Lv 80 and a new dilemma..

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: EU-Arathor

Re: Lv 80 and a new dilemma..

Unread post by kairii »

tbh about npcscan ill be honest its a amazing addon... but not 100% ... i had it from day one i got my hunter and it NEVER went off for a spirit beast my catche was clean so it wasnt that D:

A huge thanks to kamoodle5 for the amazing signature

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Telsek wrote:Apologies in advance if you're already using it, but I'm curious if you find the mod NPCscan helpful with tracking down these BM pets, as they are all rares and that's what this mod does well... alerts you to the presence of a rare. I got it from Curse Gaming.

best,

Tel
Sorry but I don't use npcscan, don't see the point tbh unless you're afk camping. Tho I even got Arcturis afk camping without it.

I use a target macro and just spam it- but even without using it I got Loque and STD cat. I got the target macro up for Skoll since one of his spawn places are yellow mobs- and incase he's been killed just before I got there.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Actually, NPCScan is useful even when you're not afk camping. It alerts you when the game loads the model, which means that it will react before the mob is even within viewing distance. It even alerts you before the mob has spawned sometimes. It's always incredibly useful.
Last edited by Saturo on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yup, I agree with Saturo.

Targetting macros are fine,but honestly NPCscan is just that much better. It has advantages over mashing a button continuously, and also it's great for when you're just sitting in one spot for hours. It's easy for you mind to start wandering, so if you happen to zone out for a bit you can rest assured that the alert sound will definitely notify you.
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

That... seems a bit cheap- I thought it would only alert you if it was near you not something that seems[?] zone wide[?]

I'm happy with my targeting macro- it's not like one or the other will cause Skoll to spawn any faster, or if at all :|
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

It's not zone wide, it just has a slightly increased range, that's all. ^^ I don't consider it cheap - when I'm out there camping a rare beast for 10 hours I want as many tools at my disposal in order to ensure I see it and am able to get to it as fast as possible. :)
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

I can attest to it going off just before--it was a pretty slight difference in time, but the sound went off for NPCscan just before Skoll waltzed out of thin air for me.

VERY useful, I think. Even if you just want to soar around, it saves you the time of having to buttonmash. PLUS, you will find rares you AREN'T specifically looking for, too, which is VERY nice. Macros are cool, but if you don't program your macro to look for TLPD too, then TLPD could soar right overhead and if you aren't looking you won't spot him. NPCscan will make sure you know however, and give you a heart attack/adrenaline boost to boot. :D

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Basically, there's no downside to using it. Considering that you're often going up against other people who ARE using it, to NOT use it generally puts you at a disadvantage in terms of range and it means you pretty much HAVE to babysit your WoW window.

I suppose the only disadvantage is that it can make a casual searcher lazy. But really, it just gives you an extra set of eyes.

Hunters are actually quite spoiled. Most classes do not get tracking. It's a nice fallback for macro-mashing....but I'll pass on getting carpal tunnel from doing that (again), thanks. ^_^

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

VelkynKarma wrote:VERY useful, I think. Even if you just want to soar around, it saves you the time of having to buttonmash. PLUS, you will find rares you AREN'T specifically looking for, too, which is VERY nice. Macros are cool, but if you don't program your macro to look for TLPD too, then TLPD could soar right overhead and if you aren't looking you won't spot him. NPCscan will make sure you know however, and give you a heart attack/adrenaline boost to boot. :D
Er I couldn't care less about the TLPD on Yas. She only has basic flying and I'm still in 2.4k gold debt to a friend over getting epic flying for my lock [CoS drake, no one else needed]. Then there's the other thing of, I could really care less, about the TLPD. Sure I would love it. But not for Yas. I want it for Ryai. Yasindra can get the violet proto or the green or blue, much less hassle, grief and or compitition.

I've given up any hope for the red at all on any alt.
Basically, there's no downside to using it. Considering that you're often going up against other people who ARE using it, to NOT use it generally puts you at a disadvantage in terms of range and it means you pretty much HAVE to babysit your WoW window.
Tbh it really doesn't. I'm really at a disadvantage over the fact that there's already usually 8+ people in SP camping for TLPD and all I have is basic flight. So even if I have the macro and it goes off well whoop. Again it's not going to help me really tame skoll.

I just want to see his damned corpse atleast so I can get to camping. But the problem?

I'm not even finding his corpse and as I said, while thankyou for the addon suggstion, it's not really going to help me in the long run until I can pin down a time to start camping cause like hell I could pull another allnighter without going mad.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Ryai wrote:
Tbh it really doesn't. I'm really at a disadvantage over the fact that there's already usually 8+ people in SP camping for TLPD and all I have is basic flight. So even if I have the macro and it goes off well whoop. Again it's not going to help me really tame skoll.
Considering how and where he spawns, you're right. You won't see him, with or without a macro, without epic flight or extreme luck (and in all honesty, you really need both).

However, that does not mean that you're not at a range disadvantage without the addon. It's two separate disadvantages. You don't have to circle a spawn point as tightly with the addon looking ahead for you.

Best of luck to you.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I found Krush without npcscan. I used beast tracking and spammed my target macro like mad, and actually found him on beast tracking both times (kind of zoned out and stopped clicking my target macro). Found Arcturis on beast tracking while I was questing, and wasn't even looking for his giant white butt. I'm sure npcscan is really useful, but I guess I'm too lazy to download addons. That and I haven't renewed my anti-virus subscription so I'm incredibly leery of any sort of download or mod. :?

So do whatever you feel most comfortable with! I'm sure the addon is wonderful but finding rares can be done without it. It probably just takes a bit more work and luck. Good luck!!! :hug:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

VelkynKarma wrote:Grab a prarie dog pet and Veph's Skoll Luck Charm :O

~VelkynKarma
Maybe that's my probelm... I've been trying a Snowshoe Rabbit, Mr. Wiggles, and the Westfall chicken... Figured out of rabbit, pork, and chicken, he'd get the munchies. Off to try the P dawg now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

FuzzyDolly wrote:

~VelkynKarma
Maybe that's my probelm... I've been trying a Snowshoe Rabbit, Mr. Wiggles, and the Westfall chicken... Figured out of rabbit, pork, and chicken, he'd get the munchies. Off to try the P dawg now.
HERESY! Thou cannot sacrifice P. Dawg for a mere spawn! Thou shalt feel his wrath!

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

Saturo wrote:
FuzzyDolly wrote:

~VelkynKarma
HERESY! Thou cannot sacrifice P. Dawg for a mere spawn! Thou shalt feel his wrath!

Well you neededn't worry about P Dawg. I'm now offering my Black War Mamoth lol...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us