New Expansion Theorycrafting

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

New Expansion Theorycrafting

Unread post by Ryno »

I was thinking to myself "Say, what new pets will there be in the expansion?" Then I realized, I hadn't the slightest idea. Please, if anyone has any ideas or theories about what's to come, share them here!

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Re: New Expansion Theorycrafting

Unread post by Niabi »

I'm not really sure as to what new pets will be available with the Cataclysm expansion. I would however, like to see Blizzard update and refine the pixels on all the old school, vanilla beasts/pets. There's such a vast distinction in the appearance between original beasts and those that have since been featured in BC and WotLK. I'd just like to see more detail and smoother features brought out on the original beasts of Azeroth. Cataclysm would be the perfect opportunity for Blizzard to put this idea into action, wouldn't you agree?
Rottingham
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin; Illidan

Unread post by Rottingham »

I agree with Niabi, that they should have some remodelling done.

Also, as for pet Theories, There have been some videos from Lost Isles that show frogs and those Pterradactyl beasts (I forget the name...) SO those might be reasonable. Also, the new undead hunters might make it possible that the demon wolves in that area may become beasts and tameable as wolves or as their very own new family.

These are just soem thoughts I had on this...

Rottingham, Troll Hunter in the Petopians Guild

Check me out on youtube!

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

giant frogs? omg yes please!

wish list time!

Ants
Dragonflies
Frogs/Toads
Sprite Darter/Faerie Dragons
Pterrodax
Thunder Lizards
Parrots
Penguins (frost nova ability, woot)
Pythons (the regular snakes, not the naga-esque cobras we've had for awhile now. it is possible perople, they already exist!)
Chi Dragons (remember the little chinese dragon vanity pets from the olympics thing? hell yeah baby)
Foxes (maybe)
Basilisks
Beetles
give us a green crab too, seriously.

if i can find the file of pet ideas for the expansion idea i've been writing i'll reupload it and post it
Razzy
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Razzy »

The most reasonable beasts that would become tamable, in my opinion, are Basilisks, Silithid Wasps, Silithid Beetles, and Zhevra. I'd really like to see Darkhounds be converted to beasts, and possibly their own family. (Though it's just as well they stay wolves). I'd love to grab a blue or red Darkhound. Their stalking walk is completely awesome. It would also be interesting to see a tamed kodo or two!

On top of that, the official concept art showed a new type of raptor and another type of dinosaur, so it'll be interesting to see screenshots of those when they're completed. ;)
Jolyroger
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Draenor, Atiesh (Classic)

Unread post by Jolyroger »

Looking at the Cataclysm Video, I saw a picture of a raptor that listed on the bottom "Lost Isle Dinosaurs". So hoping there may be a new raptor. I prefer the original skin, not the BC skin. Would love to see a SB Raptor, but then they need to get the SB working correctly. Also the 2 headed turtle thing, but no ideas other than that.
Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Unread post by Darknez »

I'd like to see "beast-demons" all become tamable... like the various coloured demon boars.

Also the Pterrordax's from Un'Goro :)
and the hydras, basilisks etc...

Anything beastial... !!
Orni
Realm: EU Krag'Jin

Unread post by Orni »

At first, hi guys, I'm a german WoW Player. My (raid) main is a resto-druid but I really enjoy playing my hunter for fun, so I'm here :)

Here are some of my personal theories about what will happen. I've been quite correct with my theories the last two times 8-)

1. Pets will get even more equalized

Yes, that's true. Someone (Blizzard employee) even stated it before. Most propably the three pet types will be merged and every pet will get the same skill tree. However, this tree will most likely have every talents you need to build a good pet for every purpose. The really hard news is: They may even remove the pet race skills and put (some of them) into the pet skill tree. However, maybe we as hunters will get also a new end talent that will replace the skill trees of our pets with an other upgraded tree. Just think about the normal spider "web" ability being in the normal non-beast mastery version while it will be replaced with the silithid version in the upgraded one. Of course you won't be able to make a pet with the devilsaurs ability as well as the wolf ones and thunderstomp, but most propably you'll be able to design your pet quite as you like it to be.

2. More tamable pets

Since the classical pet families might get dumped this would be logical. You'll be able to tame pterrodaxes, basilisks, hydras, tripods and other stuff. Even pet "families" that are consisting only of one beast.

3. More rare looks

Also, since pets would be defined only by their look, most of the families might get a rare look pet. I don't think Blizzard will work much on this. They will just add a tamable rare-spawn boar that's looking like the outland ones for example. Or a simple skin-recolour, like a white raptor or something like this. The reason for this is: If the pets get equalized this much, most hunters will try to get the "most awesome looking pet". I don't think Blizzard want most hunters to camp for spirit beasts or similar stuff. Every player likes other pet families by opinion. So giving most of the families a rare look pet or two would result in a very wide variety of used pets and everybody would have his own pet-look-of-choice.
Marknar
Realm: Moonrunner

Unread post by Marknar »

Basilisk with a petrification effect (a stun ability in which target becomes immune to physical damage) .

Hydra with a Frostbolt (a damaging attack with snaring effect).

Yeti just because they look cool and should be apart of an ape family.

Stag with an impale ability (similar to rhino's ability).

Just a few thoughts,
Marknar
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Ah, all those ideas look good.

Frogs though? Don't think I've seen that yet. That would be pretty nice.

Making all the older skins/textures/etc. in the old world look modern day shiny would pretty much be the best thing they could do for WoW, I agree. I mean ya look at a pet like Jubling, then you compare that to Lil' K.T., yeah...

I do remember those new dinosaur pics when I think about it, the raptor one looked kinda like a bird with it's head shaved, take out the beak and place some fangs there... the other one was a walking volcano of sorts or something... yeah I better go take a look at all that again, hehe.

Also: Penguin with frost nova? F. T. W. That is all.

brigwyn
Realm: Khadgar

Unread post by brigwyn »

Blizzard didn't announce any new pets or skins at BlizzCon. And I haven't heard anything else since then. But then again they are playing it pretty close to the vest.

I'd guess we'd see a new Spirit Beast or maybe even an Elemental type pet to go along with the theme. Either way it should be interesting.

(Side note: I like the new forums. It was a surprise seeing them come online last night.)
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

brigwyn wrote:I'd guess we'd see a new Spirit Beast or maybe even an Elemental type pet to go along with the theme. Either way it should be interesting.
Elemental eh? They could start making elemental beasts... a gorilla surrounded by fire... lightning wasp... ice crocolisk...

Yeah that could work. They could even give them individual skills for each element... hehe.

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I'd very much like to see hippogryphs, gryphons, and wyverns added to the tamable roster for Cataclysm.

There are several variety of hippogryphs already that can be found in Azshara, Feralas, and Ashenvale, so it'd add several different skin options for hunter's to choose from. Variety ftw!

Gryphons can only be found currently in the Hinterlands and are friendly to Alliance players. Blizzard could make these creatures a Horde-only tamable pet to counter-balance the Silvermoon Dragonhawk that is restricted to Alliance players only. A unique Horde-only tamable pet, woohoo!

Wyverns can be found currently in both Thousand Needles and Stonetalon Mountains. Since it is likely that both these areas will receive a major facelift come Cataclysm, it'd sure be nice for us hunter's to provide new, comfortable homes for these ferocious little cuties!
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

we will certaintly find out whats what when the beat comes out since some of the new skins and models will be out and we can confirm any additional pets that belong to existing families.
Orni
Realm: EU Krag'Jin

Unread post by Orni »

Zangor wrote:we will certaintly find out whats what when the beat comes out since some of the new skins and models will be out and we can confirm any additional pets that belong to existing families.
The "lava turtles" will be most propably tamable ... either as normal turtles or as some exotic new family. However ... as I said, I'm pretty sure there will be no pet families in Cataclysm
Orni wrote: 1. Pets will get even more equalized

Yes, that's true. Someone (Blizzard employee) even stated it before. Most propably the three pet types will be merged and every pet will get the same skill tree. However, this tree will most likely have every talents you need to build a good pet for every purpose. The really hard news is: They may even remove the pet race skills and put (some of them) into the pet skill tree. However, maybe we as hunters will get also a new end talent that will replace the skill trees of our pets with an other upgraded tree. Just think about the normal spider "web" ability being in the normal non-beast mastery version while it will be replaced with the silithid version in the upgraded one. Of course you won't be able to make a pet with the devilsaurs ability as well as the wolf ones and thunderstomp, but most propably you'll be able to design your pet quite as you like it to be.

2. More tamable pets

Since the classical pet families might get dumped this would be logical. You'll be able to tame pterrodaxes, basilisks, hydras, tripods and other stuff. Even pet "families" that are consisting only of one beast.

3. More rare looks

Also, since pets would be defined only by their look, most of the families might get a rare look pet. I don't think Blizzard will work much on this. They will just add a tamable rare-spawn boar that's looking like the outland ones for example. Or a simple skin-recolour, like a white raptor or something like this. The reason for this is: If the pets get equalized this much, most hunters will try to get the "most awesome looking pet". I don't think Blizzard want most hunters to camp for spirit beasts or similar stuff. Every player likes other pet families by opinion. So giving most of the families a rare look pet or two would result in a very wide variety of used pets and everybody would have his own pet-look-of-choice.
Boudica79
Realm: Dragonblight

Unread post by Boudica79 »

One family I want - Hydra's :D

Nuff said really :twisted:
Razzy
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Razzy »

Niabi wrote:I'd very much like to see hippogryphs, gryphons, and wyverns added to the tamable roster for Cataclysm.

There are several variety of hippogryphs already that can be found in Azshara, Feralas, and Ashenvale, so it'd add several different skin options for hunter's to choose from. Variety ftw!

Gryphons can only be found currently in the Hinterlands and are friendly to Alliance players. Blizzard could make these creatures a Horde-only tamable pet to counter-balance the Silvermoon Dragonhawk that is restricted to Alliance players only. A unique Horde-only tamable pet, woohoo!

Wyverns can be found currently in both Thousand Needles and Stonetalon Mountains. Since it is likely that both these areas will receive a major facelift come Cataclysm, it'd sure be nice for us hunter's to provide new, comfortable homes for these ferocious little cuties!
The issue I see with this is that Gryphons, Hippogryps, and Wyverns are intelligent. They're just as intelligent as the Orcs or Humans. I doubt that such intelligent animals would allow themselves to be tamed by, basically, an equal. But then again, they're mounts so who knows?
Last edited by Razzy on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aweena
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Aweena »

im personally hoping the mastiff seen in a picture will be a new dog pet family to tame mastiff sniffing out your targets ftw tbh or as someone mentioned hippogryphs always wanted a pink flying pet

hopefully we will see some hints soon and one blizz employee did insinuate a zevrah pet but maybe he was teasing us

personally id like a diseased cat or somthing we have boars bears and wolfs in that skin or a cursed cat the green one with orange stripes

oh i could go on but most likely we will get some elemental looking beasts as the world did sunder and all sorts of things escaped.

cant wait to see the final list

If love is an illusion to hell with reality

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Hm I dunno people want a zhevra for a pet, its better suited to being a mount.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Mustafah »

Hmm, that new place near Hyjal... i forgot its name, i think will be more core hounds in it, maybe they will share model with ancient core hounds and maybe they will look different. maybe Blizz will make some dragons tameable.

Lots of thanks for TygerDarkstorm for the awesome sig!! =D

Mustafah wrote:Playable Pandaren with racial camel mount!!!