasy races in games (not just WoW), the males all looked wildly different, but the females all look like variations on buxom women. I won't link it because Oglaf is NSFW :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I don't always go by the labels, since there are things that are labeled something that doesn't make sense for them. And yes, the ones in Suramar are the children of the Fal'dorei. There are a few Broodmothers that watch over their eggs that, when attacked, hatch into the demonic spiders.
Dysphoria
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Dysphoria »

Valnaaros wrote:The Voidstalkers are probably far too difficult to control through normal means, and are probably more Void than they are beast.

As for the spiders, they aren't actually spiders. They are hatchlings of the Aranasi race. When they get older, they'll grow an Nerubian-esque upper body, if they're male. Or they'll turn into a more humanoid form if they are females.
So it looks like Void Elves are getting a Voidstalker as their default pet! I wonder if this will be tamable by other races.....?

EDIT: Original video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GifahTVQhbs

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Aye, this was mentioned over in the main pet thread. It makes sense for the VEs to use them, since they have more knowledge and control over the Void than most. :)