Dropping an exotic and dual-speccing.... questions...

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Dropping an exotic and dual-speccing.... questions...

Unread post by Pent »

I am planning on dual speccing to MM or SV... whichever is the best for groups, but I am running into a couple of questions I need your help with...

I have the 4 Spirit Beasts and Aotona (the parrot from Sholozar Basin).

I am thinking about ditching the one pet that I spent the least amount of camping to get and the look that is the least appealing to me... and I know that results may vary... :P

I spent about 5 weeks of 5-6 hour days camping Aotona til I nabbed it... I walked away with the parrot and 3000+ Saronite ores along with a lot of Titanium and other mining stuffeses.

Skoll took me about 3 weeks to nab after he went live.

Loque'nahak took me all of 2 minutes... it was the first time I was in SB and I flew right up to him walking around. Lucky, I know.

Arcturis took about 4 days of constant sitting at the PC and staring at the PC... with the longest stint being almost 20 hours straight... and it didn't even show in that time...

And with Gondria... I flew around ZD a couple of nights not really "camping" him and never saw him, so I logged off at one of his spawn points and logged on one night in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep and he was just walking around like he was the King Chicken of the coup.

The one I will be ditching is Gondria. I can't part with Loque'nahak because of his unique skin and roar... and the other pets just took way too long to aquire for me to throw them away so easily.

So since the hard part is out of the way... I would like some input of opinions and whatnot on what to do next since I have ALWAYS been a BM hunter...

First, I know when I switch to MM or SV I can no longer use exotic pets, so what are the top three pet families to use in groups and still have the ability to do some solo stuff (dailies and whatnot)?

I know the wolf family has a buff that gives everyone an increase in Attack Power, but is there another pet that can "outdo" that dps increase just by doing its own thing?

What are YOUR favorite MM or SV pets that you actually use when in groups (instances) and do well in the dps category.

I don't mind having a wolf, but it seems EVERYONE has a wolf and I don't want to have to run around with a normal looking pet that everyone else seems to have .... in other words... If I was to get a wolf that "looks" different than most... which one should I go after? I kinda like the white, red, and black models... (all rare mobs, I guess.)

Also, what is the recommended spec (talent point-wise) for a DPS MM or SV hunter?
What about glyphs?

I am asking here before I look at Elitistjerks, because I think I'll get more of a casual gamer answer here. ;)

I am looking forward to everyone's comments.

And thank you!
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Re: Dropping an exotic and dual-speccing.... questions...

Unread post by Ryno »

SV: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?hunter# ... ,QwF,11159

MMS: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?hunter# ... ,ewy,11159

(These are just good specs imo, I have tested them and found them packing a good punch. These are not the "Be all end all" MMS and SV PvE specs).

For pets, DPS wise, I'd say: Raptor, Wolf, and then, I guess opinion picks the third. Maybe cats.
For soloing, pick any pet you want. If you want something to hold aggro well, something in the tenacity family will do. There is no secret pet there that's extremely better than the others.

For a special wolf I'd look for Ironjaw (http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/mobs/mob_ironjaw.html) or maybe Old Cliff Jumper (http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/mobs/mo ... umper.html). The former being much easier to find and tame. The black wolf skin is, in my opinion, not used enough. Easiest to tame is probably the Bloodmaul Battle Worg (http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/mobs/mo ... eworg.html).

Hope this helps. ;)
Last edited by Ryno on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Pent »

Same links. :P

Tired? :lol:

I think I will look into Ironjaw... after I posted I went and tamed a Frostwolf from AV... and I wish it was.... whiter... or more white... whichever works.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

pentupanger wrote:
Same links. :P

Tired? :lol:

I think I will look into Ironjaw... after I posted I went and tamed a Frostwolf from AV... and I wish it was.... whiter... or more white... whichever works.
THAT'S BECAUSE THERE IS NO MMS SPEC, HAHAHAHAHA!!! :twisted: Nah I'll fix it now. ;)

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Pent »

One more question for now... and I seriously looked for the answer at MMOC and EJ first... but evidently they are so elite that they just solo everything with non-specced pets. (Yes... I am trying to be funny) Or... I could have just missed the thread...

I have Ironjaw now and I will be speccing MM 7/57/7, but I have no clue what to put the points in for the wolf...

Ferocity tree... http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skills/ ... ocity.html

I am looking for mostly DPS skills, but I would not turn away from a needed non-dps skill if I should get it...

Opinions?

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

pentupanger wrote:One more question for now... and I seriously looked for the answer at MMOC and EJ first... but evidently they are so elite that they just solo everything with non-specced pets. (Yes... I am trying to be funny) Or... I could have just missed the thread...

I have Ironjaw now and I will be speccing MM 7/57/7, but I have no clue what to put the points in for the wolf...

Ferocity tree... http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skills/ ... ocity.html

I am looking for mostly DPS skills, but I would not turn away from a needed non-dps skill if I should get it...

Opinions?
http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc#0Md00sc00hooo

Looks decent to me.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I'd actually spec my pet into resistances, all damage he should be taking is aoe, and most aoe is magical. A living pet has better dps than a dead pet, even if the dead one has all the dps talents. Dash I'd avoid, probably replace it with charge if that's available, or just get dps stuff instead. As SV, your pet ain't a whole lot of dps, I don't know about MM, but I'd expect it to be pretty similar.

I use the Cursed Spawn skin, a kittie with glowing red eyes. It's rather common tough, and if you want an unusual pet, a wasp or a sporebat or something similar. Moths are rather unusual too, and they have a great family spell. Best DPS pet IMO is a wolf, but go for something that you want, if you want something unusual, get something unusual.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

saturo wrote:I'd actually spec my pet into resistances, all damage he should be taking is aoe, and most aoe is magical. A living pet has better dps than a dead pet, even if the dead one has all the dps talents. Dash I'd avoid, probably replace it with charge if that's available, or just get dps stuff instead. As SV, your pet ain't a whole lot of dps, I don't know about MM, but I'd expect it to be pretty similar.

I use the Cursed Spawn skin, a kittie with glowing red eyes. It's rather common tough, and if you want an unusual pet, a wasp or a sporebat or something similar. Moths are rather unusual too, and they have a great family spell. Best DPS pet IMO is a wolf, but go for something that you want, if you want something unusual, get something unusual.
All pets take 90% less damage from AoEs I think. And dash helps from point A to point B, but yeah. Just a suggestion.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Yeah, dash has it's uses. What I meant was that there's a better place for that talent point.

I actually have two identical wolves for aids, the only difference is the spec. One is for complete dps. That pet has almost no survivability in most fights, but he can increasevmy total dps by 0.5k, which is rather good for an SV hunter with no BM talents. I also keep one maxed in survivability, as I tendto forget about my pet in some fights. With survivability talents he can continue to fight, even while in a voidzone.

Sometimes, I mistreat my pets :(

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.