Tips for Soloing Stonecore

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Talaridan
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard (US, Horde)

Tips for Soloing Stonecore

Unread post by Talaridan »

I was wondering if it is possible for a hunter to solo Stonecore? At least up to the second boss (the one that drops the drake)?

I know the mount drops on both regs and heroic, so I was thinking about giving it a try... I wanted to know if it was even possible though. :lol:
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Tips for Soloing Stonecore

Unread post by Wassa »

Normal Stonecore isn't too hard to solo to the drake. I've been doing it since I was in t11. The trash is a lot harder than the boss.

The trick is getting the first boss to spawn. You need Millhouse Manastorm to spawn him for you. Start by camoing to the third pack of mobs. Lay a freezing trap at your feet and send your tanking pet (beetle or turtle preferred if you aren't too well geared). The Stonecore Berserkers will charge you and get trapped, then kill them one by one, killing the Stonecore Earthshaper first. Camo back to the first group. Switch to a dps pet (spirit beast preferred for the heal) and again lay a trap at your feet just in case. Now just dps Millhouse until he runs, dismiss pet (or let it die) and feign death. Camo to behind the second group and do the same as the first group. Dps Millhouse quick as the first group will aggro, once he runs, dismiss and feign death again. Once you get close to Millhouse the first boss will spawn, just run past him you can skip him.

The rest of the instance is camoing to the drake and he's easy to take down. Just keep mend pet up on your tank pet and don't stand in lava. If your pet get spiked, put it on passive and it will port to you then have it attack again. I have had my pet fall through the world sometimes on this fight. Not sure what causes it but it sucks.
Last edited by Wassa on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yup! It's very doable. :) I'd suggest just farming on regular as you can run as many times as you want, and it'll be easier.

Basically for the first trash packs just CC the Earthshaper, then burn down Millhouse Manastorm. I use my turtle for running it. Keep your pet up and the other mobs on it, then just take them out one by one. If you have to, Feign Death once Millhouse retreats and let the mobs reset. Rinse and repeat as you clear up to Corborus. Once Corborus appears, just camouflage your way past him into the tunnel. You can stealth through the entire tunnel without engaging any of the mobs in there, just step carefully. Then just run down the gauntlet and you're at Slabhide. Slabhide's fight is easy to solo, just keep your pet alive and be careful of getting out of line of sight from the pillars.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Ugh do you have to be BM for this?
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

cowmuflage wrote:Ugh do you have to be BM for this?
If you have great gear probably not, but it's easier as BM.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Wassa wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Ugh do you have to be BM for this?
If you have great gear probably not, but it's easier as BM.
That sucks.
Talaridan
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

I run Beast Master as my preferred spec, so that works fine for me. :D

And yes, definitely doing it on regular! I'm not brave enough to try it solo on Heroic. I'm pretty sure it would eat me alive!
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

so I guess that three hunters and a S-priest would be able to run Stonecore easily?

Or better yet: two hunters, a warlock, and a S-priest.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Very doable even if you aren't well geared. I farmed it up in survival spec during early Cata in a mix of blues and some 359 gear. The three packs with Millhouse require some CC and selective burning down of targets, but after that you can camoflauge all the way to Slabhide. Slabhide is super easy for a hunter as you can avoid all damage if you're on top of things.

Personally I found this easier as a solo rather than a 2 (or more) man run, unless the other person(s) can stealth. If they can't, you can still skip the first boss (just walk against the wall on the left side), but you will need to kill the trash in the tunnel before Slabhide.
Talaridan
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Thank you all for the tips and help! I will definitely start trying tomorrow, I think! :D
Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

I do this as marks, again as people said, trash is more difficult than the boss. Just watch out if you don't clear the packs with Millhouse, sometimes now he will "ping pong" between the packs! (yes, I was being lazy by not clearing all three of the packs)
Syriana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Syriana »

A few runs I've done this with an 85 deathknight. He could walk right past Coroborus by sticking to the wall, but we had to clear trash in the passageway. With the two of us though, we'd get 5 runs done before an hour was up. Solo, I would average 15 minutes a run I think. I always ran this as BM, on normal. I have not gone back since I've gotten DS gear. I usually stay surv for raids, but that should work just fine in this place.
There is also a thread here somewhere that is a guide. It was written quite some time ago, but is still useful.
hunter2011
Realm: Cho'gall , Barthilas , frostmourne

Unread post by hunter2011 »

I solo stonecore and Vortex Pinnacle as MM every now and then for stonecore i just attack Millhouse untill he moves too the second pack dismiss pet fd go to last pack kill it and then back to 2nd second pack then attack Millhouse untill he moves fd and dismiss pet
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I did this 2 times today the mobs made me angry :lol: but the boss was easy. I did try it as BM (its my offspec) but I think I'll find it easyer as MM (my main) I just know the lay out better.
Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Yeah the trash is the most annoying part... WTB a way to skip all of it! :P If only. xD

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Foru21dr
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Tanaris (Alliance) Nessingwary (Horde)

Unread post by Foru21dr »

I tried it as well for the first time yesterday, and the boss was amazingly easy. I will have to figure out the mobs better though to clean them out/avoid them. Thanks though for giving me something new to try. I would like to get the mount.

Next time I will try VP as well.
Nesingwary Petopians - Bitka, Quïll Xendral, Ximbol, Saehi, and Tryxter
Nesingwary Petopian Alliance - Sorree and Xylda

http://dragcave.net/user/foru21dr My Cave
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

I found a faster way for soloing stonecore. No trash killing needed.

DPS Millhouse Manastorm in the first group until he flees, then dismiss pet and feign death. Camo to inbetween the second and third group. Aggro the third group first, then attack Millhouse in the second group and burn him. When he flees, he won't stop at the third group because they are in combat, so he runs all the way to the boss. Just dismiss and feign again and camo your way to the drake. =)

EDIT: SWEET! The run I did after I posted this he finally dropped the mount for me! Lucky thread! hehe

Talaridan
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Awesome! Congrats! I will try out your method. Maybe it will be lucky for me too! :D
Tunderbrew
Realm: Zangarmarsh

Unread post by Tunderbrew »

As others have pointed out, this is a rather accessible solo farm for us hunters on normal mode. I recently put together a guide video for this farm and Vortex Pinnacle on normal. I hope it helps and ye enjoy.(I think I may try this on heroic soon... because I love punishment? lol) Good luck! ^_^
http://youtu.be/2QjLTP13vJQ
For Ironforge!
Warcraft Pets
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Wassa wrote:I found a faster way for soloing stonecore. No trash killing needed.

DPS Millhouse Manastorm in the first group until he flees, then dismiss pet and feign death. Camo to inbetween the second and third group. Aggro the third group first, then attack Millhouse in the second group and burn him. When he flees, he won't stop at the third group because they are in combat, so he runs all the way to the boss. Just dismiss and feign again and camo your way to the drake. =)

EDIT: SWEET! The run I did after I posted this he finally dropped the mount for me! Lucky thread! hehe
I had been following this thread & didn't even see this comment! Thanks for the extra strat (VERY useful, will try it out today!) and many congrats on your mount!!