New here with a few questions

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

New here with a few questions

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Hello all!

My first question is once a pet has been named are you able to rename it, if so how???? I have the rare spawn elite mist howler from Ashenvale whom I named from 'Wolf' to 'Howler' and I'm not happy with it. Shocker. Is it possible to rename him now?

Secondly will it effect my current pets to unlearn all my talents to fully spec out in Beast Mastery?? My reason for asking is that I REALLY want to tame a Devilsaur but do not have the ability to get to the Northrend since I only have Burning Crusade. My thought is to unlearn my talents, max out BM, then unlearn again after taming Devilsaur and relearn them back to where they were before taming the T-rex. I really hope that all makes sense.

Thank you!

Level 62 Draenei

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Saturo

Re: New here with a few questions

Unread post by Saturo »

1. Buy an Certifiacte of Ownership from the AH. It let's you rename them.
2. You can do that, but you won't be able to summon the Dino without the 51pt BM talent.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Helio
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nessingwary (US)

Unread post by Helio »

*never knew about the certificate of ownership* I am pleasently surprised...
Much thanks to Saturo for the awesome signature.
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Uldum

Unread post by Epicfail »

Helio wrote:*never knew about the certificate of ownership* I am pleasently surprised...
One of the few bonuses involved with inscription. Anyone can use them, but I haven't seen them on the AH in a while.

To answer the OP (#2), just stay BM. Try it out for a bit and see if you like it over what you've done so far. Most people consider BM to be the best leveling spec.
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Just want to make sure I understood your question, and the answer would be:

No - once you spec out of Beast Mastery into something else (say you went BM for the devilsaur, and wanted to go back to Marksman or Survival), you cannot use your devilsaur. He will remain in the stables. You can't even take him out to abandon him. You must have the 51-point Beast Mastery talent to even take the pet out of the stable, let alone use it. Hope that helps!!!

Oh and what everyone else said above, the Certificate of Ownership will allow you to rename your pet. I rarely see them on the AH but you should be able to find out the mats and request that a scribe make one for you.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Foru21dr
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Tanaris (Alliance) Nessingwary (Horde)

Unread post by Foru21dr »

Edrawr wrote:Just Oh and what everyone else said above, the Certificate of Ownership will allow you to rename your pet. I rarely see them on the AH but you should be able to find out the mats and request that a scribe make one for you.
On my server, they show up fairly regularly. Not every day, but I have always found them on the AH in a couple of days. Do the search for the certificate every day to see if one shows up.

and for us noobs that first used them, when you click on the certificate and apply it to your pet, there will not be a prompt for you to rename. You will then need to go and right click on your pet to to rename like you did the first time. (wasted 2 certificates before I figured out what I was doing wrong)
Nesingwary Petopians - Bitka, Quïll Xendral, Ximbol, Saehi, and Tryxter
Nesingwary Petopian Alliance - Sorree and Xylda

http://dragcave.net/user/foru21dr My Cave
zedxrgal

So is it true that there is a Devlisaur in the Northrend that is not an exotic that I would be able to tame?

I'll check the AH today and see if there happens to be one in there.

Thank you for the replies!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Nope, all Devilsaurs are Exotic beasts, and there are no Devilsaurs in Northrend with the exception of King Krush who is probably the hardest tame in the entire game. xD
Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dentarg

Unread post by Valinai »

I spent 10g on a rename certificate. The price varies based on the server. My inscriptionist can't make them yet, so I can't tell you the mats. Maybe someone in the know should post that on here somewhere for future reference?

The "tame exotic beasts" is a BM only talent. It doesn't just mean you can tame them, it means you can handle them. It's like you've had extra animal handling or are exceptionally good at animal handling so you can tame those beasts that other hunters can't.

Think of it like this: as an MM hunter, you have Chimera shot. You know the shot b/c you bought it from the trainer. Just because you respec to BM doesn't mean you get to use Chimera shot still - it's specific to the MM spec.

If you're in the field and want to be sure whether or not you can tame a best, don't forget about our trick: Beast Lore. It'll tell you if it's tameable or not.
zedxrgal

Valinai wrote:If you're in the field and want to be sure whether or not you can tame a best, don't forget about our trick: Beast Lore. It'll tell you if it's tameable or not.
See now that's the funky part. While wondering the crater doing quests I saw my beloved Devilsaur (I'm a reptile chick in real life so imagine my enthusiasm upon seeing these beasts) and the first thing I did was cast Beast Lore on him. It said "Tamable". I raced back to Gadgetzen, stabled my pet, raced back to the crater and tried to tame him then went running for my life when the red lettering came up saying "Creature not tamable". I had to feign death to save my life. Only upon researching did I find out about having to have my BM talent specs above 51. :( But to me when Beast Lore was cast he showed tamable.

I will not trust other websites for proper pet information. I was told on another site that there was a Devilsaur in the Northren who is an elite but not an exotic. Oh the heartbreak. :cry:

I will leave it for now. Maybe some day I'll get my Devilsaur.

Vephriel

Yeah, I'd say Petopia is the best site out there for current and reliable pet information. :)

The thing with Beast Lore is that it won't take into account what level or spec you are. To that spell if a creature can be tamed in some way then it will show up as Tameable. Sometimes there are details that you have to know before hand though, such as the case with Exotics.
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

The other question is, can you dual-spec? If you're high enough leveled to tame a devilsaur you would have that option, but I'm not sure if that's a WotLK thing only now.

If not, you can just keep respeccing if you want. You can still go BM, get the Exotic talent, and tame a devilsaur; then if you want to play a different spec, just swap him into the stables and use your other pets. When you feel like pulling him out again, just jump to your other spec. You can still HAVE him, since you have several stable slots; you just can't USE him unless you're specced BM.

As for rare/elite devilsaurs, I think the only NON-elite one is the one in Netherstorm. All the others are at the very LEAST elite, and in the case of King Mosh and King Krush, rare as well. And in the case of King Dred, a boss. :)

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Foru21dr
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Tanaris (Alliance) Nessingwary (Horde)

Unread post by Foru21dr »

VelkynKarma wrote:The other question is, can you dual-spec? If you're high enough leveled to tame a devilsaur you would have that option, but I'm not sure if that's a WotLK thing only now.
~VelkynKarma
Dual-spec is the way to go if you want to have a devilsaur and still keep you other talent. I don't think it is a WOTLK thing, and you get the ablity at level 40 I'm pretty sure.
Nesingwary Petopians - Bitka, Quïll Xendral, Ximbol, Saehi, and Tryxter
Nesingwary Petopian Alliance - Sorree and Xylda

http://dragcave.net/user/foru21dr My Cave
zedxrgal

I'm high enough to train for dual spec but the only issue is it's 1,000 gold. I simply do not have that much.

My only other thought is to create a new hunter character and only do the BM specs.

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

zedxrgal wrote:I'm high enough to train for dual spec but the only issue is it's 1,000 gold. I simply do not have that much.

My only other thought is to create a new hunter character and only do the BM specs.
Noooow you're thinkin'! :mrgreen: I don't know many people with only one hunter. I am sort of the exception but it's because I am just waiting to start a goblin hunter.

And like Veph said, to my knowledge this site is one of the best (if not the best) out there when it comes to pets. I've been using it for literally years and it's always been the most informative! Plus, you can go to the gallery and drool at all the pretty beastie pictures. :D

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Vephriel

Are you on the US realms Edrawr? I can't remember, but you should make a hunter alt on Nesingwary if you haven't. :D
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Vephriel wrote:Are you on the US realms Edrawr? I can't remember, but you should make a hunter alt on Nesingwary if you haven't. :D
That I am, m'dear!!! I'm on Ysera-US. I have been thinking of making a horde toon on Nesingwary with ya'll but am having so much fun on my current hunter that I'm kind of...obsessed. Hehe. But, it would be something to do in my spare time when my hubby's at work......*ponders* :D