Phoenix Hunter pet suggestion

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Phoenix Hunter pet suggestion

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

The Phoenix family. Why not? You've got Crimson Fire Hawks along with the BC Phoenix, and on the Firelands preview there are a whole lot of them.

They'd be exotic, of course. In the Ferocity tree.

Family spells:

Implosion. "The Phoenix summons a concentration of fire underneath the ground to explode, knocking the target back" 1 minute cooldown

Blast Burn: (Exotic Ability) The Phoenix uses it's flaming body as it releases energy around itself, causing AoE fire damage for (You decide) amount to enemies around it every 2 seconds and reduces it's movement speed by 50% and it is a channeled spell.
Lasts for 8 seconds.

Fly. (Useless, but another "Silly" ability that most flying pets should have) Gives itself a buff called Fly "Flying" that allows it to move a little higher off the ground. For Crimson Fire Hawks this changes their animation from ground to flying, and will change when fly is on or off. It will also work in combat, and won't be so high they can't be hit by melee.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Re: Phoenix Hunter pet suggestion

Unread post by Kurenio »

Would love to have a Phoenix pet hell i always have my phoenix hatchling out next me
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Phoenixes are legendary creatures and I believe are sentient. So much like Dragons, it's not gonna happen because they're self-aware. It'd be like trying to tame a druid. This discussion has come up several times.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Jessibelle wrote:Phoenixes are legendary creatures and I believe are sentient. So much like Dragons, it's not gonna happen because they're self-aware. It'd be like trying to tame a druid. This discussion has come up several times.
What evidence do you have that Phoenixes are about as sentient as Dragons? Do you see Phoenixes forming societies and types of buildings in their names? Alot of beasts are "Self-aware" and just because something is Legendary doesn't mean it's a god. Al'ar was the exception. (Even though it's a "God" we could still mount it. *CoughAnzucough*) Also, if you want to go into them being "Elemental" plenty of evidence that hunters don't care what kind of species it is. Dragonkin to Beast. Undead spirits as pets. Look at Core hounds and Terrorpene as well. Phoenixes were formed in the Firelands from the great flames. Dragons were formed by the ancient Titans who chose the leader of each flight. Big difference.

Also, the reason Druids were not able to be tamed were due to a player being that Druid. Heck, if there wasn't I believe you could still "trap" the Druid in it's form as a sort of Mind-control, if you will. But that's off-topic.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

And to add to that, honestly I think the reason Blizzard holds back on some pet skins or families is because people with these "Status" "Look at me I'm riding a rare mount, respect me!" mounts would feel "dishonored" if they saw a Combat version running around. Prime example is the Amani War Bear. (Even though we still got the Amani Battle Bear, lol.)

Solunerra
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Terokkar

Unread post by Solunerra »

I could see Phoenixes as a cunning pet(more so as cunning needs another exotic pet to make the pet # even). Though as much as I would love a phoenixes pet it would make more sens for fire mages or even distro locks, as both are close to Blood Mages.
Solunerra
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Terokkar

Unread post by Solunerra »

PorrasouxRex wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:Phoenixes are legendary creatures and I believe are sentient. So much like Dragons, it's not gonna happen because they're self-aware. It'd be like trying to tame a druid. This discussion has come up several times.
What evidence do you have that Phoenixes are about as sentient as Dragons? Do you see Phoenixes forming societies and types of buildings in their names? Alot of beasts are "Self-aware" and just because something is Legendary doesn't mean it's a god. Al'ar was the exception. (Even though it's a "God" we could still mount it. *CoughAnzucough*) Also, if you want to go into them being "Elemental" plenty of evidence that hunters don't care what kind of species it is. Dragonkin to Beast. Undead spirits as pets. Look at Core hounds and Terrorpene as well. Phoenixes were formed in the Firelands from the great flames. Dragons were formed by the ancient Titans who chose the leader of each flight. Big difference.

Also, the reason Druids were not able to be tamed were due to a player being that Druid. Heck, if there wasn't I believe you could still "trap" the Druid in it's form as a sort of Mind-control, if you will. But that's off-topic.
I agree......will not with the druid part...but the rest about phoenixes for being tamable.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

im gonna say thiiiisssss lol, i think Phoenixes are more akin to elemental constructs in that they are given life, in fact, i see all the elementals in WoW to be more of a construct that has been given life by their respective gods (well, they worship em like gods even if they're just demigods or powerful elemental commanders (ragnaros for example in my thoughts here))... err yea back to phoenixes... i feel like they're elementals given the same capacity to feel as if it was alive but still remains a construct which can be destroyed and recreated by beings with such power.

@Purr: I can see your point for a mount that is of elite standard but its more actually that they dont forsee themselves adding any new armored pets into our selection, they gave us the Black War Wolf (i have no idea why but i aint complaining... i like my wolf KibbleofWar heehee) but they may of perhaps thought that they were going down a path that they didnt want to go down and left it as that

And as for the druid part.... it would be far too confusing in dungeons and pvp since we cannot tame ghostly wolves with the appearence of a shaman in Ghost Wolf form, we cannot tame druid skins of Cat or bear form and they arent allowed to shapeshift into ravens or cheetahs when in a dungeon--

--cept in certain areas of certain dungeons and in outside pvp but blizzard wouldnt restrict us from that model just because druids are borrowing it, they'd get a lotta complaints since its not a 'special' model, its just a normal cheetah skin unlike their other forms which have always been unique (not speaking about moonkins, they are humanoids not beasts)
Last edited by Chimera on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Solunerra wrote:I could see Phoenixes as a cunning pet(more so as cunning needs another exotic pet to make the pet # even). Though as much as I would love a phoenixes pet it would make more sens for fire mages or even distro locks, as both are close to Blood Mages.
True, but Ferocity does need more flying pets if you want to go by balance. I remember back in old Warcraft where they can summon Phoenixes, but I still feel hunters should have the ability to tame them. I mean really, we need more Fiery pets for the theme of this expansion anyway. Wotlk had Spirit Beasts, undead and such.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

PorrasouxRex wrote: What evidence do you have that Phoenixes are about as sentient as Dragons?

As much as I'm not sure about the fact that Phoenixes are sentient, they certainly come with a "elemental" label thus far (blazewing I believe is labeled an elemental) and elemental beings so far have not been a commonly tamable pet type for hunters. We do however have Spirit Beasts introduced in wrath that has been stretching this rule with "lighting/water/spectral" themed beats, but they so far have just been that, Spirit Beasts.

As for Phoenixes becoming a tamable family..... I'm not too sure. But something similar...? say fire birds (a good friend suggested this) maybe not too far off. Within the new fireland coming in 4.2 there are fire hawks seemingly occupying the area.
As much as these do look elemental, they look a little more "beastly" than the current Phoenixes in game, but that's IMO ;)

That said I would defiantly not be opposed to having them introduced, I for one would welcome and additional families.... And if they are flaming birds, even better! :)

**edit** Typos... a lot of them lol.
Last edited by SpiritBinder on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

. . . . . . . . . screw everything i want them to be labeled as beasts. Un-mounted Firehawks are EPIC!

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Xakaal wrote:im gonna say thiiiisssss lol, i think Phoenixes are more akin to elemental constructs in that they are given life, in fact, i see all the elementals in WoW to be more of a construct that has been given life by their respective gods (well, they worship em like gods even if they're just demigods or powerful elemental commanders (ragnaros for example in my thoughts here))... err yea back to phoenixes... i feel like they're elementals given the same capacity to feel as if it was alive but still remains a construct which can be destroyed and recreated by beings with such power.

@Purr: I can see your point for a mount that is of elite standard but its more actually that they dont forsee themselves adding any new armored pets into our selection, they gave us the Black War Wolf (i have no idea why but i aint complaining... i like my wolf KibbleofWar heehee) but they may of perhaps thought that they were going down a path that they didnt want to go down and left it as that

And as for the druid part.... it would be far too confusing in dungeons and pvp since we cannot tame ghostly wolves with the appearence of a shaman in Ghost Wolf form, we cannot tame druid skins of Cat or bear form and they arent allowed to shapeshift into ravens or cheetahs when in a dungeon--

--cept in certain areas of certain dungeons and in outside pvp but blizzard wouldnt restrict us from that model just because druids are borrowing it, they'd get a lotta complaints since its not a 'special' model, its just a normal cheetah skin unlike their other forms which have always been unique (not speaking about moonkins, they are humanoids not beasts)
While I agree to a certain degree about the Elemental Constructs, if you look at Core Hounds they are Ragnaros' very servents in Molten core. But we could still tame them. We can even tame the leader of the Core hounds as of the Cata patch.

As for the armored mounts, I mean if it really is such a bother for armored pets why not just give us them without all the fancy gear? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to simply re-color and match the skin to it's skin in the armored version and give us that. Anzu would look very interesting without all that gear. As for Amani War bears I was using that as just an example. Back in BC we used to be able to have them, but then they removed them on the beta I think it was. But besides, Phoenixes don't have armor anyway. All of them have un-armored versions. I was just talking about pride and such.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Xakaal wrote:. . . . . . . . . screw everything i want them to be labeled as beasts. Un-mounted Firehawks are EPIC!
As much as I am with you on this one, my main concern with the current fire hawk model, is that it uses a protodrake skeleton.

I'm just not sure it would look quite right if your fire bird would "run" along next to you like a giant "proto" chicken run. But then they could always just have it perma flying I guess, I'm just not sure what type/kind of amount of coding would be involved... that and I'm probably looking/thinking about it way to much :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

We already can tame most creatures that have a mounted version (worgs, sabers, bears for the amani-side of your argument, dragonhawks, warp stalkers were gonna be a mount but it was scrapped and they became tameable... cant remember any others)

And good point about the Core Hounds though i believe they became tameable because they were more beastly (kinda like the elemental version of a felhound-- both are not technically beasts yet they have a better excuse for becoming a beast, same as the demon-hounds that were reintroduced as beasts in Cata). It also comes down to how much demend there is, as well as the fact Core Hounds were among the first beings to be listed under Exotic so i can see why they were chosen, they truly are exotic creatures of strange background like the Spirit Beasts.

Id loooooove to have Anzu (or Blaithe, they have the same model) armored or unarmored

@Spirit: Yea, id love to see them give the model skin to the existing bird models (perhaps stormhawk) but unless we get enough demand they wont take the time to do it :< and no no no your totally not overthinking about it lol, im under-thinking about it, things are constantly being pointed out that i didnt see before LOL it would be weird to have it waddling beside you with wings stretched out wide xD

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Spiritbinder wrote:
PorrasouxRex wrote: What evidence do you have that Phoenixes are about as sentient as Dragons?

As much as I'm not sure about the fact that Phoenixes are sentient, they certainly come with a "elemental" label thus far (blazewing I believe is labeled an elemental) and elemental beings so far have not been a commonly tamable pet type for hunters. We do however have Spirit Beasts introduced in wrath that has been stretching this rule with "lighting/water/spectral" themed beats, but they so far have just been that, Spirit Beasts.

As for Phoenixes becoming a tamable family..... I'm not too sure. But something similar...? say fire birds (a good friend suggested this) maybe not too far off. Within the new fireland coming in 4.2 there are fire hawks seemingly occupying the area.
As much as these do look elemental, they look a little more "beastly" than the current Phoenixes in game, but that's IMO ;)

That said I would defiantly not be opposed to having them introduced, I for one would welcome and additional families.... And if they are flaming birds, even better! :)

Going by the Elemental theme again, we have Core Hounds, Terrorpene, and probably Fiery versions of certain families next patch. Why wouldn't Phoenixes be an option if not only are Fire Hawks swarming the place, but also Blaze Wing circling the area as a great chance for the BC model to become a rare skin?

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Spiritbinder wrote:
Xakaal wrote:. . . . . . . . . screw everything i want them to be labeled as beasts. Un-mounted Firehawks are EPIC!
As much as I am with you on this one, my main concern with the current fire hawk model, is that it uses a protodrake skeleton.

I'm just not sure it would look quite right if your fire bird would "run" along next to you like a giant "proto" chicken run. But then they could always just have it perma flying I guess, I'm just not sure what type/kind of amount of coding would be involved... that and I'm probably looking/thinking about it way to much :)

From my post:

Fly. (Useless, but another "Silly" ability that most flying pets should have) Gives itself a buff called Fly "Flying" that allows it to move a little higher off the ground. For Crimson Fire Hawks this changes their animation from ground to flying, and will change when fly is on or off. It will also work in combat, and won't be so high they can't be hit by melee.

Just my little thought on that issue. It seemed a little silly, considering players could make your Hawk air-hump random players. But then again, you can harass people in Org as the Silithud Stam buff makes it preform the attack animation, and if you tap it over and over you can make it seem like it's slashing people. XD

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'd be interested to know what evidence there is that phoenixes in general are sentient (not just "god"/demigod ones... there are all sorts of spirits in beast/elemental form). The way I see it, living beasts are living beasts. And in WoW there's no hard line between elementals and organics. Some are composed of more organic matter, some less, some in between (core hounds, basilisks). It's a matter of them deciding in the creature is still "beastly" enough to class as a tameable beast, regardless of its composition.

I think they'd make a pretty awesome family. And extremely fitting for this expansion. So far with a strongly elemental-themed expansion we have only one tameable elemental beast, so I'm hoping we'll see stone cats and fire birds before the end (I would have hoped for gyreworms too, but they made a pretty big statement in deliberately changing them back to elementals).

And at least there are a decent number of appearances: three phoenix colours (fiery, dark, spectral) and three firehawk ones (orange, green, purple) in the database.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

I cant speak for Gondria, Ghost Crawler, Karoma, even though they are 'spirit beasts', they're not at all beast like and too much like undead or in Ghost Crawlers case, a spirit of the ocean but thing is, Core Hounds and Terrorpene are physically stable enough for the classification as a beast.

They arent see-through, they dont have any limbs falling off (looking at the undead hawks), they can be technically classified as beast or elemental, blizzard jsut so happened to file them under beasts for us. Phoenixes in TBC are too etheral like Gondria... Best place i could ever ever ever see TBC versions go is the Spirit Beast family (cant see anyone complaining if they accept that its an exotic only-- plus it will get a stealth and self heal!!)

@Wain: Omg omg omg WTB GEM CATS lol, i had a dream last night that had WoW and i have no idea what else but i was with one of my newest hunters pets (the blue/black cat with white spots) and i noticed something weird with it, i looked closer and it had the gem model :lol: they'd fit absolutely wonderfully in some parts of deepholme, i find that place too void of any kind of existing (animated?) life :3

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Xakaal wrote:We already can tame most creatures that have a mounted version (worgs, sabers, bears for the amani-side of your argument, dragonhawks, warp stalkers were gonna be a mount but it was scrapped and they became tameable... cant remember any others)

And good point about the Core Hounds though i believe they became tameable because they were more beastly (kinda like the elemental version of a felhound-- both are not technically beasts yet they have a better excuse for becoming a beast, same as the demon-hounds that were reintroduced as beasts in Cata). It also comes down to how much demend there is, as well as the fact Core Hounds were among the first beings to be listed under Exotic so i can see why they were chosen, they truly are exotic creatures of strange background like the Spirit Beasts.

Id loooooove to have Anzu (or Blaithe, they have the same model) armored or unarmored

@Spirit: Yea, id love to see them give the model skin to the existing bird models (perhaps stormhawk) but unless we get enough demand they wont take the time to do it :< and no no no your totally not overthinking about it lol, im under-thinking about it, things are constantly being pointed out that i didnt see before LOL it would be weird to have it waddling beside you with wings stretched out wide xD

Not to mention another Exotic with a strange backround are the Silithud bugs. Even though they aren't considered "Fully evolved" it seems sort of odd how we can tame them, especially the Brain Bugs. This is Warcraft. Phoenixes are just big birds covered in fire. As if it would be strange if hunters can tame them as companions. :P But I agree on the demand. It's just a dream of mine I guess. Phoenixes are one of my favorite legendary Beasts for me. Heck, many times I've tried thinking of an epic, quest-chain involved way to tame Phoenixes (Which I know that won't come) but hey, I can still hope.

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Wain wrote:I'd be interested to know what evidence there is that phoenixes in general are sentient (not just "god"/demigod ones... there are all sorts of spirits in beast/elemental form). The way I see it, living beasts are living beasts. And in WoW there's no hard line between elementals and organics. Some are composed of more organic matter, some less, some in between (core hounds, basilisks). It's a matter of them deciding in the creature is still "beastly" enough to class as a tameable beast, regardless of its composition.

I think they'd make a pretty awesome family. And extremely fitting for this expansion. So far with a strongly elemental-themed expansion we have only one tameable elemental beast, so I'm hoping we'll see stone cats and fire birds before the end (I would have hoped for gyreworms too, but they made a pretty big statement in deliberately changing them back to elementals).

And at least there are a decent number of appearances: three phoenix colours (fiery, dark, spectral) and three firehawk ones (orange, green, purple) in the database.
Exactly what I'm saying, thank you Wain.